been using touch ID to open and have forgotton Master Password! Can I change master with just the to

jjc56
jjc56
Community Member

been using touch ID to open and have forgotton Master Password! Can I change master with just the touch id? just upgraded to iPhoneX and need master password to open app and enable facial recognition!
app still opens in old phone but have to surrender old phone shortly. Is there anything short deleting app from new phone and retyping all passwords again? I have quite a few in the app!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:been using touch ID to open and have forgotton Master Password! Can I change master with just the to

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@jjc56 - I'm sorry for the trouble!

Can I change master with just the touch id?

Unfortunately not. Your Master Password is what's required to unlock your data, Touch ID is simply a way to stand in for the Master Password, when you enable it in 1Password settings. "Under the hood," it is still your Master Password that Touch ID is entering into 1Password. So, if Touch ID crashes or you upgrade your device, you will need to enter your Master Password at least once in order to be able to re-enable Touch ID for 1Password. Unfortunately, this also means that if you've forgotten your Master Password, your data will be lost, with a few exceptions.

Those exceptions are: if you are a member of a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account, you may be able to have a team/family member help recover your account. Also, if you have your data synced to other devices, you may be able to access your data there, and transfer it to other vaults. If you only use 1Password on this iOS device, however, you will need to start over. Let us know if you have any questions.

• jjc56
    jjc56
    Community Member

Lars, can I delete app from upgraded device and download again new and manually reinstall because I still have old phone which still opens with Touch ID.
    Only fear is old phone and iPad will sync and delete too before I can extract all my passwords!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjc56 - if you still have a device which unlocks with Touch ID, and you can access your 1Password data that way, then you have a much better chance of being able to save your data from there. Are you using a 1password.com account, or standalone data? And do you have access to a Mac or PC with 1Password on it (or that you can install there)?

This discussion has been closed.