Auto fill for PayPal app not working

msxtj
msxtj
Community Member

Please test it yourself. 1password (latest from Playstore as we speak) does not fill the login form.

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Hi @msxtj! Indeed, 1Password for Android has been having a bit of trouble filling in the PayPal app of late. We're working on tracking the cause and hopefully fixing it before long.

In the meantime, you can use split screen to fill your username and password into PayPal just like this, then (if your phone supports it) fingerprint unlock for all future logins to the PayPal app. I hope that works well enough for you for now!

ref: android-93

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

I see. From the screenshot in the hyperlink, it looks like split screen in landscape mode.

But have you tried that with PayPal? On my Samsung Note 9, I get a pop-up saying that PayPal cannot snap to a split screen.

So I need to copy paste my password to clip board. I use a third party keyboard and I don't want them to know what's in my clipboard.

• Hi @msxtj. I see what you mean. It looks like split screen is indeed not supported in the PayPal app, which unfortunately means you can't drag and drop there. I apologize for the inconvenience. It may be helpful to reach out to their customer support team and request that they add support for split screen and Autofill. In the meantime, we have an open issue regarding this, and our developers will look into it.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Add Spotify to the list. 1password fails to autofill there.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Evernote also

• Hi @msxtj. For the Spotify app, try long pressing in the username or password field, then tapping Autofill. You should be able to fill that way. As to Evernote, unfortunately this is a known issue, and 1Password can't fill here at the moment. You can drag and drop from 1Password into Evernote, though.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

@peri Indeed, thanks for the tip. Long-press>Autofill works for Spotify. Any clues why the pop-up didn't show up in the first place?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's hard to say since we didn't code that app. But we'll see if we can find a way to work around whatever they're doing.

• Dunecat
    Dunecat
    Community Member

Whatever PayPal did, they also broke it for LastPass. You have to think it's intentional, as if they think it's MORE secure to disable password management autofill. FFS

• Sorry to hear this, @Dunecat. It is unfortunate when apps and websites don't support filling. Hopefully this will change in the future.

• Took_Berlin
    Took_Berlin
    Community Member

Any new fix for the PayPal problem?

• Hi @Took_Berlin. Unfortunately we don't have any news regarding filling in PayPal at the moment.

• aatif
    aatif
    Community Member

Paypal still doesn't work. This is quite the pain, and it's saddening that six months later, there still isn't a fix for this. It feels like Android gets step-motherly treatment at times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aatif: Unfortunately we don't have any control over PayPal's app, or their priorities as far as platforms. It works on iOS because they're taking advantage of Autofill APIs there. I'd suggest encouraging them to do so on Android as well, as the tools have been readily available for two years since they were introduced with Oreo (by contrast, 3rd party iOS developers got this just last year). You can direct them to Google's developer resources on the subject:

Optimize your app for autofill (Google)

We have supported Autofill on both platforms since day one on each, so as app developers adopt it 1Password will "just work" there too.

• aatif
    aatif
    Community Member

Ah, I get it. If there were some way for us to copy text to clipboard quickly, would be able to get around lazy app developers who don't optimize for autofill. Wonder if that could be possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aatif: Totally! We'd like to do something like that as well. I'm not sure about just how possible that would be, but if we can find a good way to make it quicker to get to 1Password in situations like these that could really help. Cheers! :)

ref: android-599

• rspeed
    rspeed
    Community Member

Does anyone know if there's an open bug report at PayPal? This is just ridiculous.

• @rspeed I'm not sure if PayPal has opened an issue for this. I recommend reaching out to them to ask about this, as their bug tracker doesn't seem to be public facing.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Another one: Uber.

Now, Uber is quite popular. I expect 1Password staff to reach out to Uber to see how your app could integrate well with it and to file the necessary tickets on behalf of the customers (us).

FYI, the PayPal app is listed ad the #2 most popular app in the finance section on the Playstore.

Better yet would be, as a suggestion, that you list down the top 100 Playstore apps and making sure that 1Password works well with them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@msxtj: We cannot "integrate" with any apps on Android that don't support Google's three year-old APIs to do so. They'd need to implement changes according to Google's guidelines:

Autofill framework (Google)

It's not something we can make anyone do.

When developers have chosen not to add support for Google's Autofill APIs in the last few years, we're still dependent on how the app is coded to try to find a way to fill using Accessibility. They're essentially using a wrapper for a webpage for sign in. If we can find some way to work around that in the future, we will. But rather than just hoping for changes in the OS or 3rd party apps that happen to help, your best bet in those cases will be to encourage those apps' developers to update their apps to support Google's technologies, as they recommend as the platform owner.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

I think you are missing my point. Instead of the 1Password customer encouraging the app devs to improve their code, I am asking 1Password folks, as part of user experience testing, that you check which apps don't behave well with 1Password (and to be fair, we are talking about the top 100 Playstore app; i.e chances that à 1Password User uses these apps are high). Then a 1Password representative will file an official bug report against these apps. (as a start, Uber and PayPal are affected apps).

Please let me know if this request is still not clear or ambiguous.

Think about it, if you make an effort to push PayPal to update their code, 1Password users will be happy. That's why it's your task to do this, not us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@msxtj: Neither of those companies offer a way to file issues except for security vulnerabilities. And, technically, it's not even a bug. It's just them not following Google's guidelines. We're not under the mistaken impression that we're the boss of them. The only one's other than their shareholders which are their "bosses" is their customers. Which is why I suggested that you, as their customer, and others, request that they update their apps to support Autofill. The only thing we can do is improve 1Password to make sure it supports Google's Autofill properly, and find Accessibility workarounds where possible. If we can in these cases, we will... But we're kind of going around in circles here. We do not have the power over billion dollar companies that you seem to think we do.

This discussion has been closed.