New 1Password Mini does not appear on some sites

loilo
loilo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I like the new 1Password Mini so far, but I've encountered some pages where it just doesn't pop up when pressing the shortcut.

As far as I can tell, it affects pages where only one pair of username/password is stored but no login mask has been found (e.g. this very discussions.agilebits.com). It seems that 1Password tries to fill in credentials but does not find anything to fill them into.

What I've also found while typing this post is that in this "Ask a question" form, 1Password will override the "Title" field with my username when I press the Mini shortcut — however I can't say whether that's a regression or if it has always been that way.

Just my 2 cents, keep on the great work! :)

1Password Version: 7.3.BETA-2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @loilo,

Was the login page open and visible when you updated to beta 2? i'm curious what happens if you Refresh the page and re-attempt the fill. also, if you click on the 1Password icon in the Safari Toolbar (assuming you're using Safari) does it display mini?

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

@rudy

• I'm on Chrome, but I've just tested and the behavior in Safari is exactly the same.
    • The login page was not open when I updated 1Password. In fact, when I updated 1Password (from 7.2 to 7.3 and 7.3-BETA-1 to 7.3-BETA-2 alike), the Chrome extension immediately stopped working (it behaves as if no 1Password extension was installed) and I have to restart the browser to make it work again. (That said, disabling+enabling the extension may have worked as well, haven't tried that.)

So, long story short: Yes, the behavior persists across refreshes.

• Clicking the 1Password extension icon (in Chrome as well in Safari) shows 1Password Mini below the icon with the correct item selected.

This happens on pages without login masks (where the keyboard shortcut doesn't show 1Password Mini at all) as well as on pages with login masks (where the keyboard shortcut doesn't show 1Password Mini either, but instantly fills the fields and logs me in).

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

For the record: The problem still exists in 7.3-BETA-4.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@loilo: Really the only way we're going to be able to test this to figure out what might be going on is by knowing the URLs. If you're comfortable sharing them here, please do so so we can look into it. Otherwise shoot us an email at support+mac@1password.com with the details and we'll go from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• chadseld
    edited April 2019

STR as far as I can gather:

1. Create an item with a username and password. Use this form as the url https://discussions.agilebits.com.
    2. Make sure there are no other items in your DB that have a matching agilebits.com url.
    3. Navigate in your browser to this discussion https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/102312/new-1password-mini-does-not-appear-on-some-sites. Note, there is no login field on this page.
    4. Try to open 1Password mini using the Command-\ keyboard shortcut.

Expected results:
    1Password mini appears, having failed to fill the web form, since there is nothing to fill.

Actual results:
    1Password mini does not appear.

Does that sound about right?

ref: apple-3468

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

@chadseld Yep, STR are correct.

Sorry for reporting back so late, really need to set up email notifications for this site. :(

Also the little bit of added weirdness that it fills my user name into the post title field when I'm creating a new thread, but I guess that's just 1Password doing its job. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@chadseld Yep, STR are correct.

@loilo: Thank you for confirming!

Sorry for reporting back so late, really need to set up email notifications for this site. :(

Email notifications should be on by default. But we've been having some issues with those. I think that should be resolved now, but you may have not received email notifications while that issue was being investigated. Sorry about that. :blush:

Also the little bit of added weirdness that it fills my user name into the post title field when I'm creating a new thread, but I guess that's just 1Password doing its job. ;)

Can you elaborate? If you're using the mouse or keyboard (⌘ \) to select a Login item to fill, 1Password will try to fill it. So if you're doing that on a page that does not actually have a login form, stuff like that can happen. But if something else is going on, please let us know!

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

Well, I've now got an email this time. :chuffed:

Yep, it happens when I'm using the keyboard shortcut on the "New Discussion" page (e.g. here), the discussion title is filled with my user name. But yes, that's probably intended, even more so when you consider that the title input's name is literally "Name" — I guess that's treated as an indicator for a username field. :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, I've now got an email this time. :chuffed:

@loilo: I am really glad to hear that! :) :+1:

Yep, it happens when I'm using the keyboard shortcut on the "New Discussion" page (e.g. here), the discussion title is filled with my user name. But yes, that's probably intended, even more so when you consider that the title input's name is literally "Name" — I guess that's treated as an indicator for a username field. :wink:

Well, it's intended in the sense that 1Password is doing what you told it to, which we programmed it to do. But I can see how it's not desirable in that case. Perhaps we'll find a way to make 1Password smarter in this regard in the future -- but it's a tough line to walk, since 1Password could end up doing nothing when you want it to do something in other cases. Anyway, if it helps, you can use ⌘ ⌥ \ instead if you just want to open 1Password mini, not fill immediately. Cheers! :)

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

@brenty: For sure a tough line, I really appreciate all your work in dissecting the mess that the DOM often is. :dizzy:

Also thanks for the valuable shortcut, didn't know that one. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha thanks for your words of encouragement! You're very welcome! And for completeness, you can customize both the "fill login" and "open 1Password mini" keyboard shortcuts in 1Password for Mac Preferences > General, if you want to. :chuffed: :+1:

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip about the other shortcut option! I've been having the same issue, so I just switched my shortcut preference for filling/showing logins to be the one just for showing logins and 1password is popping up as expected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

I have matching behavior of ⌘-\ not opening on some pages. I did not create a new page, but just used ⌘-\ while I was reading these posts and nothing happened (I might have wanted to compare something). But ⌘-⌥-\ works.

I am a little surprised to find I need to learn another shortcut.

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

@xz4gb8 I don't think this is the intended behavior. :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's hard to say. If you can share the URLs and version information (OS, 1Password, browser, and extension) we'll be happy to look into it. Otherwise we may not happen to find whatever website issue you're having on our own. We'd have better odds with an actual needle in a haystack. :lol:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/500436#Comment_500436
    1Password 7
    Version 7.3.BETA-7 (70300007)
    AgileBits Beta
    macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
    Release 79 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.14)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Like I said, we'd really need to know the (website and Login) URLs involved to be able to to test it. :)

• loilo
    loilo
    Community Member

Release notes say and I can indeed confirm that this issue has been fixed in 7.3.BETA-16. 🎉
    Thanks a lot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for confirming! Glad to hear the latest beta helped. :)

This discussion has been closed.