"Moving item in a vault X" moves item in trash

claus
claus
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

Hello,
I use a separate vault for items I do not use anymore but want to keep.
In my main vault I choose an unwanted item, then "right-click" -> Share -> "Müll" (my own trash vault called "Müll") -> Move.
But the item lands in thrash of the main vault.
I assume it is a bug ...
Greetings,
Claus

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus - You'll find it in both places; the trash of the source vault, as well as the vault you moved it into. The reason for this is that "move" is kind of a misnomer: due to the differing encryption keys on each vault, we can't actually just "move" an item from one place to another in a single step. What really happens when you click "Move" is that a copy of that item is made, the copy is placed inside the destination vault, and then the original item is moved to the trash. From there, you can empty the trash by right-clicking on it, or you can restore items from the trash if you need/want to. But if you'll check the destination vault, you'll see the item you moved there as well.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Ok, I understand. Thank you for this answer!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus - you're quite welcome; glad I was able to assist! :)

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

I ran into this as well, and noticed it today (after how long since the feature was introduced?). I consider this to be unexpected / surprising behavior. Let's say that I have an item in my Shared vault. I'm planning a trip and have decided that item should actually be living in a different vault that gets turned off for travel. So, I "move" it.

In my mind, I have not deleted it. It's not gone. It's not forgotten. I've just put it into a different filing cabinet.

But unbeknownst to me (until today), I have not actually moved that item from the Shared vault at all. It's still sitting there, in the Trash, waiting for whatever threat I thought I was protecting against to open the Trash and have a look. Not so great. Or maybe I'm not so paranoid about customs officials or foreign police. What if I just realize that the thing I put into Shared is no longer appropriate there, because I've added a family member? And wouldn't this also be an issue for a business using the Teams product?

And even if I actually knew that this was going on (which I do now), the all-or-nothing Trash emptying is sub-optimal. I would very much like to go in and manually remove from the Trash each item I have "moved", but would like to preserve the items that I have "Deleted". And, while we're on the subject, what I really want in the Trash:

• Empty-single-item (just mentioned)
    • Sort by date deleted (to let me easily find all the items I just moved or the items I trashed the longest time ago)
    • Select multiple items and allow restore or empty on the set of selected items
    • And, if we want to get totally insane with this (which I do): a per-vault configuration for "Remove Items from Trash after [configurable] Days

What do you think? Reasonable feature request? Think it might happen? Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby - it's not an unreasonable thing to wish for. And you may see some (or even all) of it at some point in the future. From our perspective, the problem with part of this right now is that moving doesn't work if you're offline (not connected to the internet). That's why it's copy + trash instead of what would be a more literal moving of the item in question. It needs to work both if you have an active internet connection that can convey the changes in real-time to the server, and if you don't. The former has never been a problem, the latter continues to be. It's something we'll keep in the "someday/maybe" category, however. And in the meantime, I'd recommend making sure you empty your trash regularly, particularly if you've done any moving of sensitive items.

This discussion has been closed.