Formatting for normal (non-secure notes) note fields ?

Options
pitfield
pitfield
Community Member

Is there any way to format text nicely in the notes field for e.g. a login record ?

I have notes for investment records - usually these are almost mini tables of 3-8 lines in 2-3 columns, and I want to be able to use a fixed width font (e.g. Menlo 11) to line everything up - I can write the note that way, but when I save the note it gets messed up.

I see I can use markdown code (`) or pre-formatted (```) syntax to wrap the text - this displays ok when saved, but if I go back to edit it then it's messed up again.

Perhaps the real request is how to use a chosen font (e.g. fixed width font) in a note ?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: MaxOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1password web
Referrer: forum-search:format

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pitfield - in 1Password 7 for Mac, we've introduced formatting with Markdown, which can address some formatting needs. It doesn't allow for column formatting, however, you're correct. Three back-ticks on either side of any text will get it formatted in pre-formatted text style. I don't know if that will be enough for you, but give it a try and let me know what you discover! :)

• pitfield
    pitfield
    Community Member
    Options

As stated above, I tried the pre-formatting:

"I see I can use markdown code (`) or pre-formatted (```) syntax to wrap the text - this displays ok when saved, but if I go back to edit it then it's messed up again"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pitfield - that's the nature of Markdown - it's going to display formatted when saved, but it's (essentially) simple code when it's in edit mode. There's no real way around this at this time.

• pitfield
    pitfield
    Community Member
    Options

Why not just allow people to use whatever font they want for notes - then for example I can use width-width fonts to create aligned tables+columns - easy !

• Hi @pitfield ,

I see what you are trying to accomplish. To reiterate, you have fixed width text in columns, and when you edit in 1Password, the columns are all misaligned due to the proportional font used.

1Password for Mac currently does not have the capability to change the font when editing notes. For now, we suggest copying the text to a text editor such as BBEdit, editing it there, and copying it back to 1Password and use the tick marks so you can read it properly.

Thanks for taking the time to send us your suggestion. We'll consider it for a future version.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• pitfield
    pitfield
    Community Member
    Options

Fair enough - thanks anyway, and hopefully this gets added at some point.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.