Windows installer immediately halts without any error

Options

Hi, I downloaded the Windows installer (1PasswordSetup-7.3.657.exe) and whenever I attempt to execute it, nothing happens. It's as if it completely halts before any initialization or UI appears. I'm on Windows 10 Pro and had 1Password 4 installed previously. I am using 1Password X in the browser, but would like the app installed locally for non-web stuff.

Here's what I tried:

• Uninstalled 1Password 4
  • Restarted
  • Right-click, Run as Administrator
  • Compatibility mode for Windows 8

This is the only installer that behaves this way, as I tried running various other installers for other apps to be sure.

What could it be?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: X 1.13.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud Vault

Comments

• kmallea
    kmallea
    Community Member
    Options

Also, nothing appears in the event log after failed execution.

• kmallea
    kmallea
    Community Member
    Options

So I found the product history page -- https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

Neither of the 7.3 installers are executing, HOWEVER, the last 7.2 release (7.2.617) executes just fine. Perhaps that can narrow things down; what changed in the 7.3 installer?

• kmallea
    kmallea
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I ran the 7.2 installer, and then once 1Password was running it screamed at me that an update was available, so I let that process run and I'm now up-to-date with the latest version.

TL;DR -- something might be wrong with the 7.3 manual installer.

• Hi @kmallea,

Thanks for reporting this.

Did you have 1Password 6 installed in the past? We're tracking down an issue like the one you described and we found out that a very old database can block 1Password 7.3 from installing with zero information logged. The difference is that 7.2 had some extra code that helps with the old database that we don't use anymore since we don't anticipate anyone having the old one by now.

However, there isn't any difference between installing it manually and running the updater, it's the same file with the same code; that's why I think it has to do with the old database that 7.2 could update and 7.3 can't.

Can you email us your diagnostics report since 1Password is running? It'll have installer logs in there. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• SlakeDK
    SlakeDK
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm I have the same issue. 7.3.657 and 7.3.654 doesn't work, but 7.2.617 does.
    Running Win10 Home 1803. I am also upgrading from 1Password 4.

• Hi @SlackDK,

Did you ever install 1Password 6 in the past creating that old database format and leaving it behind?

Please do email us your 1Password diagnostics report as well; here's the guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Hi @SlakeDK,

Are you also able to update to 1Password 7.3 fine?

• SlakeDK
    SlakeDK
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Yes, I can upgrade to 7.3 after 7.2.
    I don't recall if I have installed 1Password 6 in the past. I did try a trial back in 2017 I think, so it is possible.
    I have sent mail with info just now.

• MikeT
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks, we got the email and will reply to it, @SlakeDK.

ref: KZN-63699-956

This discussion has been closed.