Windows Chrome Extension not working

The chrome extension will not populate or save any password/login data for new sites or for sites that are saved already. I have a paid family membership although I am currently the only family member using the program until I can get all the kinks worked out. It seems that several other users have had a similar issue, however I have not been able to resolve things using information from those discussions. I have 1Password version 6.8.496 and the Chrome Extension version 4.7.0.90 on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• PMaytham
    PMaytham
    Community Member

Had the same problem. My solutions was to uninstall 1password, search in explorer for %localappdata% Delete the onepassword folder in local App data as well as the "Google" folder in App Data. Then start over. Uninstall google Chrome, reinstall chrome, reinstall 1password, then finally add the extension for 1password in chrome. A lot of steps but it seems to work know. Unless you in a hurry I would suggest you contact 1password support via email, as I'm no expert. The customer support is slow, but at least they know the product. Good luck

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @jennilott,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1: I am sorry for the troubles.

First of all, could you please open and unlock 1Password 6 on your PC and go to > 1Password > Settings > Advanced and tell me what you have enabled under 1Password Browser Extension Integration? If Native Messaging is disabled there, please enable it for both browsers, restart 1Password and browsers, and let me know if it works after that.

@Pmaytham: Thank you for weighing in! We do our best to reply as soon as possible and I am sorry to hear that your experience with our support was slow. I found your email on our side and will make sure that we get back to you today. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I checked the box for both Chrome and Firefox. but when I try and access the extension it tells me "1Password helper app is not running". How do I start it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BSchott: Which version of 1Password do you have installed?

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member

Same version is posted - 6.8.496. I found I had to restart chrome after making the 1Password change. All works now.

• @BSchott: Yep, that's the ticket! Your browser launches the helper process when it launches, so it's a good idea to restart your browser any time you make these sorts of tweaks. Glad you're up and running and if we can do anything else to help, you know where to find us. :chuffed:

• jennilott
    jennilott
    Community Member

@greg Just now getting back to my office. I looked at 1Password and both of the boxes were already checked for native messaging in my setup so that solution isn't working for me.

• jennilott
    jennilott
    Community Member

@pmaytham - thanks for the suggestion. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password but didn't think about removing chrome & reinstalling too. Hopefully tech support will have another idea, but if not I'm trying yours.

• @jennilott: Before we do anything drastic, could you check that Chrome is up-to-date? If Chrome is in the middle of an update or significantly outdated, the extension will be disabled until you update it. In my experience it's pretty awful about updating itself and I need to kick it in the rear from time to time. Copy chrome://settings/help, paste it into your address bar in Chrome, and press enter. If an update is available, it will start downloading right away. Restart Chrome when prompted and give filling another try. If Chrome is up-to-date or updating doesn't fix the problem, let us know. Thanks! :chuffed:

• jennilott
    jennilott
    Community Member

@bundtkate: Updated chrome, rebooted everything, 1Password still not working

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jennilott, thanks for the info!

That is quite strange. Could you please visit the website you have saved in 1Password and then click on 1Password icon in Chrome. Do you see the list of the Logins for this website or it doesn't work at all? Please tell us the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jennilott
    jennilott
    Community Member

@greg: Well, I don't know what happened but I just went into Chrome so I could exactly describe each step and now 1Password is working. Must have been the 87th re-boot. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's really weird, but I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now. Thanks for the update! I wonder if it just took a bit of time for everything to get up and running on your system, since there are a lot of parts involved — 1Password app, browser, extension, Native Messaging process. Hopefully you don't encounter any further hiccups, but we're here if you need us. :)

• Dave_Carlos
    Dave_Carlos
    Community Member

This has just happened to me after a Windows 10 update. Tried everything listed here by 1Password team. Nothing makes any difference. Help please. 1Password 4.6.2.626 installed Extension 4.7.3.90 Thanks

• Hey, @Dave_Carlos! This thread is a bit outdated as Chrome has recently changed its signing certificate meaning 1Password 4 will no longer recognize it. You can find more details about this, including what you can do next. in this announcement post. :+1:

• Dave_Carlos
    Dave_Carlos
    Community Member

I can find no mention of Licences, rather than subscriptions, on yout Family pricing page, yet your article says they are available. Please supply licence prices. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

You can find that in the announcement for 1Password 7, along with some highlights of what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

As well as from within the app, since that's where you can purchase and use it. :)

• z1ross
    z1ross
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Well If they are going to not bother to continue support, then I think its time to switch and stop using 1password since they don't want to update the signing process for Chrome and 1password 4 for windows. Goodby old friend. its time to let you die and use a new product after over a decade! I've had been using 1password since Version2 (for sure) and I'm not about to upgrade to a new $50 license when I've already had to purchase the pro app for IOS and Android and the newer versions for mac. Talk about greed taking over a good company. :(

• z1ross
    z1ross
    Community Member

@bundtkate , It is nice to see the company cares more about a pretty UI, money and useless new features then providing stable solid product that does what it should do at all times. Technically The chrome support is a SECURITY update that 1password4 should be getting. I will continue to move things over to the other password managers I have lifetime subscriptions too, as they are at least adding functionality that works and not gouging $50 everytime I turn around.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@z1ross: If we didn't continue to offer support, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. If you need help with something that is possible with 1Password 4, just let us know. But the old version hasn't been under active development for more than a year now, and is not going to be updated for any future OS and browser changes either -- just like its predecessor. At most, you could have paid for a single upgrade to 1Password for Windows -- version 4 -- at this point. So I don't think it's crazy that we're charging for a second major release after about 5 years. If you think it's greedy for us to get paid for the work we do, I don't know what to tell you. I hope you get paid for yours. Take care.

• z1ross
    z1ross
    Community Member

@brenty I've spent lots of money over the years buying family licenses, single licenses, for windows, mac, iOS and android. I've been a user since 1password Jan 10th, 2008 and MAC only and yes, I'm registered with a ".mac.com" email account now, but I was still on Earthlink back when I made that purchase! I've been a loyal user. I currently have family licenses for 1password 6 on my mac computers in my house hold. I also have the pro apps for both IOS (under multiple icloud accounts) and Android with all feature unlocks to fully support a product I believed in. Now Chrome does a SECURITY UPGRADE with their signing cert and Agilebits doesn't consider it a security upgrade so they are not going to patch 1password 4 to work with the security upgrade because why??? Agilebits is using it as an excuse to not fix it to force people to upgrade for a prettier UI that provides no usability improvements. That is GREED!

1password family license for all platforms has never been offered to my knowledge! It has become money grab. So I don't think I'll continue to support Agilebits for much longer as a company that is more about taking money then it is about doing what is right isn't a company I want to be seen supporting .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've spent lots of money over the years buying family licenses, single licenses, for windows, mac, iOS and android. I've been a user since 1password Jan 10th, 2008 and MAC only and yes, I'm registered with a ".mac.com" email account now, but I was still on Earthlink back when I made that purchase! I've been a loyal user. I currently have family licenses for 1password 6 on my mac computers in my house hold. I also have the pro apps for both IOS (under multiple icloud accounts) and Android with all feature unlocks to fully support a product I believed in.

@z1ross: Thanks for your support! It sounds like you may have paid for things you maybe didn't have to. Even if that's not the case, please feel free to reach out to sales@1password.com with your purchase details and we can see what we can do to help you make the transition, if you decide you want to upgrade.

Now Chrome does a SECURITY UPGRADE with their signing cert and Agilebits doesn't consider it a security upgrade so they are not going to patch 1password 4 to work with the security upgrade because why???

We didn't change Chrome. Changing the code signature was not a security fix, and certainly not one involving 1Password. As far as I'm aware, all other browsers 1Password 4 supports still work with it. You can use one of those as an alternative (many of which are even Chrome-based): Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, and maybe others I'm forgetting.

Agilebits is using it as an excuse to not fix it to force people to upgrade for a prettier UI that provides no usability improvements. That is GREED!

Sorry, nope. You're asking us to do work: make changes to an app that has been discontinued since 2017. We're focused on the current version of 1Password, since many people are currently paying us to do that work.

1password family license for all platforms has never been offered to my knowledge!

1Password Families includes all of the apps and updates.

It has become money grab. So I don't think I'll continue to support Agilebits for much longer as a company that is more about taking money then it is about doing what is right isn't a company I want to be seen supporting .

If your idea of "supporting" a company equates to being unwilling to pay for updates, which require humans to develop, test, and support all of that, then 1Password probably isn't a good fit for you. I hope you find what you're looking for.

• z1ross
    z1ross
    Community Member

@brenty , The Families account feature is new. When I wanted to buy a 1password 6 family license pack for windows and Mac computers it wasn't available. I would also NEVER EVER EVER EVER Trust my passwords on your service or anyones service to store this information as those types of services are open to hackers where when my PC is offline, it can't be hacked unless completely stolen. I also only store passwords I need on mobile devices and do not use cloud syncing any longer. Also my job forbids all of your supported syncing functions so I cannot use your "Licensed monthly charging" software and must have standalone if I want to store some of my personal information at work.

FYI, If I was a hacker... companies offering these types of sync services on dedicated known routes and protocols would be the holy grail for personal information if someone was to hack the account or get their information to be able to access the account. At least using a cloud sync from device to device there is no UI to hack into to actually see the information.. You would have to hack multiple systems, the cloud account then locate the DB then hack the DB. This provides more layers of actual security then a single system with an available UI.

I may reach out to sales to see what can be done. But FYI, $50 for Zero net usable features only providing current browser support, new sync, billing options and a prettier UI that is actually slower than the previous version, isn't justifiable. $20 ($25 for family) is justifiable for standalone versions that do not utilize your sync resources. Lets be serious here, just how much can you improve on "CTRL+\" or "CMD+\" to fill in the login on the web page? Because in the end, for the average person that uses your app it does exactly the same basic things in v.7 as it did in revision v.3, and v.3 did it much faster.

And FYI, I've tried to push using your software at work for password distribution and management within my team, because that is how much I like it, but I got shot down by HQ. :(

I also made a suggestion at one point to make it terminal friendly where you could define a application (any application not a web browser) and using the hot key, pop up a list of passwords (showing the names only, nothing fancy its a terminal window), that you could select from using only the keyboard to auto paste into the terminal window (or cursor location, example... when you need to SSH or SCP commands. That feature would go over well with anyone that lives and works in the terminal world. This would also open your application to store passwords for logging into Any dedicated application like a online video game that doesn't offer storing the password to allow easy access like "Elder Scrolls Online". It is these usability features that would actually improve the application and make it even more desirable. And it would work because local users processes are visible to other applications. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The Families account feature is new.

@z1ross: Relatively speaking, in the lifespan of 1Password, sure. But we introduced 1Password Families almost three years ago. So it has been around for a bit. :)

When I wanted to buy a 1password 6 family license pack for windows and Mac computers it wasn't available.

Licenses are an entirely different thing. Since we can't offer a license that will work across all platforms (app stores require separate purchases, as they are owned and operated by competing companies) but a lot of people thought that the old Mac+Windows "bundle" would allow that, we stopped selling that years ago to cut down on that confusion. It's helped immensely. And then when 1Password Families was released, there was (finally!) a way for people to use 1Password across all their devices without buying separate licenses for everything.

I would also NEVER EVER EVER EVER Trust my passwords on your service or anyones service to store this information as those types of services are open to hackers where when my PC is offline, it can't be hacked unless completely stolen. I also only store passwords I need on mobile devices and do not use cloud syncing any longer.

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough, or if some of this got lost in the wall of text, but I do think there's an important distinction here: regardless of how you use 1Password, an attacker would need to get the "keys" to decrypt your data directly from you anyway, so effectively it doesn't matter if you're using 1Password only with local data or syncing/hosting it somehow. In either case, the easiest way for an attacker to get the encrypted data would be from your device, and they would still need to get the Master Password needed to decrypt it from you. So being "offline" doesn't offer a real security benefit, only a small amount of obscurity -- assuming you never connect that device to the internet, which, to be honest, is not a common use case for 1Password.

Also my job forbids all of your supported syncing functions so I cannot use your "Licensed monthly charging" software and must have standalone if I want to store some of my personal information at work.

Your job dictates that you are not allowed to sync data at all? Can you clarify? That sounds like you wouldn't even be able to use email. I don't doubt that there are some jobs where that is the case, but it isn't something I hear a lot so I'd be curious to know more about what is/is not allowed -- if you're able to share in a way that doesn't compromise your own privacy or confidentiality of your work.

FYI, If I was a hacker... companies offering these types of sync services on dedicated known routes and protocols would be the holy grail for personal information if someone was to hack the account or get their information to be able to access the account. At least using a cloud sync from device to device there is no UI to hack into to actually see the information.. You would have to hack multiple systems, the cloud account then locate the DB then hack the DB. This provides more layers of actual security then a single system with an available UI.

Hackers don't need UI, so there would only be some "protection" against incompetent attackers. It's not a bet I would take. It's actually more efficient to do an offline attack on the data anyway, rather than trying to automate/simulate user interaction with a GUI app.

I may reach out to sales to see what can be done. But FYI, $50 for Zero net usable features only providing current browser support, new sync, billing options and a prettier UI that is actually slower than the previous version, isn't justifiable. $20 ($25 for family) is justifiable for standalone versions that do not utilize your sync resources.

Sorry, but 25$ a year for 5(*) users isn't sustainable for a security product that is not taking money on the side from other sources (data brokers, advertisers, investors, etc.), and we're not willing to compromise security or privacy in order to join the race to the bottom on pricing. If it's not a good fit for you now, that's okay. But I'd love to hear about the specific things that a 1Password membership doesn't yet do for you that you wish it did.

Lets be serious here, just how much can you improve on "CTRL+\" or "CMD+\" to fill in the login on the web page?

The keyboard shortcut was "done" over a decade ago. But the websites 1Password knows about are changing all the time and we need to continually work to improve saving and filling -- to say nothing of the billions(?) of websites that we haven't encountered yet, more of which are being created every day. If 1Password has always worked flawlessly for you in this regard, you're very lucky, as you've found the "sweet spot" of sites that follow web standards and accessibility guidelines and therefore work very well with 1Password. But if you look around the forum you'll see that we're always getting requests from users to improve it for one site or another. :)

Because in the end, for the average person that uses your app it does exactly the same basic things in v.7 as it did in revision v.3, and v.3 did it much faster.

If you look around at the steady stream of feature requests we get and have gotten over the years, you will find it otherwise. ;) But if you're happy with the version you already have, I'm happy about that and glad if it does everything you want it to, and does it well. We've put a lot of time and energy into making 1Password, and it's really gratifying to know that it's found such a solid spot in your workflow. :chuffed:

And FYI, I've tried to push using your software at work for password distribution and management within my team, because that is how much I like it, but I got shot down by HQ. :(

I'd encourage you to reach out at business@1password.com so we can discuss your company's needs. Maybe 1Password isn't a perfect fit now, but we continue to evolve it through feedback and perhaps it can be a better fit for them in the future. :)

I also made a suggestion at one point to make it terminal friendly where you could define a application (any application not a web browser) and using the hot key, pop up a list of passwords (showing the names only, nothing fancy its a terminal window), that you could select from using only the keyboard to auto paste into the terminal window (or cursor location, example... when you need to SSH or SCP commands. That feature would go over well with anyone that lives and works in the terminal world. This would also open your application to store passwords for logging into Any dedicated application like a online video game that doesn't offer storing the password to allow easy access like "Elder Scrolls Online". It is these usability features that would actually improve the application and make it even more desirable. And it would work because local users processes are visible to other applications. :)

Aha! A feature request! ;) We're actually moving in that direction, though there aren't a lot of reliable APIs for this. On macOS there is a way to match Logins to apps that use modern OS conventions to identify themselves, and on Windows we'll be building on the current "Type in window" feature to try to detect the current application (though this is notoriously difficult with many games because they're often using a wrapper for the "launcher" UI) to enable an "Auto-Type" feature that works similar to browser filling. Stay tuned!

This discussion has been closed.