autofill

New to your software. Seems to work fine for logging into sites requiring username and password using Chrome on Windows.

Been trying to get it to 'autofill' my email address into sites which don't require a password - the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway for example. (https://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-dream-home/sweepstakes?nl=R-HGTV:DH2019_2019-01-26_EnterHGTV&bid=15819804&c32=4aeb34045036159f9c219c6b8a8999f8374ae278&ssid=2017_HGTV_confirmation_API&sni_by=&sni_gn=) but nothing I try seems to work.

It does show the 1password icon in the 'email' field, but won't do anything to save, or allow me to manually create a 'logon' which autofills the info..

Am I asking it to do something it doesn't ?

Opened ticket #NMG-27375-645 but never got a reply...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bmallar,

Forgive me for missing your ticket, it's been very busy lately and it takes us time to get through all of the incoming emails.

For cases like these, you might want to try using an Identity item instead of a login item. You can use Identity items to fill all sorts of non-login fields, such as your address, email, and many more. Unlike Login items, Identity items aren't bound to websites, which means you can use them on most website forms.

Hope that helps, let me know how it goes. :smile:

• bmallar
    bmallar
    Community Member

thanks, that worked but I'm not sure why.

It is possible, since the 'login in' field is slightly down on the web page and therefore I have to scroll down a bit to get to it, that when I click on it, your 'possible identifies' for me to select from, originally just one, was displayed at the top left of the web page and I may have scrolled down beyond the point where you displayed them. I would have assumed your 'identifiy suggestions' would be displayed 'over' (as an overlay to) the webpage I was viewing, but it looks like they are 'incorporated' as part of the web page display so they were scrolled 'up' and out of sight when I scrolled down.

Do appreciate the answer. Trying to decide if I want to use and purchase the product. Lack of tech support and not being able to use it for certain 'desired' funtions' were about to have me delete it. I'll keep testing. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

Hello @bmallar,

1Password X is meant to display the inline menu next to the field but whatever logic we use to determine the correct place seems to get completely thrown by that page. I almost missed the presence of the inline menu as well. I will file a report as something isn't right there.

Completely unrelated to 1Password X but that is one horrible page. The length of time spent loading external assets and widgets before it bothered to show the field was sufficient that I began to wonder if something had gone wrong.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#337

• bmallar
    bmallar
    Community Member

thanks for the update. I think we have to remember that that is a sweepstakes page, designed to attract interested parties to go there to enter the contest and therefore a perfect place to advertise, not to show how 'fast' their site is.. They have their priorities, we have ours....

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Fair point, @bmallar. :) Hopefully, we'll all get to the point where those priorities stop clashing. :p

• Hey @bmallar,

You can always create logins manually when the extension can't figure out how the page works by itself:

1. Click the 1Password button in your browser toolbar to open the popup
    2. Click New Item -> Login
    3. Enter your username, a title, and fill in the web address of the site (https://www.hgtv.com). Then save the login.

Following these steps I was able to create a login that filled on the sweepstakes page.

Cheers,
    Mitch

This discussion has been closed.