To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Subscribe - Keep Using Dropbox [Not recommended]

clarktomd512
clarktomd512
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Memberships

I want to upgrade to 1Password 7 on multiple Windows, iOS and Mac devices. Membership seems like the most economical way to do it, but I want to continue to synch to Dropbox - not an Agilebits server. Possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @clarktomd512

Possible? Yes. Advisable? Definitely not. Not something we recommend. May I ask why you'd like to do this?

It is possible to utilize standalone vaults (including ones synced with Dropbox) when using a membership. The problem is that it almost inevitably leads to confusion which can lead to data loss. For one, having a standalone vault present in your installation of 1Password changes how 1Password unlocks. When a standalone vault is present 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of that ("Primary") vault. This may be different from the Master Password for your 1Password membership account. Changing the Master Password within an app will change the Master Password for the Primary vault on that device. It may not change the Master Password on any other devices, and will not change the Master Password for 1Password.com. On the other hand changing the Master Password on 1Password.com will not change the Master Password that unlocks your 1Password apps. Frankly, it becomes a mess, and as such is not something we encourage.

Ben

• clarktomd512
    clarktomd512
    Community Member

I like the ability to put my data where I want it and synchronize it in real time. You are locking me into proprietary data storage. You had a good product. It is unfortunate that you have made it so complicated. I will just stick with the older version.

• I really can't recommend that either, @clarktomd512. What are your concerns with using 1Password.com? I'd be happy to help alleviate those. If you are concerned about being "locked in" we do offer the possibility to export your data. We want happy customers, not ones who feel trapped:

How to export data from 1Password

Ben

• clarktomd512
    clarktomd512
    Community Member

The concern is that I want to control my own data and keep it encrypted and synchronized in real time. That is what I have now, and I really like it. The export solution you offer is a clear text file that needs to be manually updated and exported every time a password is changed, then manually encrypted. The reason that I want to control my own data is that I do not want to be dependent upon your company to for data access. Mistakes happen. Business models change. Mergers and acquisitions happen. I have no hard feelings. I will just keep using my current solution until you quit supporting it and then find another one that allows me to store my password file where I want it.

• clarktomd512
    clarktomd512
    Community Member

Here's another thought - if I only used one vault, and it was stored at Dropbox - no vault at all with 1password.com, would the upgraded clients continue to work like the existing ones do sharing the vault at Dropbox?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

and keep it encrypted and synchronized in real time

That happens with 1Password.com, even better so than with Dropbox as it is a solution that was designed and tailored from the ground up to handle syncing of encrypted 1Password data.

The export solution you offer is a clear text file that needs to be manually updated and exported every time a password is changed, then manually encrypted.

I only mentioned that as it sounded like you might've had a concern about being "locked in" with 1Password. It isn't relevant to syncing.

The reason that I want to control my own data is that I do not want to be dependent upon your company to for data access.

Even with 1Password.com your data is cached locally on your device. If AgileBits were to disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow everyone would still be able to access all of the data that has been cached by their client apps.

Also: I'm not sure why you'd feel Dropbox (where you mentioned wanting to sync) is any less susceptible to this issue than AgileBits would be.

I will just keep using my current solution until you quit supporting it

From a development standpoint it isn't supported now. 1Password 6 is retired and won't be updated further. If that's truly how you feel I'd rather have you use something that is being developed than something that isn't, even if it isn't 1Password.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@clarktomd512
    When I decided to use another solution to store my passwords I also wanted to manage all locally for security reasons and concerns. I wanted to have a password safe that is saved locally on my devices and that I'm able to sync like I want to sync e.g. via Dropbox or iCloud. I liked the idea of having my passwords locally and be able to manually sync. So I wanted to use 1Password with a standalone license. But to use my passwords on different devices I had to buy standalone licenses for all of my operating systems like Windows, iOS and Android too. But I still want to have the option to use the next version of 1Password. But for every new version I want to use I have to buy standalone licenses again. And that would be much more expensive for me then buying the annual subscription.

Then I tried the 1Password membership and I have to say, that this is exactly what I want to have. All my passwords are locally on my devices. So if I don't have an internet connection I still be able to use my password entries. Like I have a lot of entries for local things too. I'm allowed and able to use 1Password on every operation system I want to use it and I'm also able to use the newest version of all the apps. And all of my passwords are synced in a second to my other devices. I don't have to think about external sync via a 3rd party company. All works very well. That's why I paid for the annual subscription and what could I say about it? I don't want to miss my 1Password membership. ;)

May be this helps a little to find a decision that matches best for you. :)

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member

I concur with @DenalB above.

All your security concerns are dealt with natively inside 1Password's single system, instead of having any additional security headaches of dealing with yet another separate service like Dropbox/iCloud storage.

Export to go to another service is available at any time, should you choose to.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

And the sync on 1Password.com is lightning-fast

• @DenalB @jimthing and @Manaburner make good points about 1Password memberships being a complete ecosystem, and that the security provided by 1Password sync is demonstrably superior to using Dropbox sync.

User are of course free to use their preferred sync method, we want you to feel confident in the security of your data!

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

plus from what I have gathered i believe the way the encryption method works with the secret key and master password is your data is not technically 'stored' in a decrypted manner on 1passwords servers, all they see are encrypted files and when you open it all the decryption takes place locally on your computer...this way if you do decide to end your membership with 1password all your data up to that point is accessible to you just not editable plus you can export it if you want so its actually quite freeing...i think that is super reassuring :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nedmullen1 - that's an excellent point: we went to significant lengths to make sure we never have your data in decrypted form, nor the means to decrypt it. Your Master Password and Secret Key are never transmitted to the 1password.com servers in any form.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Your Master Password and Secret Key are never transmitted to the 1password.com servers in any form.

And don't forget the optional 2FA which only takes place on my device(s) in my 2FA app(s). So nobody has the possibility to get access to your passwords! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.