where do I buy the standalone license for iPassword v7 for Mac?

Where do I go to buy a standalone license for 1Password7 for Mac?

Been looking for ages and have not found it yet, getting quite annoyed it is so difficult to find

D

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:license

Comments

• Inside the app, but it's only available in the version you download from 1password.com, not the MacAppstore version. Underneath the prompt for the subscription trial there is a link "looking for a license? we have those too" or something similar.
    I assume you've done your research and still prefer the old diy approach for syncing etc., since syncing and some other feature are far superior in the subscription in my opinion (and you get all platforms included).

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @itisilefunk!

@peacekeeper is correct :) If you download 1Password 7 from our website, you will be prompted to purchase a license. The Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships.

However I would strongly advise you to choose a 1Password memberships. It has been a far more popular choice and from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with (when it comes to things like managing backups, syncing, multi-device management etc.). You also don't need to think about managing and applying licenses, or upgrading them ;)

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on... The list goes on and on.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Hi "ag_ana",

"from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with"

Well here is my feedback do you sales talk: I do prefer standalone licenses. I do not like subscriptions at all. The standalone license version for 1Password 7 is hard to find and very unclear. That is the reason I still haven't upgraded from version 6.

Where exactly can I find the license terms for the standalone version of 1Password 7? On how many computers I am allowed to install it?

Thanks

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@YhDWnUCcZgUn

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! Indeed, we offer both options so we can make everyone happy, both the people who prefer a subscription, and those who prefer a standalone license :)

A standalone license is licensed per-user per-platform, so you can use it on every Mac you own. If you want to use 1Password on multiple platforms with a standalone license (for example on Windows, in addition to Mac), the other platforms require a separate purchase.

You can find this in our official blog announcement when we released 1Password 7 last year. If you scroll down to the "How do I get it?" section, you will see the terms for the standalone license option.

I hope this helps!

• Hi ag_ana,

thank you for your quick reply. Yes this information helps a lot! I even found it on page 8 of the blog. Which reminds me of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy":

“But the plans were on display…”
    “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
    “That’s the display department.”
    “With a flashlight.”
    “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
    “So had the stairs.”
    “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
    “Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Thanks,
    YhDWnUCcZgUn

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Admittedly we're not advertising standalone licensing any longer, and aren't really directing people there unless they specifically ask for it. The option is available right on the welcome screen of 1Password 7 for Mac though, for those who do want it. That said I'd strongly encourage you to take another look at membership. It is the way forward, and is going to provide the best experience.

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@YhDWnUCcZgUn: Actually, it's pretty easy to install the app and click the button to purchase the license. ;) But yeah, we generally recommend 1Password memberships since they way that works is what most people expect and want. Cheers! :)

• the membership/subscription model still does not have iCloud syncing ?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@oliviazsun - I'm not sure what you mean? 1password.com accounts (the "membership/subscription model") syncs via the 1password.com servers, not Dropbox or iCloud or anything else. That's indeed the main point of 1password.com accounts: we act as your data host and sync provider.

• "That's indeed the main point of 1password.com accounts: we act as your data host and sync provider." - and that is the problem. I don't want my vault online, and I want to sync Mac to iPhone only over local wifi to keep my data as local as possible. After the numerous instances of losing my personal information by banks, the government, and businesses, this is the more critical aspect of security that I can control. I think the subscription model with data hosted and synced over the internet is an unacceptable exchange of security for convenience.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@jxc100, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! Indeed, we offer both options so we can make everyone happy. It comes down to personal preference and trust. If it makes you feel better and more secure to use the standalone license, we are happy to give you that option.

However, when using 1password.com accounts, data is encrypted on your device, and only ever leaves it in encrypted form. It's encrypted end-to-end. If someone somehow gets a hold of your 1Password data, you are safe because the data is encrypted and your Master Password is never shared with us. Your Secret Key also makes your encryption stronger than just sharing your information via your local WiFi. But as I said, we are happy to have you here no matter how you decide to use 1Password :)

• Thanks for your response. I understand the encryption effectively stays with me even as the data are hosted on AgileBits' serves, but only until some fatal flaw is discovered or some technology (quantum computers?) effectively cracks the vaults. Perhaps that's paranoid, and as you say it's a choice, but statements like this from AgileBits folk give concern about how long the standalone option will remain available: "That said I'd strongly encourage you to take another look at membership. It is the way forward, and is going to provide the best experience." (My emphasis). Please keep standalone 1Password available as a choice! I have enjoyed using it since v3 and now buy it for family members (more expensive than the subscription, I know, but that's what I prefer).

• how long the standalone option will remain available

Even if that should happen you can still use the subscription to license the apps and use wifi sync to sync your standalone offline vaults.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yeah. To be fair, we don't recommend that, but it is possible. In any event, the OP's question has been answered. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.