How do I edit/add categories?

I just bought a family membership and imported my previous 1 Password data. I can see all the categories, but it wont allow me to add/edit or move items to categories. This is happening both on the browser and the desktop.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:categories

Comments

• Hi @rohitseth

Thanks for taking the time to write in. It sounds like you're coming from an earlier version of 1Password... is that correct?

How do I edit/add categories?

Categories are pre-defined and are not customizable. We receive a fair number of requests for various categories... to the point that the list of categories would be incredibly long if we were to implement them all. We're evaluating how to best balance that, and customizable categories is one of the options we're looking at. In the mean time, we typically recommend making use of the Secure Notes category and tags:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

or move items to categories

Again this isn't something that is possible with 1Password. Because each category has different required fields it isn't possible to move items from one category to another or change the category of an item. The problem would be in handling things like moving a Secure Note (which has no required fields) to the Login category (which requires a username, password, and website). I'm not sure how we could gracefully make that transition. My recommendation here would be to create a new item in the desired category and copy & paste any pertinent details from the existing item to the new one, then delete the existing one.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• rohitseth
    rohitseth
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. Personally, I see this as a step backward as I was able to organize all my information within the categories that worked for me. Now I suppose I'll have to use tags.

Another question... Eg: Drivers License. Is there a way I can upload an image of the License to the record? I did notice that 1Password offers 1 GB of storage. I'm assuming that is for these kinds of uploads.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I follow. We haven't changed categories. It's always worked the way Ben described. Can you clarify?

And indeed, you can upload files to your 1Password membership account as Documents. Just create a new Document item, or even add multiple files as Documents at once from the "+ New Item" menu. :)

This discussion has been closed.