1Password X missing from addons.mozilla.org

Hey, I was installing the 1Password X extension on Firefox when I followed the official download link here: https://1password.com/downloads/linux/

This took me to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/?src=search which says that the extension is no longer available. See screenshot below:

Any idea what's going on?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bogeymanEST,

Thank you for the notification, I've pinged the developers to look into this and get it resolved. I'm confident this is not intentional on our part and I apologise that it means accessing 1Password X for Firefox is currently not possible.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

I just bumpbed into this too, since i was starting to have problems with 1Password X and Firefox 65. down to one browser affected and decided to reinstall the addon... oops! can't!. And since my browsers are synced, the addon will automagically disappear from the others too. This sucks!

Please advise ASAP, or if there is an alternate source of the addon in the meantime. And whatever you do, NO ONE UNINSTALL IT if you already have it. You can't get it back!

• jstnchristian
    jstnchristian
    Community Member

Wanted to add that I'm also having this issue.

• Hi folks. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. Our development team is working with Mozilla to figure out what happened and get it fixed. Unfortunately I don't have further than that to share at the moment. Until we can get this resolved you may want to consider using 1Password X with Chrome:

1Password X – Password Manager - Chrome Web Store

Ben

• esolis
    esolis
    Community Member

I'm looking for the 1Password X for Firefox but the link in the downloads page (https://1password.com/downloads/windows/) goes to a error page in Firefox Add Ons. Where can I fine the 1Password X for Firefox?

I tried the 1Password extension (ver 4.7.3.90) but it just shows a grayed out button. An an error notification saying that desktop app is unable to authenticate the app from untrusted source. When I checked the log file, it shows the following error: I installed the extension directly from the 1Password site

E2043745msThreadId(9)1Password::api:1685 │ 2043746ms │ Refusing helper connection from "C:\Windows\explorer.exe", because of untrusted certificate.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.556)
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• esolis
    esolis
    Community Member

Forgot to mention that I'm using Firefox version 65.0

• Hey, @esolis! I've merged your thread into another in the 1Password X category about the same topic, I hope you don't mind. As you'll see in prior replies, 1Password X was removed from the AMO for some reason and we're in the process of rectifying this, but I don't have an exact ETA on when it might be resolved right now. We'll be sure to keep y'all updated as we learn more from Mozilla.

As for the standard extension on Windows, any chance Firefox has an update pending? Are you using an older version of Firefox (like ESR) or a Firefox-based browser (but not actual Firefox) like Waterfox? That log is a bit misleading, but what it means is that your browser's code signature doesn't match what we have for Firefox, so 1Password won't connect to it. Why that might be varies, and I've covered a few of the possible options here. :+1:

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member

File download would be great!

• gehn
    gehn
    Community Member

I just ran into this when setting up a new computer and was able to install it manually by copying the xpi file from a profile on another computer where I already had it. Go to about:addons and select "Install Add-on From File" from the gear menu.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

AWESOME suggestion, @gehn ! I just saved off a copy from my Mac and was able to use the XPI to re-install on Linux. Note that the extension name was a GUID, so don't be deterred if you go looking for it and don't see 1password in the name. I have very few extensions installed, so doing a process of elimination was fairly easy.

• jstnchristian
    jstnchristian
    Community Member

Adding on to this, if you go to about:debugging#addons in Firefox, you can see the GUIDs for all of your installed extensions. In my case, the GUID for 1PasswordX was {d634138d-c276-4fc8-924b-40a0ea21d284}.xpi, and my full path was:

/home/<myuser>/.mozilla/firefox/<myprofile>/extensions/{d634138d-c276-4fc8-924b-40a0ea21d284}.xpi

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member

@jstnchristian Yup, same here on Kubuntu 18.04.

• paulomanrique
    paulomanrique
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables would be nice if the team provided a link for the XPI while they deal with Mozilla.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

+1 I don't think it would be be appropriate for one of us to do it. But it would be nice if Agilebits did.

• alecdotninja
    alecdotninja
    Community Member

+1 I agree. I would really like to get this extension installed on my new laptop.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I have been testing out a 1Password subscription after being a standalone user for many years because I need decent access on Linux. It's been four days now so something serious must have happened. Could anyone at Agilebits clarify if this is a problem with Mozilla's systems or whether Mozilla has pulled it for some kind of violation. If it's the latter I can stop with the testing. (Chrome is not an option)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

The team are doing their best to try and resolve this and all I can really do is repeat that we're working on this. It isn't a serious issue in terms of a problem with the extension itself, it's more a problem of bureaucracy. Extensions go through a rigorous review process and any kind of hiccup can derail the process even though the actual extension isn't to blame.

I don't know what alternative options can be used as a temporary fix. It could be we could host a copy of a XPI but it would need to be signed by Mozilla anyway and would that mean anybody using it is then stuck and can't update without removing and reinstalling once we're back in Mozilla's AMO? It could be as annoying as it is in the short-term for 1Password X not being available to our Firefox users that waiting for things to be resolved is long-term the right way to handle it.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables
    Thanks for the update. As it's good old bureaucracy I will do the only thing I can do and just wait patiently! I suppose someone hadn't completed a 27B/6 (obscure film reference!).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I didn't know the reference and now it looks like there's a film I ought to watch :lol: Cheers!

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

Well, I would expect that the saved XPI from previous installs were signed, or they wouldn’t install so easily in other browsers. Or will the very change and /all/ FireFox users will need to reinstall it? Hmm.

• Still trying. We've spent another 10 hours on this today and hope to get there soon.

If you had 1Password X installed and left it installed, you should be fine as per the Mozilla What does review rejection mean to users? guide:

People who have installed your extension will not notice any change as a result of the review rejection; they will be able to continue using your extension as usual.

Of course the problem comes when installing on a new machine or reinstalling. There's nothing we can do there except maintain another copy of 1Password X that is unlisted. I really don't want to go down that path but we will if we have to.

Timezone differences and weekends have slowed the process down even more. All I can say is I'm sorry and we're efforting on getting this resolved.

++dave;

• BOVEM1986
    BOVEM1986
    Community Member

So I finally decided to switch to Firefox from Chrome after a few years just to find out that the one extensions I use more and can't see myself without it is missing from Firefox Addons Store... ah guess I'm back to Chrome or Opera

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BOVEM1986, we're working to get 1Password X back in the Firefox Add-on store, and we'll update this thread as soon as it becomes available again. :smile:

• nikanorov
    nikanorov
    Community Member

Please simply provide xpi download link in changelog, like you do for the regular 1password extension. I do not understand why it is not there already. This happens not first time and I do not see any issues to put direct link in changelog for the 1Password X, especially if you already do this for the regular extension.

Please add it ASAP, I currently can't use 1Password on my new Linux desktop. It should be production quality supported, not like beta.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

yay!!! :)

• jstnchristian
    jstnchristian
    Community Member

W00t! Any chance we'll get an RCA?

• Tom Boucher
    Tom Boucher
    Community Member

My tongue in cheek RCA:

Firefox is zealot in protecting user privacy and there was something in the 1password extension that tripped their radar and they shot first asked questions later and removed it, and once Agile Bits answered the appropriate check box they're back.

Just a WAG, but I bet I'm closer :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey folks!

Sorry for the delay in responding here. The 1Password X team is in person this week which is a rare opportunity working on some pretty cool new features for everyone. As @nikanorov mentioned, 1Password X has been rightfully restored to its home on AMO (addons.mozzila.org).

I would love to give everyone a detailed breakdown of Mozilla's review process, the events that led up to 1Password X getting temporarily disabled on AMO, and the challenges we encountered in getting arguably one of the most complex add-ons on AMO fully approved by Mozilla. I need a bit of time to write up the details required to explain everything adequately, but Dave is inviting me to join him in the hot tub, so I'll ensure those get written up and posted here in the morning. ❤️

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

Aww! Can we come?? ;)

This discussion has been closed.