To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Request to move my 1password.com account to 1password.eu

msxtj
msxtj
Community Member

While signing up, I had no idea that 1password.eu existed - maybe the sign-up page can be improved to clearly show that. Reading further on the forums, I see that it fully makes sense for me to use 1password.eu. I live in Germany, and I'd really prefer to have my data stored geographically closer to me in Germany.

When I try to login on 1password.eu, the site reports that my account does not exist. I am able to login on 1password.eu.

Please kindly reach out to me on private message so I can share my account details.

It would be nice if I could be charged in Euros as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @msxtj

Thanks for your interest in 1Password.eu. The different instances of 1Password (1Password.com, 1Password.ca, and 1Password.eu) are entirely separate silos -- they do not "talk" to each other. To move from one to the other you'd need to sign up for a new membership on the destination instance and then copy your data over. Because the instances are separate there is no automated process for doing so. Our sales team can then move any remaining balance on the original membership over for you. Please reach out to them at sales@1password.com when you're ready for that step, and post the support ID that you get here. Once all is said and done you can delete the original membership.

Thanks!

Ben

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben .

The move-share-items link you hyper-referenced shows that I will have to manually select all my items and share them without another vault. Now 1password.com "does not talk" to 1password.eu, and as such, I assume vault cannot be shared across those two domains.

I have secure notes, credit card info, site logins and a bunch of other different categories. I need to export them all at once.

I am looking for a simple, easy solution, example:
    1) Export all my data in a certain format (say opvault) from 1Password and then import that opvault in 1password.eu.
    2) I spent the last few days setting up OTP for a bunch of sites and I have saved the backup codes etc. It was a lot of work. Exporting and importing my vault should maintain the OTP metadata. Essentially, I a looking for a seamless transition.

1Password 4 had an export feature where I could generate a 1pif file to import again. I do not see the export functionality in 1Password 7.

I do not want to be the first person trying to move domains. Do you have a dedicated documentation to do exactly that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The move-share-items link you hyper-referenced shows that I will have to manually select all my items and share them without another vault.

@msxtj: It sounds like you're suggesting you need to do that for each one at a time. I'd suggest that you Select All (⌘ A) and move all of them at once. ;)

Now 1password.com "does not talk" to 1password.eu, and as such, I assume vault cannot be shared across those two domains.

Correct. That's why we have separate servers in the first place.

I have secure notes, credit card info, site logins and a bunch of other different categories. I need to export them all at once.
    I am looking for a simple, easy solution, example:
    1) Export all my data in a certain format (say opvault) from 1Password and then import that opvault in 1password.eu.
    2) I spent the last few days setting up OTP for a bunch of sites and I have saved the backup codes etc. It was a lot of work. Exporting and importing my vault should maintain the OTP metadata. Essentially, I a looking for a seamless transition.

You don't need to export them at all. You just need to copy from one account to the other right within the app.

1Password 4 had an export feature where I could generate a 1pif file to import again. I do not see the export functionality in 1Password 7. I do not want to be the first person trying to move domains. Do you have a dedicated documentation to do exactly that?

Yes. Ben linked it to you.

1. Select the items (in your "old" account) you want to move.
    2. Choose the Share option for the destination vault (in the "new" account).
    3. Click to either Move or Copy them.

Done. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Would the local backups that the Mac App makes help in the future? (When restore is added)

I’d prefer the EU site as well, but too many links will be broken when I copy items between vaults/accounts.

• @XIII Not sure at this point, sorry. I’m sure more information will be available as the feature becomes available.

Ben

• theEUguy
    theEUguy
    Community Member

Unfortunately, it does not seem to work if you have Files in your Vaults. I am trying to move items from my 1password.com to my 1password.eu-Vaults and it does not work within the app.
    Any chance to «export» locally and re-Import?

Thank you for your help! Andy

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

I gave up on this. The process was too complicated. I have logins with OTPs set up and I'm not sure whether that will be moved properly as well to eu one. There should be an easier, simpler and seemless way to move from .com to .Eu. I am hoping Agilebits will figure out a customer friendly way of doing so.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

Hi @theEUguy

Unfortunately, it does not seem to work if you have Files in your Vaults. I am trying to move items from my 1password.com to my 1password.eu-Vaults and it does not work within the app.

You are correct. Those would need to be downloaded from the old account and then re-added on the destination account manually.

Ben

• Thanks for the feedback @msxtj.

I am hoping Agilebits will figure out a customer friendly way of doing so.

I wish we could, but I don't suspect that is going to be feasible. Some of the difficulties are:

1. Due to privacy laws such as GDPR and other considerations the 1Password instances do not ever "talk" to each other directly. So it isn't possible for 1Password.com to connect to 1Password.eu and push a customer's data over (or vice versa). I don't see that ever becoming possible on the service side.
    2. What we could potentially do is implement a feature in each of the client apps to facilitate moving the entire contents of an account from one instance to another (or even from one account on the same instance to another account on that same instance). The problem here is that a standard would have to be put together and agreed upon by the client teams, and then each of those teams would need to spend a fair amount of time building it. Additionally that still wouldn't solve the problem for everyone as not everyone who uses 1Password has access to our native apps. At this point there doesn't seem to be enough demand in order to justify using our limited development resources in that way. If this were to become a more frequent request / complaint then perhaps we would need to re-evaluate that. We'll keep our ears open, but it would be a high bar that would need to be reached in order to do this.

For now I suspect the only way to do this is going to continue to be manually, and as such we'll need to recommend avoiding doing so unless necessary.

Ben

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

What we could potentially do is implement a feature

Good. That said, please kindly make sure that this request goes into your ticketing system as requested feature.

It should also have been clear to people setting up accounts at the starts about those limitations you have. It wasn't clear to me in the beginning that your geographical servers don't talk to each other, and that once you set up on the .com server, it's literally painful (you may rephrase that) to move to .eu :)

• Understood :+1:

Ben

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

So, essentially, if we could have something like: Export all my data, respecting the file structure, including all attachments, into some file format and then import - that would be great.

I now have over 900 logins, hundreds of attached PNGs and PDFs for important notes, with the logins linked to the attachments. I can't go manual..in 2019.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Same here.

Maybe you can combine this with the more often requested local backup functionality?

(One could hopefully then backup from one server and restore to another)

PS: I wonder if you’re even GDPR compliant when making it so hard for users

• I wonder if you’re even GDPR compliant when making it so hard for users

1Password.eu is GDPR compliant.

AgileBits GDPR Compliance Statement | Legal

Export all my data, respecting the file structure, including all attachments, into some file format and then import - that would be great.

That is definitely something we'd like to be able to offer. I think you'll find the export capabilities of 1Password are already a fair bit better than most of our competitors, but that honestly isn't saying much. There is room for improvement, for sure.

Ben

ref: apple-1423

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@Ben So also the "Right to data portability" (article 20)?

The data subject shall have the right to receive the personal data concerning him or her, which he or she has provided to a controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from the controller to which the personal data have been provided

(emphasis mine)

I'm not sure whether COM/CA/EU are really different "controllers" and thus whether this applies at all, but I sure feel hindered by all the manual work involved in migrating between 1Password servers. Hope you will be able to make this easier.

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member

You still can download your documents, be it one by one, just as you stored it one by one before. As for logins, my movement from US to EU took 20 minutes at max. Yes, there could be improvements, but I was able to get my data transfered without problems.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

But you still loose all the links between items?

• You do, yes. I'm not sure what else you'd like for me to say here. But as I've said above:

There is room for improvement, for sure.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

OK. I apologise for being a bit pushy about this.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

@Ben, thanks for taking the issues back to the dev and Engineering team. We hope to see a solution to this porting issues soon. In my view, a proper database dump and then import should be sufficient, knowing that the servers don't talk to each other (a good thing actually). Just porting the data should be made easier.

And that's due to how you designed your database. I'm not sure how it's implemented, but a proper database always has means to dump data preserving data structure (example, the links between login and attached items). I'm not sure if OTPs can be ported too. Can you comment on OTP? With all the watchtower warnings and all, I have now over 40 logins with 2Fa enabled. Manual is a no-go. It took me hours to set up 2fa on all those websites!

Finally, even if you say that your export capabilites are better than others (which I can't compare, since I've been a 1password user for a long time already), a current not-so-functional one actually doesn't help much :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I'm not sure if OTPs can be ported too

That should (technically) be possible since 1Password stores the shared secret used for generating TOTP codes.

• Just porting the data should be made easier.

I agree completely. :)

thanks for taking the issues back to the dev and Engineering team.

You're very welcome.

I'm not sure if OTPs can be ported too. Can you comment on OTP? With all the watchtower warnings and all, I have now over 40 logins with 2Fa enabled. Manual is a no-go. It took me hours to set up 2fa on all those websites!

Yes -- TOTP fields carry over when moving items between vaults / accounts / instances.

Thanks for the feedback on this. :)

Ben

• thobie
    thobie
    Community Member

Solution to move from .com to .eu automatically or manually with "a-click" already possible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thobie - I'm not sure what you mean by "a-click" - can you clarify? Currently, you can migrate data from one server instance to another (.com to .eu, for example) via the method Ben linked to above, within 1Password for Mac itself. The two server instances are entirely separate, however, so there is no automatic way to migrate on the server side. If you meant something else, can you clarify? Thanks.

• Horatio2000
    Horatio2000
    Community Member

Hi, I set up an account on 1password.com a few weeks ago (free for 30 days - I previously owned 1Password 3 to 6) and now decided to switch to the paid version of 1password 7. Inadvertently, I set up and paid for a new account at 1password.eu. I used the same login and password and, receiving no warning about two identical logins, have now the test account with >600 objects on the .com server, and a fresh, paid one without any relevant data on the .eu server.
    I thought the above might solve my problem. However, when copying data from one fault to the other, I receive warnings/error messages, in particular referring to missing links and attached files which cannot be copied. Any easy solution, considering the number of objects?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jon

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Horatio2000 and apologies for the trouble moving items between servers. If you're still hoping to move your data to your 1Password.eu account, you should know that this is currently expected behavior: Related Items links and Documents can not be moved between servers. You can manually download and re-upload documents, and re-link Related Items after moving, or if your old standalone vault is still up-to-date, re-migrate directly from that to your new 1Password.eu account.

• Horatio2000
    Horatio2000
    Community Member

Thanks, using the import from my old 1Password 6 vault made it a lot easier - I only had to copy the objects to the new vault at 1password.eu which I had added/changed since transferring to 1password.com (around 10 or so), deleting the old ones.
    Best,
    Jon

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Horatio2000, on behalf of Henry, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Werner85
    Werner85
    Community Member

I don't understand why this problem still hasn't been tackled yet. Your customers have the need for a simple way to move between regions, but somehow no solution is given.

As a developer myself this is a quick first thought: All regions (.com .eu. ca) use the same code base right? Why not add a "Full raw data export/import" function? Add a "My data" section to 1Password online, and add two buttons. "Download my data" and "Import my data". Basically the online version of an .agilekeychain fault.

When you want to import the data on the new region you just select the Export file and press "Import". You will get a nice warning "Are you sure you want to import this? This will erase your current data..." After selecting Yes the Import will be uploaded and imported as "Raw" data, that way no Files, Tags or Links will be lost.

Sure this is some extra work to develop, but this can't be the hardest thing to add... And this will also add the extra feature of people being able to make Manual backups for local storage if they want.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Werner85: The point of us even offering separate servers in different regions is that they are completely separate. It's not a marketing thing. Some people legitimately need to have their data, even encrypted, only on a server in the EU, as a concrete example, for regulatory reasons.

You're right that it would be nice to have an export option through the user's account on the website, for a number of reasons, but this isn't one of them, as that's just an extra -- and unnecessary -- hoop to jump through if you just want to move your data from one account to another. It's much easier to simply copy it between them from right in the app:

Move and copy items

We would like to add a more comprehensive (i.e. not platform-dependent) export option in the future, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this discussion.

This discussion has been closed.