How to get the table view of my list of passwords as was in version 4?

Abhijit
Abhijit
Community Member

How to get the table view of my list of passwords as was in version 4? That was very useful to review, find duplicate sort etc. Everybody loves Excel view. :)

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• HI @Abhijit,
    This is not a view option included in our apps since the previous versions for Windows and Mac, which is why you're unable to locate it.
    We are aware a there are users including yourself who liked to use this view, but I will say the demand for this has not been particularly high, hence it not making it through the levels of us optimising the apps. We will see in future if there are ways to re-incorporate this layout choice but as it currently stands, we have one consistent approach for our collection of apps. Many thanks, Benji

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks for the update Benji!

Once you provide something in the software users are habitual to those views, features and functionalities. (As in my case I was using it for last 7 years) It should be very careful decision to change/remove something for better. The rational behind the change in the user experience needs to be explained or we should provide Opt-in mechanism for new/changed behaviors.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Hi @Abhijit, I completely understand, I do.
    We needed to rebuild 1Password 6 for windows completely from scratch. There is not a single line of code that made its way from 1Password 4 for windows into v6 and v7 of the Windows apps. There has been an extremely involved amount of development work needed to get us to where we are today and as part of this, we have had to make design and development decisions along the way as to what should be prioritised for development and what can be left out for the most optimal experience for most users.

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

I am not sure on the need to rebuild the software from scratch and the limitations around why the single line of code was not usable.
    For me as a user until 1Password 4 broke for Chrome due to non-support everything was working great. And I am proud of that.

Having said that I understand for some reasons the decision would have been made.

But do please review my thoughts above for future.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It was very old code, depending on old tools that didn't give us any flexibility going forward. So we're using the latest stuff from Microsoft now to allow us to have a great Windows app and make it even better in the years to come. Otherwise we wouldn't have high-res support, Windows Hello, and a ton of other stuff which wasn't available when we created the old version. We would have needed to rewrite it either when we did or in the near future, and I don't think waiting would have worked out any better. ;)

But I hear you. I've been using 1Password for Windows since the first public release, what, almost 10 years ago? So I have some attachment to that and also to some features we haven't yet been able to add to the new app. I don't see a lot of requests for a table view, but certainly we're always listening to feedback from all of our customers so only time will tell if that ends up being a top request someday. Cheers! :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty! Great feedback! Totally with you guys!!

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

And Brenty, I just noticed that I am using it from Dec 2010 too. And contributed a lot in Windows Beta.In fact for my contributions Dave Brown had sent a big "Thank You" with a very special gift which I can not mention here.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

David Brown is good people. Thanks for participating in the beta, and for allowing 1Password to help you secure your important stuff. :chuffed:

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member

<3

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

I came to this topic because (having just upgraded to the 1Password 7 for Mac subscription model) I am bummed to find that I can no longer view my data in "classic" layout (a much better use of screen real estate, not to mention avoidance of the cartooney icons) and that I now have to press Return after pressing Command+\ to fill and submit a form.

I understand that no company exists for long without keeping its primary focus on the bottom line, but the loss of functionality on top of the perpetual drain on my bank account makes a beloved vendor seem a lot less special than it used to. :(

• I've never had the opportunity to use that classic view, @DavidMBrown, but I have heard a ton about it from our early supporters. I have to admit, I spend little enough time in the main app that I could probably overlook major UI changes so I'm probably not the target audience here anyway. :wink: A consequence of growth is that our customers diversify leading to different demands on 1Password than might have been present in the early days and I'm sure that does mean that some long-loved features end up discarded in favor of something new. I think the needs of our customers as a whole have changed pretty dramatically over the years and 1Password is starting to reflect that. I can sympathize as I still miss a lot about older versions of Windows. The simple start menu list comes to mind specifically. This tile business grinds my gears and is probably the first sign I'm starting to get old. :lol:

Autosubmit was more a casualty of circumstances. Changes in Mojave would have required us to completely change how we handled submitting forms. We likely could have come up with something, but autosubmit had some significant reliability and consistency problems that we'd been wrestling with for years without much improvement, so we instead decided to rip off the band-aid and bid it farewell. It's not something that affected everyone, for sure, but if you've ever created a new Login on a site with Captcha (curse them), you've seen at least one case where it's a fair bit of trouble. I missed it at first, but these days I have actually disabled it even on Windows where it's still supported and am finding I hardly notice it.

Change is tough, no matter its source, but I hope you find that amidst these changes are things you enjoy and make 1Password better even if it takes some time to adjust. :chuffed:

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member

+1 to missing the list view. For me, it's a much easier way of dealing with things, and is now one of the reasons I won't upgrade from 1Password6 on Mac. I just find it so much easier to deal with and use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@warpspeed: Thanks for letting us know. I don't anticipate that will change given our focus on the current UI (rather than developing another that is competing), given how little use it got and how little feedback we've gotten about this since it was removed (not many even noticed); but we'll keep listening to feedback from everyone, and perhaps come up with something even better in the future that is useful to more people. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DavidMBrown: <3 :chuffed:

I used the "top view" more than most back in the day myself; but those that did have been few and far between for a long time, so we've focused on a single UI for the main 1Password app with version 7 -- partly to give more attention to 1Password mini, which, as Kate alluded, is often the only part of 1Password that people see.

Regarding the loss of autosubmit, I can definitely appreciate where those who miss it are coming from, but I think Apple has made the right call with regard to not wanting apps to send keystrokes, since that (like the code injection we used to use for browser integration...) can easily be abused; and frankly I had found myself more and more suggesting that customers disable autosubmit anyway because there are just so many cases where it negatively impacts the login process due to website designers getting "creative" with login forms. It was a cool feature when it worked, and while it lasted, but I don't expect there's any chance of it coming back. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.