Syncing within shared vault

KeBa1
KeBa1
Community Member

I have just gotten myself all squared away with 1Password (Families plan), and am ready to invite my wife and another family member in. Just a quick syncing question, please. As an organizer (and I may also have my wife be an organizer) am I correct that any additions, deletions, or revision of existing files or items within the shared vault would be immediately synched to those other invited family members as well? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeithBaker1 - yep, you're correct; changes made to items in the Shared vault will be synced at the next available opportunity to any app that has access to that vault (which is everyone in the family). If someone has no internet access, out of range, etc, then they will not receive those changes until the next time they open 1Password when they have internet connectivity.

You should absolutely have your wife be a Family Organizer as well -- that way, she can help you if you ever lose your Secret Key or forget your Master Password. Without that fail-safe, if you are the only Family Organizer and this happens, the entire family's accounts - everyone's will have to be re-created. Feel free to ask us any additional questions as you get set up! :)

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Thanks much. I am also thinking that my wife and I should store each others' Emergency Kit on each other's computers, in our respective private vaults. Unless I'm missing something obvious about this idea, this plan would also provide each other with a secure backup of that document on our separate external hard drive as well as on iDrive (the cloud service that we each use. (This, rather than -- or maybe in addition to -- keeping a paper copy somewhere.

Finally, this is only the second time I've had a question (so far) for you guys, and I'm very pleased with your responsiveness. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeithBaker1 - thanks for the kind words! If you don't mind knowing each others' Secret Keys, then sure, that's a sensible plan. I know with my wife and I such a thing would not be a problem, but we have some users who want to maintain as much privacy as possible, even within the family, so I mention this just in case. Hope that helps! :)

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Sharing of the secret key is not an issue for us. I've just finished entering all the data into mine and about to start with hers, and I am considering having us both use our respective shared vaults -- using our private vaults only for the Emergency Kit. I may change my mind about this, but if we had each other's shared vaults on our computers, we could simply ignore them, until one day when one or the other of us may want to access the other's web passwords, secure items, or documents. If I were to attempt to guess right now which items among all of my data my wife may someday need to look at, I'd probably guess wrong...so may as well have all of our data in our shared files. But on a day-to-day basis, we could ignore each other's shared vaults until we may someday need that info.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeithBaker1 - the default vaults in 1Password Families are the family-wide Shared vault (of which there is only one), and Private vaults for everyone. I'd recommend against keeping nothing in your Private vault, not because I think you and your wife ought to keep secrets from one another, but because you each likely have individual logins for various things (Facebook, gmail, Instagram, etc), and if you keep all of that in the Shared vault, then you'll have multiple logins for many of the same sites. It can get confusing. My recommendation for the Shared vault is that you put items you both need to use, where there's a shared credential (Netflix, banking, etc) in the Shared vault, and keep stuff that's individual to each of you in your own Private vault(s). But of course, it's entirely up to you how you use 1Password. :)

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Oh...I misunderstood something there...but not a problem. Thanks for clarifying that there is only 1 shared vault per family. I know it's there in black & white, but didn't register with me. This will work fine, thanks. In order to move most of my current items from my shared vault to my private vault, is dragging 1 at t time my only option?

• @KeithBaker1, moving items between vaults is a little different depending on which app you're using (Mac, iOS, Windows, or Android). But each one allows you to move more than one item at a time. This guide includes instructions for each app:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/#move-or-copy-items-in-the-apps

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Thanks Rob.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeithBaker1 - tagging back in here. On behalf of Rob (and me!), you're quite welcome. Glad we were able to help clarify things a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.