Enable Filling of Random Characters

I know this has been discussed several times and that 1Password's position is that it's not secure etc, however you really need to rethink your position.

I live in the UK. Just about every website here asks you for random characters of your password, not the entire password. 1Password doesn't provide for that which renders it pretty much useless for anyone living in the UK.

Check it out for yourselves: pick any UK bank or credit card company - they all require random characters. See for example: barclaycard.co.uk, evanquis.com, tsb.co.uk, santander.co.uk, metrobankonline.co.uk.

1Password is a wonderful product which I enjoy using on a daily basis. Been a customer now for roughly 3 years, after a good 6-7 years with LastPass. The features, UI and support are second to none. It's time for you to be the pioneers for this feature and actually develop it and show all other password managers that it is possible - instead of finding excuses for not doing it. Because let's face it - they're just excuses. And it's not as if I'm asking for a niche feature - it is something nearly every website in the UK requires - how can you be called a password manager if you cannot provide an actual password-filling feature required by thousands of websites.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:random characters

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm also in the UK, and find your post valuable but decidedly over the top. My bank does require random characters from my password. But my credit card does not. A few other sites require characters from a "memorable word" (strictly speaking, this is not the same as the password) but most do not.

At least on the Mac (I've no experience with Windows, and not so much with iOS or Android) it's easy enough, using the Large Type option (hover over the password, click the down arrow, and choose Large Type) to see the password with each character numbered, and then you can fill in manually. Not as neat as one would wish but a very long way from "pretty near useless".

• undistinguished
    undistinguished
    Community Member

Well, I've got a business account with 1Password as well. I login to the business bank account multiple times a day. I obviously use the Large Type feature which is helpful but the idea of a password manager is to fill the passwords discreetly - not tell me in large letters on the screen what that password is (security problem) and having me fill it in by myself 25 times a day (efficiency problem).

Also, as you mention, many websites require characters from a memorable word or number, which even though isn't technically the same thing as a password - it is the same idea. Then there are the websites which require both.

If I sound passionate about this - it's because I am. I am literally fed up with filling in random characters of passwords, memorable words, numbers, cities, you name it, all day long. Maybe my anger should be directed at all the banks and other companies who decided that this stupid idea was a good one to begin with, but I can't fight the system, and 1Password is a password manager so it should do it's job.

I don't know which credit cards you use, but nearly every single finance website I use (bank accounts, credit cards, or other finance sites such as Credit Expert from Experian but not, admittedly Equifax) require random characters form your password, word, number or a combination of the above.

See below some examples and you get the idea.

Santander:

TSB:

Barclaycard stage 1:

Barclaycard stage 2:

Barclaycard stage 3:

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @undistinguished.

Thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed feature request. We ultimately want to be able to fill these. Having said that, your screenshots only emphasize the fact that there are numerous ways of implementing the "random character" form. Solution to this must be holistic, because we can't possibly cover all of the different permutations. Coming up with such a solution is not impossible, but it's not a trivial matter either.

Filling random characters is on our list of things to look into, but I can't tell you exactly when and if we'll be able to make it work.

• undistinguished
    undistinguished
    Community Member

Thank you ag_sebastian for taking this seriously. My main goal here is to raise awareness about a big problem that looks like it's not going away anytime soon.

While I'm not a developer, I still am of the opinion that a bit of will here can go a long way. So please do push this up the top of your to do list.

Thanks.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@undistinguished Even though I wish the random character business would disappear in a puff of smoke, you're right; it won't go away in the near future. We're passionate about filling, and want 1Password to eventually be able to fill on virtually any site. Baby steps, though. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.