To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

confused about master password(s) after switching to cloud

Options
kroesche
kroesche
Community Member

I am a long time 1password (6) standalone user. I have a master password for my standalone (legacy) vault that I keep sync'd in iCloud. I just signed up for 1password account. Created my account with a new master password. Installed 1password 7 and added my new account to it. Now I have Personal vault (1password cloud I presume) and Primary vault which is my original (legacy) vault and syncs with iCloud. Now I have two master passwords. Is it possible for me to use the same master password for everything? I tried opening the client using the new master password and it doesn't open with that one, I have to use the old. If I migrate my legacy vault completely to 1password cloud will I then only need to use the new master password? I read through this forum but I'm sorry I am still confused about how to safely migrate my legacy vault and the relation between the master passwords. Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

If I migrate my legacy vault completely to 1password cloud will I then only need to use the new master password?

Correct. Once you've migrated the "Primary" vault should be deleted. Once deleted your 1Password.com Master Password will unlock the 1Password apps. Here is how 1Password handles unlocking:

• If a Primary vault (standalone vault) exists the Master Password for the Primary vault will unlock 1Password. Changing your membership password will have no effect. You can read about how Master Password changes are synced across Primary vaults here: https://blog.1password.com/how-1password-syncs-changes-to-your-master-password/
    • If a single 1Password membership has been added (with no Primary vault) then 1Password unlocks using the Master Password associated with that membership account
    • When multiple 1Password memberships have been added (with no Primary vault) 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

1Password only ever acccepts one Master Password. All memberships / vaults are unlocked when 1Password unlocks. In general we do not recommend having a Primary vault when using 1Password.com. You can learn about how to delete any Primary vaults here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Assuming you've already added your 1Password membership account on these devices you can skip the first step.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• kroesche
    kroesche
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the help, especially on the weekend. I'm all migrated and its working great now.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.