Can't get TouchID to work

nonniem
nonniem
Community Member

I had to change the admin password on my MacBookPro via the terminal and after that TouchID will not work on any of my devices, MD Pro, iPad, iPhone.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX 10.14.3
Sync Type: ???
Referrer: forum-search:Won't activate TouchID

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nonniem - if Touch ID doesn't work across the board (for anything), then that's outside of the scope of what I'm able to help you with here; I'd suggest getting in contact with Apple. If you meant that Touch ID only doesn't work in 1Password, then that'll be because of how we handle Touch ID in a way that's different from virtually all other apps. One of our developers, rudy, explains a bit more in this post. Essentially, because we use the Secure Enclave Processor, something gets severed when you have to change the login keychain, and the only fix for this that we've found is to get rid of the existing keychain, and let macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will reset the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. You'l need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following if you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive first; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain. You may also want to export any items from the existing keychain that you KNOW you'll need, so you can easily import them later. Once you're set, do this:

1. Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    2. Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case anything goes truly south. Let us know how that works for you. Let us know how you get on.

• nonniem
    nonniem
    Community Member

Oops. I misspoke. Only the TouchID on my Mac is not working. So I will try to follow these instructions above. thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nonniem - sounds good; let me know how it goes for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.