How do I remove the 1Password Safari browser extension?

Options
Y2kWasAnInsideJob
Y2kWasAnInsideJob
Community Member

I used to use Safari, and when I did I used the 1P browser extension, but have since switched to Chrome. Every once in a while I notice Safari opens on it's own on my computer which is very annoying. Some light googling tells me it may be do to an extension being triggered. The only extension I have on there is 1P, but when I try and uninstall it, I am told I must uninstall 1P master application to do so as the extension is part of the main application. I don't want to do this. However, the 1P support page says I can simply uninstall the extension on it's own through Safari, which as stated above, I cannot do. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have a solution? Do I really need to uninstall 1P and then re-install it to remove the extension from Safari?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: OSX 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It seems likely that the support page has not been updated. Until recently, the extension was a separate item, and could be uninstalled easily.

But changes by Apple have meant that the current Safari extension is part of 1PW, so can't be uninstalled.

However you should be able to disable it in Safari > Preferences > Extensions. I expect that would solve the issue.

• Andrew_Lapadat
    Andrew_Lapadat
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Y2kWasAnInsideJob - @danco is correct, the 1Password extension is now part of the 1Password app. If you want to disable it, you can do so from Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions, and uncheck the box beside the 1Password extension.

• Y2kWasAnInsideJob
    Y2kWasAnInsideJob
    Community Member
    Options

@danco @Andrew_Lapadat unfortunately I've had it disabled for months now but the issue has persisted. Maybe it isn't the extension calling Safari to open but then I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Y2kWasAnInsideJob - unfortunately, if you're certain you've had the 1Password extension disabled, then I don't think it's anything we can assist with. Let us know if you discover anything, however! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Y2kWasAnInsideJob Yes, but please double-check. If you had the extension disabled "for months", that would have been the old extension. The current one may be enabled.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good point, @danco. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.