Keyboard shortcut stopped working

Hi,
My keyboard shortcut "Ctrl -\" has working, any suggestions on how to fix this?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you clarify when it stopped working, did it stop after updating to the new 1Password 7.3 update or it just stops after already using shortcuts fine in 1Password 7.3?

Also, please review the 1Password settings for the keyboard shortcuts, make sure it is set to Control + \ for filling.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

I am not sure when it stopped working (sorry)... With the auto update it is a hazy.
    Keyboard shortcut was set...

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Is it just the one shortcut, what about Control + Alt + \ shortcut?

Any issue with clicking the 1Password icon in the browser?

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

The icon worked
    And Ctrl- Alt-\ worked...

Then Ctrl-\ started working...

rebooting to test

• Hmm, that's odd.

Could there be another tool on your computer using Control + \?

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

Hmm, it worked that once, I rebooted and the Control + Alt + \ has not worked since... Hmm..

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it may include some errors from Windows as to why it is not registering the shortcut but I suspect there is something blocking it. Before sending it, try changing the shortcut and then changing it back, we now check to see if it can be registered when you add a new shortcut.

If no errors after changing the shortcut and it still doesn't work, please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

E-Mail sent.

• Got it, thanks. We'll reply there as soon as we finish analyzing the report.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

Perfect!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewPackwood: To avoid any further confusion, let's continue our conversation there. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: HQY-65583-233

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

There?

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Sorry, Greg meant if you could follow up in the emails for now but that was worded too strongly; we have separate folks in forums/emails and it helps if we can stick to one area to keep the flow going. Our forums and email systems are not connected, so we won't know if you replied in the forums after we're already reading the email.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

No problem.

• Thanks for understanding!

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

I set it to use ] instead of .... Muscle memory fail but software works!!!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewPackwood: If Ctrl + ] works, but Ctrl + \ doesn't, it means that most likely something else on your PC is trying to steal that shortcut. Do you have this shortcut assigned anywhere else?

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

I am trying to find out, do you know an easy way to check?

• Unfortunately, @MatthewPackwood, I don't know of any way to convince Windows to give up these secrets. What I would expect, however, is for you to see a red marker next to the Ctrl +\ shortcut when you set it if it is being used elsewhere. Essentially, we'll ask Windows if there would be any problem with us taking this shortcut, it checks whether it's available, and tells us it's no good if it is already taken at which point 1Password will show a red alert icon next to the shortcut indicating it won't work. I don't know if that's quite the same for the defaults, so you could try swapping it back and look for the red alert icon to try to confirm it's taken, at the least.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

Thanks, I will try that....

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewPackwood: Let us know what you find. Thanks! :+1:

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

And the new shortcut just stopped working.. Hmm....

• I don't suppose you have an app on your PC that might be cleaning the registry? What about if you swap your shortcut to a new one and then back to the one you were using originally – does the original shortcut start working again? I'm wondering if somehow your keyboard shortcuts are getting unregistered after being set. That's my best guess at why a shortcut would work and (seemingly randomly) stop later on. Does the shortcut ceasing to work coincide with 1Password starting for the first time that day or does it happen while it's running during the day? Sorry for the litany of questions – I'm grabbing at some straws here and having some additional info about then whens and what's going on when this occurs can help me be a bit more methodical in what I'm asking you to do so we can rule out some possibilities. :+1:

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

Actually I just tested it and this is what I found... If I change it, it works, if I change it back it works, then I reboot... Non-functional again...

• That sounds like the shortcut is available, but something is clearing registry on reboot. I believe we've added some logging that could help us track this down recently. Could you change it so it works, then reboot so it doesn't, then create a diagnostics report from your PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread. That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure we take a look as soon as possible. :+1: Thanks! :chuffed:

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

It looks like it is ONLY external keyboards (either USB or Wireless)... Hmmm.....

• Is Windows possibly assigning that external keyboard a different layout, @MatthewPackwood? Since different layouts do tend to place keys like \ in different places, an improperly identified layout would certainly explain a shortcut not working even though it's properly set.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

That is an interesting thought, how would I test that?

• I was doing some digging myself and honestly wasn't able to find anything that seemed to specify layouts, @MatthewPackwood, but I'm working on a desktop with just the one keyboard so you may see something more in Windows' language settings than I do with the extra, so that would be the first place I'd look. Make sure to do so when the shortcut isn't working, though. I know you mentioned there are occasions when it's okay so it could be things are switching up for reasons likely only known to Windows. :lol:

The other thing you might try is uninstalling the external keyboard in device manager, then plugging it back in so it reinstalls. It's been a bit since I set up a new keyboard, but I want to say that Windows will ask about the layout of the keyboard during that setup, so that could be an opportunity to specify the proper layout and see if that helps. Let me know if I'm wrong about that one though. I couldn't find it quickly and didn't want to leave you hanging, but I'm fairly certain I have an extra keyboard somewhere, it's just a matter of finding the right box in the right closet. I can absolutely do further fiddling once I hunt it down. And, of course, let me know what you find. :+1:

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

Urgh, no pattern that I can see.....

This discussion has been closed.