To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Signing in on a public computer - can't get around downloading "emergency kit"

Options
MStyle
MStyle
Community Member

I signed in to 1password.com from a public computer today. I checked "this is a public computer", and I entered my email address, account key, and password. Once logged in, I got a pop up window that said "Download your Emergency Kit". This window is persistent (meaning I can't do anything else until I make it go away), and it displays in large letters the account key that I already just entered in order to log in. There is no "Cancel" or "X" to close that pop-up - if I want to do anything at all, the only option is to click Download, which saves my account key as a PDF file. On a public computer. So now I have to make sure I delete this downloaded PDF from this public computer in a way that the next person using this public computer will not be able to recover and read it.

I would like to suggest that at the very least when you get the "Save your emergency kit" pop-up, you also get the option to cancel out of it. Why force the users to do something they don't want to do? Also, if I didn't know my account key, I wouldn't be able to log in to my account in the first place, so what is the point of this pop-up? And finally, if you feel the users must be forced to download their Emergency Kit PDF, perhaps don't do that on public computers at least.

By the way, I am very happy with 1Password otherwise. This just seems to be an odd choice that I wanted to let you know about, and see what you think.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sign in on a public computer

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi @MStyle

I'm sorry for the trouble. Having a copy of the Emergency Kit is critical (ideally a printed copy), but we didn't consider that some folks would run into this while using a public computer. We strongly recommend against using public computers at all, but that is a separate subject.

if you feel the users must be forced to download their Emergency Kit PDF, perhaps don't do that on public computers at least.

This is likely the direction we'll go with this. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

ref: b5/b5#5629

This discussion has been closed.