Request: Additional Sync Options For Android

MattHillUK
MattHillUK
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Android

Yesterday Dropbox added a three device limit for anyone who is not subscribed to a Dropbox plan: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18265574/dropbox-3-device-limit-free-accounts-plus-professional

This means the only sync option on Android which allows you to retain full control of your data is now rather limited for people who have a few devices. In comparison the iOS app offers iCloud and even a WLAN server option to sync data, in addition to Dropbox.

Can we have another alternative for Android such as Google Drive or OneDrive? or even have the WLAN option on Windows and Android devices?

Both Google Drive and OneDrive are multi platform (Windows, OSX, Android and iOS) so would be beneficial to everyone, regardless of what ecosystem they currently use.

View 1Password Approved Answer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @MattHillUK

This is actually something that has been asked some times now (you can Google it: 1Password Google Drive sync).

From what I've seen in many of those posts, short answer is there are no plans to make it available (although you technically still can make it work on Windows and macOS).

If I'm honest, though, I personally prefer the convenience of a 1Password membership. More secure, fast and seamless. But it's just me. I understand how may not be the case for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@deepdvd: We're not considering building support for additional 3rd party services at this time. A 1Password membership works on all your compatible devices. There is no limit. You can read about the many other benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

And if you'll reach out to support+billing@1password.com we'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This means the only sync option on Android which allows you to retain full control of your data is now rather limited for people who have a few devices. In comparison the iOS app offers iCloud and even a WLAN server option to sync data, in addition to Dropbox.

@MattHillUK: That's actually not true. You're probably aware that your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device before it is sync'd to Dropbox, only the encrypted data is sent, and the "keys" to decrypt it are not transmitted. That's also the case using any other sync option, including a 1Password membership -- the difference being that 1Password accounts have the added protection of the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key, and of course that it's the most seamless way to use 1Password, with no limit on the number of devices to can use with your account. If you'd like to make the transition, shoot us an email at support+billing@1password.com so we can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.