Transitioning from a single user to family account

pk2023
pk2023
Community Member

I've been reading a bunch to make sure I understand all the ramifications of making a switch and have a few last questions.

I'm currently using 6.8.9 (5-person license) on Mojave.

1) My in-law invited me into his family. I can see his shared vault. When he did that, I believe it set up a 1password.com account for me under the email address he sent it to AND with the master password that it asked me to type in. To confirm, I now have a 1password account, is that correct?

2) I'm about to setup my immediate family with a family account. Again, I'm currently using a single user (5-person) license. When I create the family account, do I create another 1password account or do I use the same email address as in #1 above so that when I go to 1password.com, it will ask me which account I want to login to?

3) It seems with the family account, it gives me a web version of 1password. Is that correct? I have a family member that can't install the app on her computer but if there is a web version, then it's not a problem. (She just needs to see info - she won't use an app on her computer. She'll only use 1password on her phone.

4) On a Mac, what is the minimum version of 1Password that will work with a family plan?

5) If I set up my family plan shared vault to be on iCloud, does that mean that the rest of the family needs to have an iCloud account? The same goes with dropbox.

Thanks,

Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @paulkondo

I've been reading a bunch to make sure I understand all the ramifications of making a switch and have a few last questions.

Certainly. I'd be happy to help.

1) My in-law invited me into his family. I can see his shared vault. When he did that, I believe it set up a 1password.com account for me under the email address he sent it to AND with the master password that it asked me to type in. To confirm, I now have a 1password account, is that correct?

Because this is a public forum we're unable to provide details about anyone's account here (or even confirm/deny existence), but what I can say is if you look in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, and one is listed, then you have one. :) Also, if you're able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ then you have an account.

2) I'm about to setup my immediate family with a family account. Again, I'm currently using a single user (5-person) license. When I create the family account, do I create another 1password account or do I use the same email address as in #1 above so that when I go to 1password.com, it will ask me which account I want to login to?

You would need to create a new 1Password Families membership, here:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

But you can use the same email address. In this case the Secret Key is what differentiates the accounts from each other.

3) It seems with the family account, it gives me a web version of 1password. Is that correct? I have a family member that can't install the app on her computer but if there is a web version, then it's not a problem. (She just needs to see info - she won't use an app on her computer. She'll only use 1password on her phone.

There is a web interface for 1Password membership which would allow for viewing and editing items. That said the native apps are certainly going to provide a more full experience. What is the restriction preventing her from installing 1Password on her computer? Is she able to install browser extensions?

4) On a Mac, what is the minimum version of 1Password that will work with a family plan?

1Password 6.6 for Mac or later is the minimum requirement, though that will change in the future. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. Fortunately 1Password membership makes part of that easier in that it includes access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices -- there are no separate licensing or upgrade fees when using a membership.

5) If I set up my family plan shared vault to be on iCloud, does that mean that the rest of the family needs to have an iCloud account? The same goes with dropbox.

1Password membership is a first party service. It doesn't use iCloud or Dropbox. Everything, including sync, is handled by 1Password. You can read more about what membership includes here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben.

After signing up, it didn't ask me to migrate my data. So I went into the Mac app and highlighted all my items and then manually moved them to the new 1password vault. I ran into an issue. I'm still looking into it but it seems that I had an entry with attachments and when I moved things, any attachments are listed as separate items when I look at the All Items tab. Those attachments are where they were previously but also listed separately.

Was that supposed to happen?

btw, after signing up for the new account, I upgraded to version 7 app on my computer.

Paul

• @paulkondo

btw, after signing up for the new account, I upgraded to version 7 app on my computer.

Great!

any attachments are listed as separate items when I look at the All Items tab.

That's correct, yes. 1Password membership vaults use Documents, instead of attachments. For most cases they serve the same purpose, but there are two main advantages with Documents:

1. Documents can be created completely independently of any other 1Password item. This means, for example, if I want to add a PDF of my mortgage agreement to 1Password I don't have to create an extraneous item in another category first to attach that PDF to. It can go directly in the Documents category. With attachments I probably would've created a Secure Note item and then attached the mortgage agreement to that.
    2. One Document item can be linked to / from any number of other items in 1Password. With attachments it was a 1:1 relationship, so if you wanted to attach one document to multiple 1Password items you had to have multiple copies of that document in 1Password. If that document ever needed to be updated you'd have to do so in each spot.

So, for someone used to the attachment system, it may create a bit of "clutter," but the advantage is adding a fair bit of flexibility.

Does that make sense?

Ben

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

Makes sense. Will take me a little while to get used to but all good. Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set for now, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

So another minor issue.

I always use the CMD-\ shortcut. In the past, it would fill in the un/pw and then submit the form. Now, it's making me hit the submit button. Is this a change? I rebooted my machine completely hoping that would make it work but no luck.

• @paulkondo

1Password no longer automatically submits forms. You can submit the form after filling by pressing the return/enter key on your keyboard or by clicking on the submit / login button.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ben

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

That's a big bummer. When did that go into effect?

• That's a big bummer. When did that go into effect?

Roughly the same time macOS Mojave was released.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.