Firefox autofill not working for some user/id fields

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hi,

On some sites autofill for firefox recognize and fill in the password field only, but not the user/id field as well. At the moment I saw this behavior on same banking websites only.
For example (but it is not the only one): https://www.dkb.de/banking

When I try it with Chrome instead, there is no problem.

I kindly ask you to keep an eye on it. ;-) Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Andorid 9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

For example: Also here on this forum here at agilebits to problem exist.

• peri
    edited March 2019

Hi @Philipp. I'm seeing this as well. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'll share this with our team.

• Canuckistan
    Canuckistan
    Community Member

I'm also seeing this issue, on the amazon.ca login page - it's keeping me from switching to Firefox mobile, which I'd really like to do.

• Canuckistan
    Canuckistan
    Community Member

Specifically, I'm on the stable 65.0.1 Firefox, and 1Password 7.1.2.BETA-2

• Hi @Canuckistan. On my end, Amazon has their login page split into two; one for the username and one for the password. Is this what you're seeing on yours?

• Canuckistan
    Canuckistan
    Community Member

Nope, I'm seeing a single page:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. I'm not getting that either, and I'm not sure why. We'll see if there is something we can do to improve it, but it is difficult without being able to test directly.

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member

I've just upgraded to Android Pie on my Samsung Galaxy S8.
    I'm seeing the same issue of 1Password Autofill pop-up not coming up with Firefox on Amazon.com login page (single login page).

On Bankofamerica.com with Firefox, the Autofill pop-up does not come up for the Online ID field, but it does come up for the passcode field. It's just as the OP has mentioned about Autofill not working for some fields on some banking websites. When switching to Chrome, both fields work fine, again as the OP has mentioned.

With Chase.com, Autofill did come up fine with Firefox. Autofill came up fine too with PayPal.com on Firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@johnny808: What happens if you tap and hold in the field? Maybe because of the way they're coded Firefox doesn't recognize some of these fields as part of a login form.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Dear lovely Agilebits Team,
    Any plan to get the bug solved? :-)

• @Philipp we're definitely looking at improving Autofill in this area... and not just because you asked so nicely, although that certainly doesn't hurt! ;)

The reason that you're seeing different behaviour between Chrome and Firefox is because the underlying mechanisms for detecting login fields are different. For Chrome, it's our Accessibility service that is handling the detection and filling, whereas for Firefox it's Autofill. These two services use different logic to detect the login fields, which in turn yields the different results you've noted above.

We're aiming to unify the two approaches so that the experience is as consistent as possible across both. Although I can't provide a timeline for those changes, I am looking forward to sharing them with you as they are ready.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi, in the meantime should Firefox Autofill work just like for Chrome? Or are there known differences? And in the first case, do you need examples for not working websites?

• Hi @Philipp. Autofill is supported in Firefox, while Accessibility is supported in Chrome, so they won't work exactly the same way, but they should both work in most cases. Are you having trouble filling in any particular apps in either browser in particular?

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

I noticed this as well with several apps that use a webview, any chance you guys are all on Android 10? On 10, Google is once again using the Android WebView instead of your installed Google Chrome for WebViews, might be a problem with that.

What I noticed is that autofill via 1Password pops up when I tap into the Password field but not when I tap into the Username field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. Maybe it could be related to the webview change on Android 10... I should be able to get my hands on an Android 9 device to compare.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

I had a useful contact with your email support in the meantime. I learnd old Firefox has not well implemented Autofill. And it seams, because Mozilla has the new Firefox Preview on start, Mozilla will not work on that anymore. That a pity because new Firefox doesn't support add ons and some other good features anymore.

• @Philipp Autofill should indeed be working in both Firefox and Firefox Preview, and should soon be working in Chrome. Are you using Firefox Preview Nightly, by chance?

This discussion has been closed.