Create local vault on iphone?

reck
reck
Community Member

Hi I’ve got a subscription at the moment so all my vaults are synced across all devices. I want to create a vault that just stays on my iPhone, how do I do this?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reck!

This is doable, however I don't recommend you to do it unless you really really want it. The app can support both local ("standalone") vaults and 1Password membership subscription accounts. If you setup the app initially with only an account, you won't have any local vaults. But you can create one, and either sync that yourself or not at all.

However, can you please tell me why are you trying to do this? A 1Password Membership includes a lot of convenience, like not having to deal with sync configuration, sharing, etc., but you're foregoing those benefits and important things like automatic offsite backup and item history by not using it for this specific vault. This means that you would have to manage this vault manually from A to Z.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! ;)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

Great could you please explain how I go about creating a standalone vault then please?

I want to store some info that doesn’t sync other devices/servers.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@reck

In 1Password for iOS, you can go to Settings > Vaults > Enable Standalone Vaults.

The vault that will be created will be called Primary, and won't sync anywhere by default. If you plan to use it to store sensitive data, please make sure you keep manual backups then!

I hope this helps :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. Can I call the local vault something other than “Primary” and can I create more than one local vault?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

Not in 1Password for iOS, @reck. The name is pre-determined as "Primary" and only one local (non-synced) vault is supported. Please note that with a Primary vault enabled 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of that vault, and not your 1Password.com account. This is one of the reasons we do not recommend such a configuration.

It looks like we have a conversation going by email as well, so to avoid duplicating efforts let's continue there please.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.