Sign in says my master password is wrong.

Harry Seldon
Harry Seldon
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years on all my Mac devices. 1 and 1/2 years ago I purchased a family account, but never got around to setting it up and then forgot about it. It renewed in October but I still didn't use it. Today I finally am trying to set it up for my wife so I tried to log in to my account on your website. I enter my email, Secret Key, and then the master password I use on my personal account. Since I never set up the family account, I have no master password for it. But the sign in fails with the error that either the email, secret key or password is wrong.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cant sign in

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hi @Harry Seldon! Welcome to the forum!

Since I never set up the family account, I have no master password for it.

When you create a 1Password account, you must choose a Master Password during the process, or else the account will not create at all. Did you download your Emergency Kit and write your Master Password in it when you signed up perhaps? That will allow you to login.

I enter my email, Secret Key, and then the master password I use on my personal account.

A 1Password account doesn't necessarily use the same Master Password as your 1Password app, if you chose a different one during signup. From what you are saying, it sounds like you might have chosen a different Master Password for your 1Password account. We have a tutorial that gives you some tips on how to try to remember your Master Password, so I also recommend going through those instructions.

Please let me know how it goes!

• Harry Seldon
    Harry Seldon
    Community Member

Hi-

I do have the Emergency Kit pdf on my computer (that's how I know my secret key), but I am almost certain that I never set up the family account. You must understand that I already owned a personal copy of 1Password so I had no need to set up the family account. Since it was almost 2 years ago I can't remember the exact details, but I am guessing I purchased the family account on your website and then didn't bother to set it up.

Help! I have been paying for something that I have never used and now when I want to use it I can't.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

@Harry Seldon

I'm going to send you an email so we can discuss the details. Being that this is a public forum we're unable to look up the details of anyone's account or share those details here.

Be in touch soon.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: BPE-95499-921

• Harry Seldon
    Harry Seldon
    Community Member

Cool. I await your email.

• Now that we've got a dialogue going by email I'm going to close this up. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.