Adding a second notebook to our family account

hawk713
hawk713
Community Member

I have purchased a second MacBook Air to our collection of Apple products because my wife no longer wants to share her computer when we travel. Her 2015 MacBook is running High Sierra and has both her userid and mine and we both may use 1Password from our respective accounts on this computer.

I installed the 1Password app on my NEW 2018 MacBook but can not open our family account. What steps should I follow to allow me to switch my 1P family account to my 2018 MacBook?

1Password is a great product and I am going to pay the annual fee again in May 2019.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Instructions did not work
OS Version: Mojave 10.13.3
Sync Type: Agile

Comments

• Hi @hawk713

Do you have your Emergency Kit handy? That would be the easiest way to get signed in:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you do not your credentials should be saved on a Login item for 1Password.com in your 1Password vault. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member

Ben,

I am able to login to my family account by entering all the information from the emergency kit on my notebook. But I only see 3 of my 4 vaults. My own private vault is not viewable from the web even though I have logged in using my password and am shown as the authorized user.. This is a problem. Any suggestions on how I might make my private vault visible on the notebook?

After I logged out from the web, I opened the 1Password app on the notebook computer and could not login. How do I make the 1Password app work on my notebook?

Entering the Emergency kit information into a web browser every time is painful. Help please.

I do have full access on my desktop computer and own the family account.

• @hawk713

My own private vault is not viewable from the web even though I have logged in using my password and am shown as the authorized user..

Do you have a vault named "Primary" on the desktop? Is that the one that is missing?

After I logged out from the web, I opened the 1Password app on the notebook computer and could not login. How do I make the 1Password app work on my notebook?

What difficulty are you having with logging in with the 1Password application using the same credentials that you use on the website?

Ben

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member

My problem has been solved. It was caused by 2 apple userids and not by anything associated with 1Password.

My only problem now is how may I download the helper app for Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk713 - glad to hear you solved the mystery! You definitely need to be using the same Apple ID everywhere in order for the data to be synced between devices properly. When you say "helper app," I assume you're referring to the 1Password extension for Safari (or other browsers)? If you've got Safari 12 and 1Password 7 for Mac, then the extension is now part of the main app itself. There's no need to download and install a separate extension for Safari in these circumstances. If you're using Safari 11, you'll need to install directly from the Safari Extensions Gallery as that's now the only place Apple allows extensions to be downloaded/installed from. If you're using a different browser, then you can get the proper extension from our downloads page.

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, I have downloaded the 1P extension for Firefox which I am evaluating for use.

With respect to Safari I am unable to find the 1P extension but suspect this is due to my problem with 2 apple userids. I will address this after I get rid of one of them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk713 - sounds good; let us know if you need further assistance or have questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.