Not able to install Safari extension after 7.2.5 update

Options
Bart S.
Bart S.
Community Member

The latest 1Password update removed the extension from Safari. When I try to use it, it provides a button to enable it in Safari's preferences but it is not available there.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bart S. - please try quit Safari, then quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Restart both and let me know how that works for you.

• rlevavy
    rlevavy
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I am having that same problem, and doing what you suggested does not seem to have fixed the problem. (I actually just downloaded 1Password and am trying to set up an account, but I can't get the Safari extension to install, and, obviously, can't download it separately.) Thanks!

• Wyzzer
    Wyzzer
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I can install the extension from the Apple Safari extension website:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/

It shows up along the top as installed, and in Safari>Preferences>Extensions it's listed, but after I Command+Q, and restart Safari, it's gone again.

I recently upgraded to Mojave, but this phenomenon was present prior to that as well.

Just tried what Lars suggested and strangely, the extension appeared for 1 second up top and then disappeared. No joy.

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204001)
    Mac App Store

MacOS Mojave 10.14

• flosofl
    flosofl
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. 7.2.5 (Agilebits Store)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Wyzzer, and @flosofl, and welcome to the forum, @rlevavy! You cannot install the older 4.7.3.90 extension into Safari 12 (which ships with Mojave) and have it work with 1Password 7.2 or later. Starting in version 7.2, we switched from the old-style .safariextz extension (which is what you can still download from the Safari Extensions Gallery), to Apple's newer Safari App Extension, which is what they switched to in Safari 12 (and forward). Because Safari 12 is the transition point, they are still (for now) allowing users to install the older-style extensions if they still have applications which use them...but that won't be continuing forever, and Apple have already said they plan to permanently shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery at some point in the not-too-distant future. So we made our switch in 7.2 - if you have an earlier version (7.1.2 or earlier), you could still use the older extension. But once you upgrade to 7.2 or later, you no longer can.

Please uninstall any copies of 4.7.3.90 extension, then restart both Safari and 1Password 7 for Mac. You'll need to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), as just cmd + Q or even File > Quit won't do it.

• Wyzzer
    Wyzzer
    Community Member
    Options

Lars thanks for the response. As I mentioned above, I completely quit 1Password 7 and quit Safari but had no luck installing the extension. I understand your point that the old extensions won’t work. Where can I find the new 1Password extension for Safari? Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wyzzer - it's part of the main app now (called "single process architecture" technically). In other words, when you install 1Password, you install the new Safari App Extension. If you can't see it in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, please (re)-start both Safari and 1Password 7, and check again. This extension cannot be downloaded separately from the main app. Let me know if that works for you.

• Bart S.
    Bart S.
    Community Member
    Options

I see it in there now after shutting down my computer for the weekend and trying again today.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bart S. - great! Sounds like you're all set, yes?

• gemhooch
    gemhooch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this thread. I had the same issue happen this morning and your suggestions weren't working for me. What finally did it was the old standby of rebooting, then looking into Safari Preferences and there it finally was in Extensions. Whew! I'll just include my info in case you get more. ;-) Thanks for your support!

Mac OS 10.14.3
    Safari 12.0.3
    1Password 7 Version 7.2.5

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gemhooch - you're welcome! Glad you were able to get things working after updating to the latest version. :)

This discussion has been closed.