Vault website opening when unlocking 1Password X in Firefox (on linux)

Options

Hi,
Recently (probably from about a week or two ago) whenever unlocking 1Password X in Firefox in Ubuntu 18.04 (well, kubuntu) it's been automatically opening the https://myvaultname.1password.com/signin page in a new tab (and switching to it). This is particularly annoying when I've unlocked password to try and log in to the tab I was on previously (which is the usual reason I unlock 1Password X)!
Is this a new setting (I can't find it in settings)? Is there a way to turn off this behaviour?
Thanks,
Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bzd,

I don't currently have a copy of Ubuntu to test but I'm not seeing this on my Mac at least and it certainly doesn't sound like correct behaviour. I wonder if you can try installing a fresh copy of the 1Password X extension into a new Firefox profile just to see if the behaviour is reproducible from a clean starting point. Mozilla's page Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles should prove useful if you haven't done so before in Firefox.

I know we've had issues in the past that have been very specific to the combination of Firefox and Ubuntu and it's quite possible this is another example. I'm hoping the test in a clean profile will give us a better idea if that's what we're seeing.

Do you also use 1Password X anywhere else as well other than on a machine running Ubuntu. I'm just wondering if you're finding it is consistent and somehow (and very weirdly if the case) isolated to your 1Password account.

• bzd
    bzd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Robert'); DROP

I've just tried it in Firefox on a Mac too, and you're right it doesn't do it there. That was 1Password X 1.13.2 as well and FF 64.0.2.
    The behaviour I described is happening in a linux desktop and a linux laptop so there is some consistency there, although the versions of ubuntu, FF and 1Password X will all be identical (even the FF profile is largely shared). I'll get a chance to install in a new FF profile and try that out within the next couple of days, and will let you know. Glad to hear it's not a new "feature" though ;) !

Ben

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol:

It does sound like we're going to find it's something specific to the 1Password X + Firefox + Linux combination but I'll still be interested to see what you learn from the test profile. At least Firefox makes it reasonably easy to test and then delete the test profile, all without risk to your main one. Not quite as elegant as Chrome's implementation but still it's appreciated.

Robert'); DROP

• bzd
    bzd
    Community Member
    Options

To update on this. I've tried in a new profile with just 1Password X extension installed, and it did NOT display the same behaviour of opening a new tab at the myvaultname.1password.com login page. I'm guessing then it is possibly something to do with one of the (handful of) other extensions I've got installed. At some point when I've got time I'll disable them and enable one at a time and see when it starts misbehaving again...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bzd,

So at least we've narrowed down where the issue seems to be and progress is good :smile: So it could be a bit of a blunt tool but Mozilla do have a support page, Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings that resets a number of things without loss of bookmarks. If you have a few extensions though and want to retain as many as possible you might need to make a record of those you have so you don't miss any. The refresh might be worth trying if you find things don't behave simply be disabling all of the installed extensions, suggesting something else is at play.

• bzd
    bzd
    Community Member
    Options

Sorted now, though not how I thought.
    First of all, having freshly installed 1Password X in a new, blank FF profile it worked fine, so I assumed it must be one of my other extensions (about 10) causing a problem with 1Password X.
    I disabled all of them, and restarted FF expecting to re-enable each one in turn. However the odd behaviour was still happening when only 1Password X was enabled.
    So I thought maybe I should uninstall and install 1Password X (skip-to-end -- this fixed it).
    Before doing that I wanted to have 1Password open on chrome so I could re-sign in and copy the key etc. It turned out my existing 1Password X in chrome was ALSO behaving the same way. I removed and then re-installed the extension, signed in again (the key had in fact been remembered presumably in a browser setting, though I did need the 2FA code) and lo and behold it was working fine.
    I did the same in FF (which also remembered the key or at least the account) and that too is now behaving fine.
    So, if anyone else has a similar problem, uninstall and re-install 1Password X certainly fixed it for me. Less drastic than a full FF purge and reset (although that might be beneficial in other ways :) .

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @bzd,

So something about the state of the 1Password X extension resulted in that copy of the extension opening the sign-in page for the 1Password account and you have 2FA enabled on the account. I wonder if it's an edge-case bug as I'm sure we've had issues with 2FA in the past. Please let me know if you ever see this happen again as it's very odd.

• bzd
    bzd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I will do. I agree I have a lot of things at play here, and I'm happy to believe it's something a bit weird about my set up. There was some consistency to it happening in kubuntu, both in Firefox and I noticed recently in Chrome (also in kubuntu). It didn't happen in the same FF profile on a Mac. I would say it started in early January but I can't be sure. Possibly I also only enabled 2FA about the same time, but again I don't remember noticing the change in behaviour straight away. Anyway, if it happens again, just like Arnie, I'll be back.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzd This sounds like an old thread that got resurrected recently, so I'm wondering whether we might have a 2FA bug regression here. Please do let us know if the issue occurs again. ;)

This discussion has been closed.