The safari extension is saying I need to update Safari, but the App Store says it's up to date

Options
drdreds
drdreds
Community Member

Had to reinstall my OS as a troubleshooting step. After re-starting, my safari extension 1PW icon now has a red alert box on it (see attached image).

When I click on the 1PW icon in the finder menu bar, an alert window comes up to say that I need to update Safari - but Safari is already updated. I deleted the extension and tried to reinstall, but the same problem. Please advise. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: forum-search:Safari plug-in requires Safari update, even though Safari is up to date

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @drdreds

1Password 7.2+ requires Safari 12, which is included with macOS 10.14 (Mojave), but is also available for 10.13. Could you please make sure you've got Safari v12 installed? We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

Thanks.

Ben

• goochisan
    goochisan
    Community Member
    Options

For a variety of reasons, I can not update my OS to Mojave (10.14) and am stuck on Sierra (10.12) and Safari 11.1.2.

Everything has been working just fine until I updated 1Passord today…

AgileBits, I beseech you… Please, please, PLEASE bring back the ability for 1Password to work with my configuration!!! Or, at least, point me back to the version of 1Password that DOES still work with Sierra, so I can downgrade!

THANK YOU!!!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @goochisan

The older style Safari extensions have been deprecated by Apple (they now call them "Legacy Safari Extensions"). As such unfortunately continuing with that is not going to be possible. An older version might work today, but it could stop at any point. That said Safari 12 is compatible with macOS 10.12, as is 1Password 7.2.5. You can use 1Password 7 in Safari 12 with this configuration. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser, but hopefully that will get you by until you can upgrade.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.