Copy button in mini has no style change on mouseover or on click

nils_enevoldsen
nils_enevoldsen
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

It's hard to see if my cursor is over the text-only "copy" button, because the button does not change styles when it is moused over, and the borders are invisible. It also does not change style on click.

1Password Version: 7.3.BETA-3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• In this case the entire row is actionable as "Copy". Obviously I already know the answer, but I'm going to ask the question anyhow 😄: This wasn't clear when you used it?

In the current item detail in the main app you have to mouse over the text you want to copy and then click to copy it. Our change here was to make this action more clear and give it a much bigger hit target.

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

I did not realize this! Yowza.

I think my mistaken expectation was reinforced by a behavior that was present earlier: the text-selection cursor that appeared when mousing over the text in the field. I didn't expect a text-selection cursor to work as a button-clicking cursor. If I saw these buttons with fresh eyes, it's possible that I would have understood the function.

• Ah, I can totally see how that would cause confusion. I'm going to consider this one resolved, then. 🙂

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

I realized there is something that still undermines the "entire row is actionable as Copy" expectation. Clicking the dropdown arrow does not Copy, even though the row is highlighted when the cursor is over the dropdown arrow. The dropdown arrow has no cursor-style change, no style change on mouseover, and no visible boundary.

I think I'm subliminally thinking, "clicking on the middle of the row won't perform an action, because there's no indication of whether that would be a Copy action or a Dropdown action, so it must be neither."

If the visual cues aligned with behavior, I would expect the Copy-action area to be highlighted distinctly from the Dropdown-action area, like this crude mockup.

• Hey Nils, I just realized that I hadn’t replied here yet. Your post sparked a whole bunch of internal conversations and you should see something better coming soon. Cheers man!

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

I'll be curious to see what you came up with! Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the feedback! :) :+1:

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

@MrRooni I never followed up on this: I am delighted by the new behavior. Thanks for thinking it through! :love:

• Thanks Nils, I'm glad you like it!

This discussion has been closed.