Standalone vault on 1Password 7

Options

I recently upgraded to 1Password 7 from v4 because of the issues with Chrome no longer being supported. Before doing so I sought - and got - assurances that I could continue to run a standalone vault with v7. I now discover that I have had all my passwords, logins, etc uploaded and accessible from 1password.com - absolutely not what I intended. Maybe I chose a wrong option somewhere (I have a recollection that the process was not as unambiguous as I would have liked). What do I have to do to get rid of the hosted version?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timhall: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! When you sign up for a 1Password membership account and migrate your data to it -- a multi-step process -- that's always going to be the result. If you want to use 1Password as a "standalone" app instead, you'd need to:

1. Quit 1Password completely from the notification icon
    2. Go to %LOCALAPPDATA\1Password in Windows File Explorer and rename data to data-backup
    3. Restart 1Password and load your original local vault
    4. Purchase a license from the "read-only" notice
    5. And delete your membership account from the bottom of its profile page

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• timhall
    timhall
    Community Member
    Options

So, let me try to spell that out in my own words, because I've done a bit of reading around the site, and I find some of the choice of terminology confusing...

By "license" do you mean "one-time paid-up license" as opposed to "recurring-payment subscription license"? (I suspect you do mean this first option, but the use of the word "license" to describe it is unhelpful as both options are clearly ways to purchase a license to use the product.)

And therefore do I read your comment to mean that using the app in a non-cloud-connected way is incompatible with the subscription-based licensing and therefore has to be done using the one-time license option?

Clarification appreciated please!

• To first clarify the "license" term, @timhall, we actually don't think of a 1Password membership as a license purchase. Yes, your membership does allow you to use all of the 1Password apps, but those are just one small part of a larger service you're paying for. 1Password.com isn't just a feature of the 1Password apps – it's a sync service, provides access to security services like Watchtower and Travel Mode, and includes additional convenience services like maintenance of a complete Item History and facilitating secure sharing in the case of Family, Team and Business accounts. A standalone license, however, is just a license to use the current version of the 1Password app on a given platform. Sync, sharing, backups, etc. are all left in your court.

Now, that said, standalone vaults aren't fundamentally incompatible with a 1Password membership. Indeed, the ability to create and sync standalone vaults is included as part of a 1Password membership. Despite this, we generally do recommend that you purchase a standalone license instead if you intend to exclusively use standalone vaults. 1Password memberships were designed around our hosted service. You need to sign in to your account in your apps to "license" them, which means that your 1Password.com vaults will necessarily be available in your apps. You can create and sync standalone vaults separately from that account, but those vaults won't have access to certain services made possible by 1Password.com. In fact, of the features I mentioned above, only Watchtower is available with a standalone vault. This not only means you need to be extremely careful with your settings to ensure data is saved to your standalone vault(s) as you intend, but also that you're effectively paying for a number of features you aren't able to utilize.

As you might imagine, it's just not a terribly friendly way to set things up. So while we won't (and can't) stop you from purchasing a 1Password membership without utilizing your account or its features, we do discourage doing so as a rule. With a standalone license, you are only paying for and only have access to the features you plan to use – standalone vaults. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.