To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Auto Lock in browser setting

ckp
ckp
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Memberships

Using 1p cloud (not stand alone)
I want to set the time for any duration I wish, or at least until next computer boot up and login, It should be my choice. I hate to be bothered with re-entering my master password before I'm ready to re-enter it. It disrupts me, and it always seems to happen when I'm in a hurry to use 1p. I see the maximum auto lock duration is 300 minutes. I don't want it to auto lock at all if I leave my computer running and logged in. With stand alone on my Mac I was at least able to use my fingerprint when this happened, but even that was annoying (although i think stand alone gave me options to not auto lock if i wanted). If my browser is closed, fine, go ahead and have me enter my master password the next time I launch the browser. But give me the choice to stay logged in as long as I want if my browser is still running. I can surely understand that having a max 300 minute auto lock can be good in some situations, and it's good to have the option to use it, but there are other times when you don't want it interrupting you.
Also the auto lock setting says it will auto lock after x minutes of IDLE time that you have set. It auto locks on me multiple times per day with 300 minutes set and I have not been idle even close to that amount of time. This is on my Macbook Pro Mojave. I believe it was also the case on my Win 10 but I won't guarantee that one yet. But on my Mac for sure that isn't working. If it were working on my Mac, then this post would be less of an issue for me.
On my Macbook, I am using a usb keyboard and mouse and not the trackpad/keyboard on the laptop in case that matters at all. And on my Win 10 desktop computer (not laptop), it is also a usb mouse and keyboard that I use.
I'm on the 30 day trial, so I wanted to bring this up since it is a major annoyance for me.
Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@ckp: We don't offer an option to avoid needing to enter the Master Password at all, and never will, as that's the whole point of 1Password: the Master Password is needed to decrypt the data, and we're not going to write it to disk (which is what would need to happen for it to be saved indefinitely).

But it sounds like you just need to adjust your settings in 1Password Preferences > Security to better suit your usage. I can't tell you what the right combination to you might be, but you can easily experiment with it to find your "sweet spot". :)

I'm not sure I understand your comment about "stand alone" though, as it's literally the same app, with the same settings, whether you purchased a license or have a 1Password membership subscription. Can you elaborate?

But 300 minutes is a full 5 hours. We don't have plans to increase that. If you're not using your computer at all (hence, idle) for that long, you are clearly not using 1Password either.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I thought I was clear. Sorry, I'll try to clarify.
    Lets just focus on the cloud version, forget stand alone.
    I set auto lock idle for 300 minutes.
    I am using my Macbook all day, without there ever being an unused idle usb keyboard/mouse for more than 30 minutes.
    My Chrome browser never closes once during my entire work day.
    I have to paste in my master password at least 2 or 3 times during my workday.
    I don't like that. I'd like to keep using 1p all day without entering my password more than once as long as I keep my browser open.
    So, if the "idle" time is buggie or not that reliable in all cases, I'd like to have 1p not prompt me for password as long as I have Chrome open.
    Hoping that's clear.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Lets just focus on the cloud version, forget stand alone.

@ckp: I know I'm repeating myself, but to be clear, there is no "cloud version"; 1Password for Mac is 1Password for Mac, and works with either a "standalone" license or a 1Password membership account. :)

I set auto lock idle for 300 minutes. I am using my Macbook all day, without there ever being an unused idle usb keyboard/mouse for more than 30 minutes. My Chrome browser never closes once during my entire work day. I have to paste in my master password at least 2 or 3 times during my workday. I don't like that. I'd like to keep using 1p all day without entering my password more than once as long as I keep my browser open. So, if the "idle" time is buggie or not that reliable in all cases, I'd like to have 1p not prompt me for password as long as I have Chrome open. Hoping that's clear.

Not quite, but that does help. I think maybe you're not using the 1Password desktop extension in your browser. In that case, rather than being "buggie", you're using something completely separate from 1Password for Mac. Can you give me the requested version information you omitted from your original post? I think that will help shed some light on things:

• Exact OS version
    • 1Password app version
    • Browser version
    • 1Password extension version

Thanks in advance! :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I just say Cloud to try to convey when I'm doing not something with the stand alone 1p Mac application found in the Applications folder.
    Anyway...
    macOS 10.14.4 (was 10.14.3 until yesterday)
    1password 7.2.5 is installed as a Mac application
    Chrome 73.0.3683.86
    Safari 12.1
    1password X 1.14.2 extension in Chrome
    1password 7.2.5 extension in Safari

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

and also, I do indeed see one lock related setting in my web based 1p login for auto lock on x idle minutes. but if I look in my stand alone 1p on my Mac there are indeed several lock related settings. you keep saying these are exactly the same but they obviously are not. I can see now that the stand alone app has a lock on idle setting that is set for a different setting than the web login auto lock setting. so that must be the problem. you can consider this cased closed. I found this myself.

• Gotcha. Thanks for the update. To be clear: 1Password X is our extension that does not integrate with the desktop applications. It was designed with folks who don't have the ability or desire to use 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows in mind. We are slowly starting to add some (optional) integration, but that is currently in beta. So any changes you were to make to the 1Password for Mac preferences would not affect 1Password X. If you want tight integration between the extension and the app then you want the more traditional browser extension:

1Password extension (desktop app required)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.