1Password crashing on Mac computer

I'm using Version 3.8.22 of 1Password on MacOS Mojave. I understand my version of 1Password is very old. Whenever I try to log in with my master password, the software crashes. How can I back up my data and upgrade to the latest version.

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojava version 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Alex_Etkin! I'm sorry for the trouble, but it sounds as if you're already aware what the origin of the problem is on this one: the age of the version you're using (combined with the new-ness of macOS version). We've actually got a great, step-by-step guide to upgrading from version 3; please follow those instructions and let us know how that goes for you! :)

• Alex_Etkin
    Alex_Etkin
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, following the guide is problematic. The first step in uninstalling the 1Password 3 extensions is to "Open the 1Password 3 main app and unlock by entering your Master Password."

I'm unable to get into/unlock the 1Password 3 app. When I open the app and enter my Master Password, the app crashes. It won't unlock.

Please let me know how I should proceed. Thank you.

• Alex_Etkin
    Alex_Etkin
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, following the guide is problematic. The first step in uninstalling the 1Password 3 extensions is to "Open the 1Password 3 main app and unlock by entering your Master Password."

I'm unable to get into/unlock the 1Password 3 app. When I open the app and enter my Master Password, the app crashes. It won't unlock.

Please let me know how I should proceed. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Alex_Etkin - yes, this has gotten more and more difficult as macOS has progressed and 1Password 3 for Mac has remained the same (first introduced in 2009, last meaningful update in 2012). If you can't even launch 1Password 3 for Mac, then just proceed to the next step, as there's no real way to extract any items which were saved in 1Password 3 for Mac's extension but not synced to the main app. I trust - especially if you haven't been able to use it for a while - that you don't have any of these at any rate. Go ahead with the rest of the steps and let us know how you get on.

• Alex_Etkin
    Alex_Etkin
    Community Member

I've downloaded a "Read-Only" version. The File > Import selection is greyed out. Do I need to buy a new license for $49.99? Will my purchase allow me to choose File > Import and then import my saved passwords from 1Password 3?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Alex_Etkin - I'm sorry for the delay in my reply here. Yes, to both: you'll need to purchase a new license for the new version (you can do that by clicking the Read Only link on any of your items, which will take you to the Purchase Options screen, where you can click the link to purchase a standalone license:

Also: yes, that will then allow you to import your previous 1Password data. Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.