TouchID on Mac: browser popup window only?

Options
StripedTiger
StripedTiger
Community Member

In 1Pass settings I have Touch ID enabled, and master password required every 1 week.

• Any day in the middle of that week, when I unlock my laptop, if I go to the full 1Password application, it shows the circular "fingerprint" icon below the password field, as if that feature might be available - but it's not. The Touch ID dialog window also never appears on its own. I have to type the master pass, every day.

• However, if I start by unlocking my laptop in the morning, and go first to the web browser instead (Chrome) and click the tiny toolbar "1" icon to access 1Pass for the first time, it does automatically trigger Touch ID. Then the full 1Pass app also opens without any auth, as expected.

This bug seems to have crept in with some update in the past month or two. I made sure this behavior was consistent before reporting it.

Thanks,

OSX Sierra 10.12.6, 1Pass v7.2.4

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StripedTiger - I'm sorry for the trouble! Out of everything you said, one thing struck me: when you see the fingerprint icon below the Master Password field, have you tried clicking that? If not, give that a try.

• StripedTiger
    StripedTiger
    Community Member
    Options

I did. That's what I mean by, "as if that feature might be available - but it's not". Thanks --

• rudy
    Options

@StripedTiger,

The auto-prompt for Touch ID is not meant to happen in certain activation scenarios, this is because what will end up happening is that you'd either manually or auto-lock and then get immediately prompted (with the system level, floating, touch id prompt) which is not really a desirable behavior. You can alternatively hold command + option and hit the i button to get it to prompt.

• StripedTiger
    StripedTiger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rudy . The remaining issue was that clicking on the fingerprint icon (when opening the main app) usually didn't work. Sometimes it would surprise me and work. I forgot to try your Vulcan Pinch workaround.

I have since managed to drown that business laptop in a Venti Mocha. I now have new hardware and High Sierra (finally!) instead of old Sierra. This fingerprint problem seems to have gone away.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StripedTiger

I have since managed to drown that business laptop in a Venti Mocha.

😳Ooooh, I feel your pain. That's never good.

I now have new hardware and High Sierra (finally!) instead of old Sierra

But hey, silver linings, right?

This fingerprint problem seems to have gone away.

Even better. Keep an eye on things and let us know if the problem recurs or if you notice anything else that requires attention. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.