1Password 7 prevents disconnection of eGPU

Options
acdx
acdx
Community Member

Hello,

When 1Password 7 is running in the background, an eGPU cannot be safely disconnected unless I "Quit 1Password Completely" first.

This is occurring with a 2018 13 inch MBP and a Blackmagic eGPU.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6 (17G2208)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acdx: I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we don't have direct control over what GPU is used, whether it be external or a discrete graphics chip in a MacBook Pro. Given that, I'm not sure what the solution would be. Are you able to disconnect it after quitting 1Password completely -- Command Option Control Q?

• acdx
    acdx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, that allows me to disconnect the GPU. I think macOS is maybe trying to quit and restart 1Password and 1Password is not letting it? Disconnecting an eGPU restarts a lot of applications.

I suspect at some point more complaints will start rolling in about this once people start buying these, unless there's something unique about my setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, that allows me to disconnect the GPU. I think macOS is maybe trying to quit and restart 1Password and 1Password is not letting it? Disconnecting an eGPU restarts a lot of applications.

@acdx: Thanks for verifying. I'm glad that works. It's a bit confusing because 1Password continues running in the background when all of its windows are closed in order to facilitate browser integration. But it can be quit completely using the keyboard shortcut I mentioned above, or from the 1Password app menu by holding Control and Option.

I suspect at some point more complaints will start rolling in about this once people start buying these, unless there's something unique about my setup.

I think you're right. Honestly I'm not sure why similar things don't come up more often with MacBook Pros with discrete GPUs since the OS handles switching to (and from) those automatically too. For a while it was a popular topic. We didn't change anything because we couldn't, but perhaps some changes Apple made in more recent OS releases made it smarter. That doesn't sound particularly optimistic, but since other apps will be affected by external GPUs as well because of how switching works in macOS, I think it's an issue that Apple will be aware of and motivated to address. It seems like macOS simply switching everything back to the internal GPU when disconnecting the external one would resolve it. Probably just requires some work in the OS like when dual-GPU MacBook Pros were introduced. There were a lot of issue with those at first too, but it's much more seamless now. So it seems like there's hope. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

• acdx
    acdx
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah. I don't know if the response of 1Password to various OS quit/termination signals is different from other applications, could that be preventing the OS from automatically quitting it? Just guessing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah it's a bit weird. It almost seems like macOS is trying to close a 1Password window when none exists, instead of just terminating the process. The App Store also has similar difficulty quitting 1Password to update in some cases. It's something we're investigating with Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some overlap there.

• enc
    enc
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I am experiencing the exact same thing, with the Blackmagic eGPU and High Sierra. macOS doesn't complain about anything else preventing it from ejecting the eGPU, only 1Password. This seems like a problem on 1Password's end.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. We'll see if there's anything we can do to work around that in the future.

• joostgadellaa
    joostgadellaa
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add my signal as well: Got the same issue with a Mantiz egpu on a 2018 MBP... It is especially annoying since the ejecting sometimes already disables display output to my external monitor, so I can't even see what process is causing the problem, but when reconnecting the monitor, the window that OP posted becomes visible...

• rudy
    edited September 2018
    Options

I'm trying to get an idea of how you're using your eGPUs to figure out what you're doing differently.

I have an eGPU with a Radeon RX 560 in graphics card in it, with 2 4k displays and 2 1080p displays connected to it. I don't get the same warning when I try to disconnect it via the eGPU icon in the menubar. With 1Password 7 running it tells me that it doesn't need the high performance GPU when I view it in activity monitor.

In System Preferences -> Energy Saver do you have automatic graphics switching enabled?

• acdx
    acdx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm using a 13-inch MBP with integrated graphics only, so "automatic graphics switching" or "requires high performance graphics" are not available, even when connected to an eGPU. By the way, 1Password 7 doesn't block eGPU disconnection every time for me, only sometimes.

Speaking of "requires high performance graphics", though, when I switched to 1Password 7 on my previous MBP, which had integrated and dedicated graphics, I was wondering why the laptop was running hotter than usual with reduced battery life. The reason turned out to be that 1Password 7 was "requiring high performance graphics". A restart of 1Password fixed it.

• @enc and @joostgadellaa,

are you two both using an eGPU with a 13 inch MacBook Pro that doesn't have dual GPUs built-in?

@acdx,

Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide a way to step up or step down from the high performance graphics mode. Once you trigger the transition to high performance graphics you're there for the lifetime of your app's run. Do you recall any particular action you did that might've triggered it? if you right click on the column header in Activity Monitor does it let you turn on the requires high performance graphics column? I'm curious if that's something that might be possible so that you could watch it and see if there's some action you're doing that causes it to make that transition from No to Yes.

• joostgadellaa
    joostgadellaa
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy Correct, I only have integrated graphics.

• acdx
    acdx
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy,

About the incident on my previous 15-inch MBP, I unfortunately can't remember any particular cause, it was a long time ago.

On the 13-inch, that column in Activity Monitor is not available for selection even when connected to an eGPU.

I think if this disconnection issue recurs, I'll try to see if 1Password will respond to a SIGTERM signal. I've since had this disconnection problem happen with a couple of other processes too, particularly Apple's "QuickLookUIService", and the common factor seems to be that the processes don't terminate on receiving SIGTERM.

• @acdx,

Its certainly possible QuickLook could be tripping this. The way Apple implemented QuickLook Previews changed from pre-10.10 implementations. It now does the rendering out-of process and makes use of something called a NSRemoteView to get the presentation into the application itself. The result of that is that its making use CoreAnimation layers that are rendering out of process rather than in-process. I'll take a look on Monday and see what I can find.

• @acdx,

what does gfxCardStatus show when you're in this state?

• sfjohnston
    sfjohnston
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, this issue exists without an eGPU. I'm on a 2018 macbookpro (High Sierra, not yet Mojave) and noticed in energy status that 1Password7 was "Using Significant Energy". Going to activity center showed it as "Requires High Perf GPU".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nope.

• erlandsen
    erlandsen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. MacBook Pro 2018 15" High Sierra. I run Adobe CC, Parallels, CAD and 3D rendering software on a daily basis; yet the only application giving me issues with the eGPU setup is 1password. Kind of ironic – and very irritating. (Perhaps passwords are just way more graphics intensive than I was aware of...)

• Hi @erlandsen @sfjohnston ,

Have you looked into rudy's QuickLook comment above? That could be doing it. To reiterate, there is no point in the code that requests a dedicated video card or eGPU, and the app is built to not require one. The macOS provides video resources to the apps as needed and we have no control over that. But if you can figure out when the "requirement" is activated, we can look into why the OS thinks so. Right now, QuickLook on a document is probably the best place to look.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• sfjohnston
    sfjohnston
    Community Member
    Options

The issue went away on my 2018 macbook pro 15" when I upgraded to Mojave.
    "Activity Monitor" matches brenty's screenshot for Mojave. Problem definitely existed under High Sierra that shipped with the MBP.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @sfjohnston.

Ben

• erlandsen
    erlandsen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin - If I understand correctly, this is if I manually trigger QuickLook? In short: I rarely do this in relation to 1Password.
    In fact: I rarely have the 1Password app open at all when trying to disconnect my eGPU. It is usually the background helper(s) that's triggering this in my case.

• rudy
    edited November 2018
    Options

@erlandsen,

if you quit 1Password completely (command + option + control + q) and then launch it fresh does Activity Monitor immediately report that it requires the high performance GPU?

If you then unlock does it trigger it to change its reporting in activity monitor?

as you're using it?

which background helpers are you talking about specifically? There are 3 processes that could be running (1Password (Safari), 1Password Extension Helper and 1PasswordNativeMessageHost). None of those should be triggering it as they don't have any UI at all.

• erlandsen
    erlandsen
    Community Member
    Options

A short (and late) update: This problem seems to have gone away more or less completely in Mojave. Since upgrading I don't think I've seen this problem related to 1Password at all.

• Hi erlandsen,

Glad to hear it. If it happens again, please post the answers to rudy's questions above and we'll look into it.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• gguillotte
    gguillotte
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Mojave 10.14.3, 15" 2018 MBP with Radeon Pro 560X, 1Password 7.2.5, not using QuickLook, not using an eGPU.

if you quit 1Password completely (command + option + control + q) and then launch it fresh does Activity Monitor immediately report that it requires the high performance GPU?

1Password starts at login and Activity Monitor lists it as the only running application that requires a high performance GPU.

If I use CTRL-OPT-CMD-Q to quit 1Password and relaunch it manually from Applications, 1Password is NOT listed in Activity Monitor as requiring the high performance GPU.

If you then unlock does it trigger it to change its reporting in activity monitor?

No.

After login and before the hard quit, Activity Monitor reports 1Password as requiring the high performance GPU both before and after unlocking 1Password.

After the hard quit and relaunch, Activity Monitor reports 1Password as NOT requiring high perf GPU both before and after unlocking 1Password.

as you're using it?

As above, no change whether in use or idle.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gguillotte! Welcome to the forum!

And thank you for the information. As Rudy mentioned above, can you please try using QuickLook on a document (after you have relaunched 1Password), and see if that's the action that is triggering the GPU switch?

This discussion has been closed.