To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Missing Master Key

Bonebell
Bonebell
Community Member

So I recently bought a new phone and was looking to set it up. When I tried to log in it asked for a master password which I'm not sure if I ever received. I know my login address along with the master password, I also have a membership if that helps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Master Key

Comments

• Saleana
    Saleana
    Community Member

Hey there Bonebell!

Congrats on the new phone. I believe that you meant to say that it asked for a Secret Key rather than a Master Password whenever you downloaded 1P on your new device.

If this is the case, you can find your Secret Key in your Emergency Kit or in 1Password on your authorized devices.

You can also find your Secret Key through the 1Password account on the web. Use a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser on the computer you used to create your account.

If you have not used 1Password anywhere besides your old phone, then please provide me with what type of phone you previously had (iPhone vs. android), so that I can further assist you.

I look forward to seeing if this helped.
    Saleana

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bonebell: Indeed, the Master Password is something you choose, which is never known to anyone but you (unless you tell them -- but be sure not to!) So it isn't something we'd have sent you. Similarly, while you do not choose the Secret Key, it is randomly generated on your device during 1Password membership signup, so we don' have that either.

Just to make sure we're on the same page with that though, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s also the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. If you purchased a specific version of the 1Password app in the past, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Anyway, let me know more about your situation and we'll go from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.