Can two family members access their accounts on a single Mac login account

macbrass
macbrass
Community Member

I've been using the standalone client for many years. Considering going to the family plan so my wife can use 1Password on her iPad and computer. The issue is we both use the same login account on one of our Macs. Can we add both our 1Password accounts to that configuration so that when she wants to access her passwords she opens 1Password with her ID and account and vice versa for me? Basically the question is can we use two 1Password accounts on a single MacOS login account.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Can we add both our 1Password accounts to that configuration so that when she wants to access her passwords she opens 1Password with her ID and account and vice versa for me?

Yes and no. You can add 2 accounts to the 1Password and that works without a problem. The only limitation is that you unlock the App with the first account you add and then both accounts start syncing. It is not possible to just "switch" accounts on the fly.

• Hi @macbrass

It is not possible to sign in to multiple accounts within 1Password Families from the same macOS user account using 1Password for Mac. As I see it, there are a few different options:

1. You could use separate macOS user accounts [this is the recommended solution]
    2. You could share a 1Password account
    3. One of you could use 1Password for Mac, and the other could use the 1Password.com web interface to retrieve your passwords

Does that help?

Ben

• macbrass
    macbrass
    Community Member

Yes, that does help. Let me ask a followup. Can my wife create a vault that she shares with me and can be accessed from my account in that single macOS account? Not worried about her having my master password so much as making it easy for her to access the few entries she might need in that situation.

• @macbrass

If your wife is going to have your Master Password I'm not sure I understand the purpose of having separate accounts (see point #2 above). That said, yes, a vault could be created that is accessible from both of your 1Password accounts. When your wife is on the shared computer that is signed into your 1Password account, if she knows your Master Password, she could unlock 1Password and access that data.

Ben

• macbrass
    macbrass
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I do take your point about why needing a family plan if she has my Master Password. Lets just say there are some "human/technology interface issues" that are actually involved in that. :)

• Fair enough. ;)

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

My wife and I share a Mac and I am trying to add her account to the Mac app but 1Password is not letting me. It thinks I am adding her account to mine. I want to be able to sign out and have the ability for her to sign into the app when she is working on the Mac. We use a single login to login into the Mac. How do I do this? Separate logins to the Mac is not preferred. Thanks!

Here is the error message:
    A member from FirstName LastName has already been added to 1Password.
    You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

This looks similar to the question I posed here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104007/adding-a-second-account-in-the-desktop-app-families

I have a follow-up question about your option 3 mentioned above. If I use this option, I am under the impression that autofill doesn't work for the person using the web interface. Correct?

• Hi @thanirs,

That is correct. Only the person using 1Password for Mac would have the ability to use the browser extension. Separate macOS accounts is still the recommended solution here. macOS has built-in multi-user support exactly for this reason. :)

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. I went ahead and created an account for her. With fast user switching it seems to work OK thus far.

• Great! Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• TomOdo
    TomOdo
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Hi,
    just a comment as I was trying to install 1password7 (V 7.3.2) on the same Mac onto the Mac user account of my wife. I ran into problems by installing 1password7 on her account as I was not able to use her login password for 1password (error "couldn't get authentication token"). Actually I had to use my own personal 1password login within her Mac account!
    Finally I found out that the issue was caused as my personal Mac account was still running in parallel (with an 1password instance running).
    By rebooting the Mac and using only the account of my wife I was able to resolve that issue and could use her original 1password password.

Summary: Close all other Mac personal accounts when installing another family 1password in his/her Mac account.

@agilebits: Are you sure that the sandboxing on a Mac works during installation?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @TomOdo! I'm sorry for the trouble.

Summary: Close all other Mac personal accounts when installing another family 1password in his/her Mac account.

As far as I know, that shouldn't be required as a rule, but because I'm not entirely certain what might have occurred here, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#REN-45394-774]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @TomOdo only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: REN-45394-774

This discussion has been closed.