Chrome plugin not working

I have 1Password for my iOS device.

• Some time ago, over a year now, I downloaded version 4.6.2.626 for my Win10 machine
  • I downloaded the plugin for Chome(v72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit) and IE11
  • IE11 continues to work great
  • Chrome is now complaining it cannot find 1Password desktop
  • I have removed and reinstalled the Chrome extension without success of this working

Other things to note

• I have OS X with 1Password and the Chrome extension and up to now, it continues to work
  • OS X and Safari also continues to work
  • While I never used MS Edge, just for ShiGiggles, I decided to test it there and it also doesn't work

Can anyone let me know if there are issues with this version of Chrome(or MS Edge) and 1Password?

T.I.A...

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @nappy_d,

Sorry for the troubles!

1Password 4 for Windows is discontinued and it will not work with Chrome 72, due to updated code signature. Check this discussion for more information.

You'd need to either upgrade to 1Password 7 (please note that this is a separate purchase for the owners of 1Password 4), which is being actively developed and has the new signature, or use one of the other supported browsers (such as Brave, Firefox, Opera, etc.).

1Password 7 for Windows supports both standalone licenses and 1Password.com service but the best part about 1Password.com service is that you'll always get the future versions included automatically and access to all 1Password apps as well, no extra costs.

Let me know if you have additional questions, we are here to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• kiyoto
    kiyoto
    Community Member
  • nappy_d
    nappy_d
    Community Member

Well that sucks.. I hate subscriptions.

Looks like it's back to a paper notepad for me soon :(

• As Greg mentioned, 1Password 7 is available with a standalone license as well. There are many advantages to a 1Password memberships, included upgrades being the most notable in this context, but the choice is always yours. :+1:

• nappy_d
    nappy_d
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

It seems you now only offer a subscription membership :S

Also what happens to my data if I stop paying a subscription fee?

• kiyoto
    kiyoto
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi bundtkate
    Do you store passwords in space? I bought the program ( standalone version )in 2016 and can't use it right now! It's fraud! sorry but your policy is wrong!

• @nappy_d

It seems you now only offer a subscription membership :sarcastic:

That is incorrect. Licenses can also be purchased (in the 1Password 7 for Windows application). They're currently $50 USD + tax but are normally $65 USD + tax.

Also what happens to my data if I stop paying a subscription fee?

If you were using a membership and your subscription lapsed your account would enter a "frozen" state. You wouldn't be able to add, edit, or fill items but you would still be able to view and export them.

If your 1Password account is frozen

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

@kiyoto

Do you store passwords in space?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question.

I bought the program ( standalone version )in 2016 and can't use it right now!

You absolutely can continue to use 1Password 4 for Windows if you'd like, but it isn't going to have integration with the latest version of Chrome. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

It's fraud! sorry but your policy is wrong!

I understand you're frustrated, but fraud is a very serious claim. 1Password licenses, like most other software licenses, are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-version basis. They never expire, so you're welcome to continue using the license you purchased for as long as it works for you, but licenses do not include upgrades. This was explained in the license agreement at the time you purchased your license. If you would like to have upgrades included membership offers that:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• kiyoto
    kiyoto
    Community Member

Hi Ben
    it doesn't work on google chrome today. tomorrow firefox. next week opera and explorer. is it correct ? Can I have to pay $ 50 each year? If you want to work with us, upgrade licenses must be cheap.

• That's, unfortunately, not something we can predict, @kiyoto. Yes, there will likely come a day when all browsers cease to work with 1Password 4, but that's not something any of us can even make a good guess at. 1Password 3 for Mac actually worked for quite a lot longer than any of us would have guessed, for example. If my memory isn't failing me (@ben would probably know better), it kept working up until sometime last year and may still work fine on some older operating systems today.

1Password 4 for Windows has also been kept up for close to 5 years now – it was released in 2014 and we made a major update in 2017 to add native messaging support so it could continue working with modern browsers. I think 5 years is a reasonable lifespan for any software, but particularly for an app that does need to integrate with so many others, like 1Password. I understand your frustration, particularly since you bought 1Password 4 on the later side, but as Ben mentioned, you still have options to save and fill with 1Password 4. You can use it and may well be able to for a long time to come.

• kiyoto
    kiyoto
    Community Member

Hi
    I do not want a new program. Update the add-on.

• I'm sorry @kiyoto but that isn't an option. 1Password 4 has been retired and won't be updated further.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.