Can't see password input box

Options
ramin_h
ramin_h
Community Member

I saw someone else raised this, and it was an iPad. Same thing happens on my iPhone XS. Screenshot attached (sorry for the large image).

Side note to this, why does it have to ask the password after close the app if faceID was enabled?

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ramin_h

Thanks for the additional data point. :+1:

Side note to this, why does it have to ask the password after close the app if faceID was enabled?

Face ID is not a replacement for the Master Password. There are a number of circumstances under which the Master Password may be requested in instead of Face ID:

1. The device has been restarted
    2. The timeout set in 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password
    3. Face ID was cancelled or interrupted on the previous launch of 1Password
    4. Face ID doesn't recognize your face
    5. You change the settings in the Settings app under Face ID & Passcode
    6. Face ID fails for any reason

This is a non-exhaustive list -- there may be other cases where it would be required. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ramin_h
    ramin_h
    Community Member
    Options

My point was that after force closing the app it asks for the face ID again, and that isn't one of your circumstances, which I understand is a non-exhaustive list, but still - bottom line is it's annoying.

I actually disagree and think it can be a replacement for the Master password, so my suggestion: it would be nice to have it as an option to replace the Master password. I don't like entering a massive master password when the Face ID could do the job.

• Ben
    Options

I understand your position. It isn't possible to use Face ID to encrypt data. If 1Password data is to be encrypted, which is a core part of what we offer, a password is required.

Ben

• ramin_h
    ramin_h
    Community Member
    Options

I don't want to drag this on more than it needs to, and appreciate the replies thusfar.

A solution:

• A setting/option for the user to save the master password in 1Password (like remembering the account email address)
    • FaceID unlocks 1Password, and 1Password utilises the stored master password.

I understand quite well that there are security implications (though encrypting user data isn't a trade-off), but yeah, it isn't impossible to implement, and it's giving the user the choice. Anyway, again. Just a suggestion coming from heavily using other managers.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @ramin_h. We'll continue to evaluate how we can best take advantage of features like Face ID.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.