Settings for Mojave

Options
Bobalaska
Bobalaska
Community Member

Hello. I installed Mojave yesterday, and have a couple questions. I read some forum posts, and understand that "keystroke" is no longer functioning; I assume that means auto filling in username and password, and then "pressing" sign in. My questions are not about that if accurate, but may be related to that.

1. I noticed that Mojave has new security and privacy system preferences. I think the first time I opened and used 1Password after installation I had a message about going into the system preferences, and doing something. The message, however, quickly disappeared, and I did nothing. In the "accessibility" tab, I can allow the 1Password Extension Helper to "control" my computer. Is that what the message was about? Should I have check that off, and if so, what will that do?
  2. I noticed that 1Password is somehow "baked" into Safari. Do I need to do anything with the 1Password extension in Safari, i.e. should it be deleted, or left alone?
  3. When I use 1Password, e.g. using the extension to fill in a user name and password on a given website, I get the the following error message: "The operation couldn’t be completed users/……onepassword7-helper/1Password_autosubmit.scpt: 143:159: execution error: System events got an error: osascript is not allowed to send keystrokes. (1002)." However, the user name and password is correctly entered, and I can press "Sign in." In other words, except for error message, it works the way I am used t having it work.

I assume that is related to the keystroke issue; however, unless I have something in my 1Password settings that I don't recollect, I usually have used the app or extension to fill in the user name and password, and more often than not physically pressed "Sign in" or whatever myself, vs, that automatically occurring. I can still do that. My question is: Is there something I can do so I don't get the error message everytime?

In any case, if you could tell me what settings in system preferences and in 1Password will make things work best with Mojave, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud (I think)
Referrer: forum-search:settings for Mojave

Comments

• rudy
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Bobalaskaa,

I'll try and answer your numbered questions first and then see if I can answer any of the others.

If you're running 7.1.2 like your footer says then you'll definitely want to update, we're currently at 7.2.4 and it does have what's known as a Safari App Extension baked into it. You should definitely uninstall 4.7.3 if Safari doesn't do it for you. 1Password itself will need to be in the root level /Applications folder in order for it to be able to do the necessary code signature checks that it does when utilizing the extension interface. 1Password's code signature also needs to be valid in order for Safari to use the extension, it will refuse to show it in the Extensions list if 1Password has been modified in any way.

1. 7.2.4 no longer has an autosubmit script and needs no additional accessibility permissions in order to work.

2. Yup, for Safari there is no longer a separately installed extension in order for 1Password to work with the browser. Chrome and Firefox do still have a separate extension. That said uninstalling the Safari extension isn't a thing anymore as Safari detects the extension's presence inside of 1Password and includes it in the Extensions tab automatically. No copy is made, so as long as 1Password is there, it will show up in Safari. Use is of course optional, but removal from the Extensions list isn't.

3. This will go away by updating to 7.2.4. In 7.2 we dropped support for the auto-submission of forms after filling details into such forms.

The autosubmit script isn't the same as the quick fill functionality or open&fill, it was a post-fill option. If the Fill Login keyboard shortcut or open and fill button presses in the main or mini windows isn't working then definitely generate a diagnostics report via the instructions on https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ (you may have to click on the folder icon in the diagnostics app currently on mojave due to a issue that prevents it from automatically creating an email message with your report).

• Bobalaska
    Bobalaska
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick response.

Very interesting, as I have been frequently checking for 1password updates from within the app, and for the past couple of months was told I had the latest. Today when I did that- voila- updater said 7.2.5 beta was available (maybe because I just installed Mojave??). I downloaded and installed that.

Shortly after, there was a Safari message about enabling 1Password. I did that, and the Safari extensions tab referencing 7.2.5. beta appeared. It now shows as an extension, and the old one is gone.

At first, it didn't seem like the 1Password extension appeared in the menu bar. However, whether it didn't or I missed it, it is there now, and it seems to work just fine. It also works in Firefox and Chrome (though for the latter I had to uninstall and re-install the same extension). Initially after installation of the update I got an error message:

"1Password can’t verify the identity of your web browser

For you protection, 1Password will only fill information in browsers that have been signed bi identified developers.
    If Google Chrome is in the middle of an update, 1Password may be unable to verify its identity. Please quit Google Chrome and reopen it."

After reinstalling extension, that no longer happens.

And the error message I mentioned in #3 in my original post has gone away.

Bottom line: everything seems to be working fine now, and a big thanks to you for the quick response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bobalaska - on behalf of rudy, you're quite welcome! He'll be glad to hear he was able to answer all your questions and that things are now working well for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.