Cannot Log Into Desktop App

Installed 1password on my desktop, then decided to use a different email address to set up a different account. I did all this yesterday, and set up all my new passwords in the app using the new login. I can log into the online portal, as well as my phone with the newer credentials. This morning when I went to log into the desktop version, my known new password is not working. I have tried closing the program, restarting the machine, to no avail. Should I uninstall and remove all the data files from my appdata folder in my Windows machine? Will it remove anything from my vaults, or are they saved in another/online location? Thanks in advance.. this is super frustrating.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I think, but can't be sure, that if you switch logging into one account from another after having logged off, you have to make sure you add the account directly so it recognises that secret key for that email account, then log into the desktop app and go to accounts>Sign into another account. So sign into your first account on your browser and add or re-add the account directly then try logging into your desktop app and you should be able to switch accounts. Of course, someone from 1Password.com can confirm that this is right, but I believe that might be what you need to do. Good luck!

• Hi guys,

@jtroxel,

Before you do anything, did you try entering the old password? Also, are you able to still log in with your new 1Password account with your web browser using https://my.1Password.com?

If no to former and yes to latter, there's no need to uninstall the app, it won't remove your 1Password database but you can rename it and sign in quickly with the web site. Here's how:

1. First, sign in to your 1Password account on https://my.1Password.com website using Chrome or Firefox
    2. Click on your account name on the top right to select Get the Apps and keep this page open.
    3. Close 1Password if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select Exit.
    4. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    5. Rename the data folder to backup-data.
    6. Open 1Password and switch to your web browser with your 1Password.com account. Scroll down to Step 2 and click on the blue button that says Already have the app? Add your account directly.
    7. Enter your master password to unlock 1Password now.
  • vrsolis
    vrsolis
    Community Member

Thank you MikeT. This process worked for me on Windows 10 Home, Firefox, and the desktop app. It just took a long time to search for these steps.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@vrsolis: We have plans to improve this process in the future, so please stay tuned. If you have other questions, feel free to raise them. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.