Why no number and symbol is better?

Hi,

I noticed the password generator gives lower strength to passwords with number(s) and/or special character(s).
Is it possible to have an explanation of the maths being this?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Can you post a few samples. (Do not post real passwords, of course.) Also can you let me know which version of 1Password you are using?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joan38: Are you maybe adding those characters (or whole passwords) yourself? 1Password intentionally rates user-provided passwords as weaker since we don't know where thy came from, whereas 1Password knows exactly how much entropy a password it has generated itself has, since it knows the character set and algorithm used, etc.

• joan38
    joan38
    Community Member

They are all 1Password generated. You can try also on yours, by just dragging the slider of symbols or digits it will bring down the strength of your generated password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@joan38: Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'm not sure how well I can explain this, but the reason is that you've set them to "1": only one character in the whole password can be a digit/symbol in that case, rather than any character in the password potentially being one of any of the symbols/digits.

As a point of comparison, our new password generator which we're rolling out in all of our apps one by one has only a checkbox for digits or symbols. So, with "symbols" enabled, literally any of the characters in a 13 character password could be a symbol, instead of just one of them. You can get a better idea of what I mean by trying it here:

https://1password.com/password-generator/

Does that help? :)

• joan38
    joan38
    Community Member

Ok I see. So one char will have only 10 possiblies instead of 2*27.

Looking forward for the new generator which will do 2*27+10 possibilities on all the chars.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joan38,

I've never been a fan of exactly x digits/symbols approach myself, I understand sometimes needing to ensure a digit is present because a site insists on it but I like my passwords as uniformly random as possible, selected from the entire available character set.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So one char will have only 10 possiblies instead of 2*27.

@joan38: That's a much better, more concise way of putting it. Thank you! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.