1Password 4 doesn't work in Chrome 72

Comments

• louismare
    louismare
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hello. I have 1Password 4 and from yesterday my extension is not working after when chrome updated. The 1Password extension version is 4.7.3.90 and chrome version is 72.0.3626.81. I tried to uninstall and install, i have in Help Advanced ''Native Messaging Protocol'', also i tried with ''Restart 1Password Helper''. The Firefox and Opera extension is working properly. Please help me... Thank you in advance!!!

• louismare
    louismare
    Community Member

Hello. I have 1Password 4 and from yesterday my extension is not working after when chrome updated. I tried to uninstall and install, i have in Help Advanced ''Native Messaging Protocol'', also i tried with ''Restart 1Password Helper''. The Firefox and Opera extension is working properly. Please help me... Thank you in advance!!!

• Hello, @louismare! Google recently updated Chrome's signing certificate starting with Chrome 72, which means 1Password 4 can no longer recognize it. We will not be updating 1Password 4 to address this. While we're happy to continue helping folks out with 1Password 4 and totally understand that not everyone will want to upgrade to 1Password 7, we need to keep looking forward from a development perspective. There will come various points as 1Password 4 ages where certain things will just stop working as the world changes around it, but as you noted, Opera still works fine, as will many other browsers. If you'd like to stick with 1Password 4, you still have options for saving and filling in your web browser, but Chrome 72+ will only work with 1Password 7.

• valentyn
    valentyn
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hello there Bundtkate

I have a similar issue with 1Password 4. I actually downloaded 7 to install, but the exe does nothing. I've even tried installing as an administrator after right-clicking it.Nothing happens.
    I'm able to install various other programs; but 1Password 7 refuses to run the installer.
    I was able to easily uninstall and reinstall 1Password 4 as well.
    At best I briefly see 1password 7 appear in task manager; but the install never actually runs.

EDIT: I created a proper topic, as not to hijack this one.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @valentyn,

I noticed your second thread, so let's continue our conversation there. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• cstockley
    cstockley
    Community Member

This is really disappointing, as some one said in the other thread "...1Password has sucked all the money out of loyal version 4 customers and now you are dumping us...". After many years of using 1Password I was first abandoned on my Mac and now on Chrome on my PC, time to move on. For all those with the same sentiment to move check out the www.dashlane.com, which is the number 1 password manager

• Hi @cstockley,

I'm sorry you feel that way but we're not dumping anyone. You can still use Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi with 1Password 4 and you can turn off the check to keep using Chrome 72. We still will support you and 1Password 4 but we're not shipping any more updates to 1Password 4 unless it is a critical security update.

• tdbsb
    tdbsb
    Community Member

Really disappointed in that 1Password has chosen not to update v4 to support Chrome 72+ seems like a relatively simple fix that would have made customers happy. Additionally would've appreciated a warning that this was going to happen or that it was no longer compatible rather than try to troubleshoot things for a good 30 mins. Definitely a bit frustrated by the way this was handled, and I imagine businesses that use 1Password were especially frustrated.

• delta_26
    delta_26
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi @MikeT,

Come on, that is just ridiculous. Chrome has 80% of the market share of browsers. What you are doing is saying that you refuse to devote a trivial amount of development time to make it work for the most widely used browser. This whole "new Chrome version, nothing we can do" attitude is a transparent cash grab if we want to use your product with the most prolific browser. If y'all made it work in 1Password 7, it would not be difficult to make it work for previous versions. I bet you could even let developers in the community do the dev work for you or have an intern get it squared away. You absolutely could find a way to make it work, you just believe that the investment is not worth the return. Your failure and refusal to do so has damaged your Goodwill, which is far more valuable than the amount of dev time it would take to get this sorted.

What you are trying to do is push your oldest and most loyal customers into your new revenue model and have accepted that it will create churn.

We supported you when your company was young and in the critical growth stage. We took a chance on you. Over the past few years, I have recommended 1Password to countless colleagues, friends, family, and anyone who would listen. That is not going to happen any more.

• Hi guys,

@tdbsb,

Additionally would've appreciated a warning that this was going to happen or that it was no longer compatible rather than try to troubleshoot things for a good 30 mins.

As per our privacy policy and the fact that 1Password 4 was only available for standalone licenses; we don't keep any information on our customers, there's no way to warn everyone that Chrome update is going to trip the security check in 1Password 4.

Definitely a bit frustrated by the way this was handled, and I imagine businesses that use 1Password were especially frustrated.

Most of our business customers are running the latest 1Password versions as they need up to update security products and they're continuously updated as part of the service we provided.

@delta_26,

What you are doing is saying that you refuse to devote a trivial amount of development time to make it work for the most widely used browser.

We're saying we're putting all of our resources on the latest 1Password version, we're not updating 1Password 4 unless it is for a critical security fix only.

Recall that we've actually extended the life of 1Password 4 by shipping the support for Native Messaging in 1Password 4.6.2 after almost all of our extensions were switched to the Native Messaging protocol but we do have to draw the line at some point and focus on supporting the latest versions only where most of our customers are. That was a massive update provided for free, we could've offer it as a paid update due to the amount of work that went into it.

If y'all made it work in 1Password 7, it would not be difficult to make it work for previous versions.

Except 1Password 4 and 7 are two separate products with nothing in common. We can make improvements for 1Password 7 because that's where our focus has been for two years; our development team is used to it. 1Password 4 would take much longer to figure out and then take time away from 1Password 7 development.

What you are trying to do is push your oldest and most loyal customers into your new revenue model and have accepted that it will create churn.

You can choose to buy a standalone license for 1Password 7, just like 1Password 1 and 4 for Windows. We just happen to have two separate models right now, you can choose which one or you can choose not to upgrade and keep using 1Password 4 with Chrome by turning off the security system (which is not strongly recommended) for Chrome 72 or pick something else.

Yes, upgrade fees suck but so is having nobody maintaining the product for several years because the revenue model wasn't sustainable for us.

We supported you when your company was young and in the critical growth stage. We took a chance on you. Over the past few years, I have recommended 1Password to countless colleagues, friends, family, and anyone who would listen. That is not going to happen any more.

First, we thank you for your support. However, we do need a recurring revenue to keep updating 1Password with latest security improvements, new features, and more, we have families just like you do and we have to feed ourselves. A lot of 1Password 1 customers got a free upgrade to 1Password 4 and a license back then was 20-40$ (2014). We're seeing new licenses for 49.99$ on sale for 1Password 7 now or you can choose to 1Password.com membership that gives you access to all 1Password apps and future upgrades included at no extra cost as well as integrated sync, easier sharing and so much more.

• For any of y'all having trouble purchasing a standalone license, it's found right in 1Password 7. Once you install the new version and open your vault, you'll see a prompt to "Subscribe Today" or, right underneath that, "Need a license? We have those too." Click that second option and you can purchase your license from there. Once purchased, you'll receive an e-mail with a link to download your license file. Download it, then double-click the downloaded file with 1Password 7 open to apply your license, you'll be set from there. :+1:

• tdbsb
    tdbsb
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation @MikeT I can certainly appreciate where 1Password is coming from and appreciate the color you have provided, again thank you for that.

One suggestion for the future is to mention key breaking points like this one in the Chrome Extension description or announce it via Twitter. Perhaps you already do something like that?

@bundtkate Do you still offer volume standalone licenses?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One suggestion for the future is to mention key breaking points like this one in the Chrome Extension description or announce it via Twitter. Perhaps you already do something like that?

@tdbsb: I don't think that makes sense given it only affects users on Windows with the old version of 1Password, but it's something we can consider.

Do you still offer volume standalone licenses?

Please get in touch at business@1password.com with the details if you'd like a quote for your company. :)

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

I'm having this problem too with 1Password 4 and Chrome. I don't mind upgrading to 1Password 7 as long as I don't have to do a subscription service as I don't need the online stuff.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @baker,

Sorry for the confusion. I just replied to your message here.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• dcsobral
    dcsobral
    Community Member

@MikeT

You can choose to buy a standalone license for 1Password 7,

Try as I might, I can't find a way to do that.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

@dcsobral: Look at some of the other top posts in the 1password4 forum. They've given some instructions on how to buy a standalone license. Though after looking into it, I think I'm going to signup for a subscription. I like the idea that you have to have your Master Password and your key in order to get into your online stuff. Also their subscription service has been around for a few years now, and so I'd guess they've already worked out any major bugs or any security problems discovered.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dcsobral: While baker is correct, I'm happy to point you in the right direction. :)

You'll be given the option to purchase a license if you install 1Password 7 and set it up with only a local vault. You can find pricing, features, and a download link in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Worth noting, if you setup the app with a 1Password membership account, you won't be prompted to purchase a license, since the membership includes the app anyway.

Anyway, if you have questions, just let us know. :)

• vector1701
    vector1701
    Community Member

I just ran into this issue. Can I still buy a 1Password 7 one-time license still? I have 1Password 4 right now. If so, how?

Thanks,
    Patrick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vector1701: Yes. Please see my post immediately preceding yours. :)

This discussion has been closed.