Individual apple subscription (by mistake) to family account

gigihicks
gigihicks
Community Member

I recently created a family account subscription through website. I invited my husband and he created his account. However, when he downloaded the app on his phone he mistakenly selected an iTunes individual subscription. He has deleted subscription on his end, reloaded app and then tried to attempt to tie into family account but no luck. I have found other forum posts similar to our situation. The support team responded in those cases that it requires that they reach out because critical steps can only be done on the 1password end. Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1password family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gigihicks! Welcome to the forum! :)

I’m sorry for the trouble. In this case your husband did the right thing deleting the subscription if you already activated a subscription through the website.

Can you please let me know what happens exactly when your husband tries to login to the 1Password app with his 1Password Families account? Does he get an error message perhaps?

Looking forward to hearing back from you ;)

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

Thanks. Let me Recap a bit. He has an account created from my family invite. His 1password website login gets him into his standalone account but is not linked to family. Both his app on his chrome book and iphone allow him to log onto his standalone account but neither is linked to any family vault data. He is not experiencing any login error messages.

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

Also am I somehow able to set a notification to get auto email when a support response has posted?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gigihicks: Just to clarify, if they used the invitation, they would have an account as part of the family membership now. It sounds like they signed up for an individual membership separately from that. The only way to join the family membership is to use the link in the invitation email to create the account. Can you have them do that? You can always resend it.

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

My husband did accept my original family invite and used the 1password app link provided in his welcome e-mail. In the process of "get the app" he created a standalone subscription. There was no other choice available to him. The app was not connected to the family account even though he used the invite link and key. We have since deleted the app subscription in iTunes. He is showing as a user on the family account with his e-mail so the system will not let us re-invite him. So now we'd like to know if we should delete him as a "user", no data is in his private vault. Maybe this will free us up for another clean invite attempt. Please advise. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gigihicks: Sorry for not being clearer. If you go to Invitations on the right side when signed into your account on 1Password.com in your browser, you can Resend it or cancel it from there.

It sounds like you may have already done this, but make sure you cancel any unwanted subscriptions through Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

We do not have access to their systems to do that for you.

Finally, when they receive the new invitation, they just need to sign up to join your family plan by following the link there, and then use the "sign in" option to add their new (family plan) 1Password account there when setting up the app.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

Hello. I had previously canceled the subscription through iTunes. But here is the problem - because it was a 1-mo free trial offer, even though I have successfully canceled subscription on iTunes platform (and also per 1Password) this subscription remains active on iTunes through the full life of the free trial. So technically, the individual app will not expire until April 12, 2019. I confirmed this situation through an apple advisor chat session. So now I turn to 1Password for help. To be clear, 1Password invitation to my husband returns error message because his e-mail is already tied to active iTunes subscription. Can you think of another option or do we just have to wait until mid-April to "let" iTunes subscription expire?

• @gigihicks

We can remove Apple from the equation entirely if you'd like. That would be the best we could offer here. We don't have any access to or control over their billing systems. If you'd like to proceed with that please reach out to our billing team at support+billing@1password.com and in your email include:

1) Your forum username: gigihicks
    2) A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/102374/
    3) Indication that it is your intention to switch to direct billing, instead of billing through Apple.

Thanks!

Ben

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

In reviewing your suggestion, I am going to recap my situation and then pose a question to you to make certain that this is the appropriate path.

I already have a valid family account subscription established with 1password direct billing. This is copied from my account - "Your subscription is active.You are on the Families Plan, billed annually on May 11. You still have 54 days remaining in your free trial before you will be charged." I have invited my daughter and she has accepted and is able to see family vault on her app so she is all good and plugged into family account. The problem is with my husband. He created his account (received key). I invited him. He used the invite e-mail link for "get the app". And in doing so was led to the individual iTunes subscription 1-mo free trial option. He erroneously selected that and now we are in this snag. Again we successfully deleted the iTunes subscription but the remaining free trial period still keeps it active and thus I am unable to offer him an invite from family account.

In summary, if we switch his individual iTunes subscription from apple billing to 1Password billing will that then make it possible for me to invite him into the family account and have in the end only one family account subscription? Thank you so much for time and patience.

• Thank you for clarifying the situation @gigihicks. In light of this: no, I don't think switching to direct billing is necessarily going to help. What I'm now confused about is this:

1Password invitation to my husband returns error message because his e-mail is already tied to active iTunes subscription

That shouldn't be the case. 1Password Families accounts are totally separate from any individual memberships. Having an individual membership with an Apple subscription does not preclude one from being invited to and joining a 1Password Families membership. Could you please post the exact text of the error message, or better yet, a screenshot?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Please let me know.

Ben

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

Thanks again for reviewing my situation. When I invite him here is the error message - "A member with this email address already exists."

• @gigihicks

That error indicates he already has created an account within your 1Password Families membership. It wouldn't have any bearing on the fact that he may or may not have a separate individual membership billed through Apple. If you can please have him email in to us at support+forum@1password.com from the email address associated with his 1Password account we can help him directly. Please have him include a link to this forum thread in his email message:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/102374/

From there we'll be able to look up exactly what accounts he has created and will be able to better assist.

Thanks.

Ben

• gigihicks
    gigihicks
    Community Member

Great he will reach out to that support e-mail with the needed info and talk specifics. Thanks again

• Excellent. We'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.