To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I would like to upgrade to a 1Password account

Options
gp99999
gp99999
Community Member

I read a post regarding a migration plan that suggests if I use my current master password when I set up an account then migration will be easy. However when following the wizard from with the app (ios) my current password is not stong enough. What is the bestway to migrate from my old version, 7.2.7 to the online system without losing my data?

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOs / iOS
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:migrating

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gp99999

You can migrate your data even if you do use a different Master Password. Instructions can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please pay special attention to the instructions regarding deleting the Primary vault once migration is successful. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• gp99999
    gp99999
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben
    I just wanted to check as Step 1 in the instructions, after signing up, says ‘use your old master password’

I assume I should follow the manual copy instructions to work around this?

• Hey @gp99999,

1Password will actually still prompt you to add your account and copy your items, even if your Master Password is different. The main reason we recommend using the same password is that you will still unlock 1Password for Mac with your old, standalone Master Password, even if you choose a different Master Password when signing up for an account. This can cause some confusion, however if you delete your Primary vault after moving everything over, then you'll be able to unlock 1Password with your new Master Password as you would expect and you should be good to go!

Let us know if you have any more questions.

This discussion has been closed.