Multiple clicks to fill password [Confirmed bug, fixed in 7.3.661.BETA]

Comments

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

Seems to be working good for me now too. I had noticed some sites the first click always worked. Other sites were fussy so I was using the enter key solution. Seemed site specific for me. It now seems to work on all the previous fussy sites. Except one:
    https://www.marriott.com/default.mi

On this one login page, when I click on the entry, the entry disappears as it should but the User Id / Password never fills in. The site used to work fine before the bug appeared, and it was working fine with the enter key solution. Now my only option is to copy / paste the User Id / Password on this one. It's one of those sites where you click the 'log in' option and then a sub page (my term) pops up to enter the log in info. So this site has become one of those "problem child" sites for me. Certainly not going back to the previous version just for this one site though. Really happy the rest are working now!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@saturnonearth: Great news! Let's wait for others and keep our fingers crossed. :)

• Thanks for letting us know, @syntax53! I'm glad to hear it seems to be working in the wild.

@LearningToFly: Any chance that site may have sneaky changed its form at just the right time to make it look like a new bug? These changes aren't always apparent to those of us using the site, so my first suggestions is always to try creating a new Login manually and see if that works. Give it a go and let me know if you still see the same issue.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion @bundtkate . I actually didn't know that trick to manually create a login. But alas, the new manually created login exhibits the same symptoms.

Then I rolled back the Beta update to the 7.3.657 version and both the original and the newly created login properly fill the page when either the click or the enter key works.

Re-installed 7.3.661 and it's back to not playing nice with the Marriott site.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LearningToFly,

Please try to add the following URL to this Marriott item in your vault: https://www.marriott.com/sign-in.mi

I just checked it on my side and it works for me. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Seems fixed!

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Seems to be fixed!

• incombinative
    incombinative
    Community Member

I've been having similar problems over the last year, getting worse and worse until the last two weeks the extension is totally dead in Chrome (This is the "1password (requires desktop app)" extension. )
    When I right click form fields, the 1password item is in the right click menu. the longstanding problem is that I could click it, and the submenu would appear for the site's logins, but I'd have to go through that sequence maybe 3, maybe 15 times literally before it would actually fill the user/pass.
    After a while, many months ago now, I found somewheree that opening the 1password desktop app and doing "Help > restart 1password helper" would almost always fix it. But I'd have to do that many times a day to keep it working.

Now what's happening is different. Now clicking the 1password item in the right click menu doesn't even bring up the site logins for any site. It's been totally defunct like this for about 2 weeks.
    I've disabled all other extensions, uninstalled and reinstalled the 1password Chrome extension. restarted the machine obviously.
    The Firefox extension does work interestingly enough.

My workaround for the moment is to manually open 1password and manually get the password into the clipboard every time.

• @ttim03: That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know!

@incombinative: Are you using 1Password 4 by chance? This thread is about 1Password 7, but what you're seeing makes me think maybe you're running into 1Password 4 refusing to connect to Chrome 72. If I'm on the right track, more on that can be found here.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@Greg Just adding the URL you mentioned to my existing entry still did not work for me. But here's what did.

My bookmark took me to the URL I originally linked above: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi . In fact, if you just manually type marriott.com it takes you to that address. So instead I changed the bookmark to take me to the URL you linked above: https://www.marriott.com/sign-in.mi . And I immediately noticed it's the same page you get as a pop up from the default page. Guessing that's why you suggesting adding that URL to my entry. Anyway, my entry works fine when it's on that standalone page. It just doesn't seem to work when that URL is a pop-up.

So I still can't get it to work from the login button on their default page, but now I have a bookmark that takes me to a page that does work for me.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LearningToFly,

Sign-in pop-ups are hard to identify and fill in, that is why I asked you to use a standalone Marriott sign-in page. I am glad to hear that 1Password is able to fill your credentials there.

If you have any other issues or questions, please create a separate discussion. Let's leave this one for multiple clicks issue. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I'm happy to report that the beta fixed this for me as well

• JohnQuar
    JohnQuar
    Community Member

The beta has resolved this issue for me. Thanks!

• Thanks for sharing, @Manaburner and @JohnQuar! The good data points are piling up at this point, so seems we may have a winner. :chuffed:

• headhertz
    headhertz
    Community Member

Perhaps since the addition of Secure Desktop, which I do not use, 1Password often fails to fill selected credentials. This seems to be especially true when more than one credential matches and a selection must be made. This seems to be true in both Firefox and Chrome.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

I figured out the problem! (Or, at worst, I've figured out one problem, which causes an apparent need for multiple clicks.)

When 1Password shows you a "login", you're looking at a wide low rectangle, that represents the vault entry. And item like this one:

The problem is: you'd think the entire rectangle, including the portion with the text, is clickable.
    NOPE!
    1Password will promptly fill in username and password ONLY if you click the icon - the left part of the item, yellow-highlighted above. (By "promptly" I mean: after a few-second delay, most times.)

By contrast, clicking the rest of that rectangle merely selects it. (Which is pointless: there are no actions that can be taken on a selected item that aren't already available.) The message at the bottom of the dialog box ("Filling in Chrome for www.example.com") adds to the confusion: it is displayed regardless of whether 1Password is actually attempted to fill the form.

In my case, I before I figured out that I should click on the icon, I was clicking again and again, on that rectangle until I either blundered into the secret useful-click zone, or somehow caused 1Password to eventually deign to fill that login form.

So the work-around is: click on the icon (on the left of the login/card/etc) to log in. Clicking elsewhere in the item's rectangle merely selects it.

This is not at all obvious, and thus this is a bug. (Perhaps a design bug, but a bug.)

Bug report:
    The 1Password context menu presents a list of items, each one a wide rectangle that includes a square icon. The icon must be clicked to fill login forms.
    Behavior: Clicking the icon (yellow-highlighted above) causes a login. Clicking elsewhere selects the item, but doesn't provoke the desired form-fill.
    Expect: Because the rectangle looks like a single button, I don't expect different outcomes if I click on different parts of that rectangle.
    Else: a better visual design that shows the affordance.
    Justifying usability principle: User errors that are frequent, and that are reasonable misinterpretations of a visual UI are design bug, and are not dismissed as stupid-user problems by developers who care about user experience.
    Aggravating bugs: The fact that there's no point -- no added affordance -- in selecting an item from the list of presented by the context menu. And the fact that there's a "filling in..." message that's displayed from the outset, even before 1Password is making any effort to fill in the form.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

@Netpog Are you using the beta version that MikeT made available? It's available in an early post on this thread - it's back one page for me. The beta seems to have solved the issue for all reporting so far.

• I'd be happy to repost the link: 7.3.661 Beta 1 update

We do apologize, our team is down with a lot of illnesses going around after a conference and our lead developer is among those affected including myself. We're working as fast as we can to get the next stable update out. We need to make a few more installer-related adjustments before we do that.

@netpog, that was actually one of our first theories but the problem is that we didn't change the mini's design at all in 1Password 7.3, so the fact it went wrong in 7.3 but fine in 7.2 suggested other external factors. We did try this anyway and it didn't fully address the issue, so we ended up rebuilding the method to detect drag and clicks in that view, which so far is confirmed by several beta users that it is working fine. It is an odd issue but we'll keep investigating to see why it needed that change and ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Sorry to hear you've so many teammates under the weather, @MikeT. This sort of thing just fuels the fires of those who always gripe "Too many meetings!" (Or that your office's ventilation is inadequate. But it probably is.)

I'm a new user. But I'd be happy to try 7.2 if you'd like, and if you can give me a link.

And I'll try the beta, thanks. (And thanks, @LearningToFly. ) Maybe I'll then have the expected experience -- the same as @syntax53.

To be honest, I never thought to try dragging.

In general, I'm very happy with 1Password. The other leading brand was full of glitches, and had many settings with meanings that are mysterious even to the developers.

By contrast, although you've got some minor UI oddities ("view" vs "edit" needs more work), overall 1Password is SOLID. Thanks for it!

• Hi @netpog,

I'm a new user. But I'd be happy to try 7.2 if you'd like, and if you can give me a link.

I would recommend using 7.3.661 beta (link provided in the beta announcement here).

By contrast, although you've got some minor UI oddities ("view" vs "edit" needs more work), overall 1Password is SOLID.

Thanks, we've been working hard on it; it's actually relatively a young codebase for us and we have a lot of improvements planned for this year including the design.

There are many UI oddities to fix for sure, I'm still yelling at the team for the misalignment but I don't want to point it out because once you see it, you can't unsee it.

This sort of thing just fuels the fires of those who always gripe "Too many meetings!" (Or that your office's ventilation is inadequate. But it probably is.)

Actually, the conference wasn't at our office; we were on a cruise ship for it. Majority of our team is remote; so once a year, we come together on a cruise for a week conference. Sadly, despite all efforts to immunize ourselves with everything we can think of, it didn't work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @headhertz,

I've merged your posts into that thread given they do seem to be referring to the same bug. If there is anything that you feel remains unanswered in this now merged thread please let us know.

• AaronR2
    AaronR2
    Community Member

Updating to Beta 7.3.661 has resolved the multiple/unresponsive clicking issue in Firefox. Thanks.

• Glad to hear it, @AaronR2! Thanks for letting us know. :chuffed:

• pbninja101
    pbninja101
    Community Member

To bump this thread again, the beta version helps with the issue of the click not being registered, however I've found when I click it can still take quite a few seconds to autofill.

• Hi @pbninja101,

The slight delay is a completely different issue and we are working on it.

• pbninja101
    pbninja101
    Community Member

Ah okay, I didn't see it in the known issues thread.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@pbninja101: Our team is working on that other issue. Please stay tuned and let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.