Account frozen; multiple accounts

jam9663
jam9663
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Families

I have purchased a 1Password "family" subscription in Feb. of this year... My wife had a separate account that she was using. We decided that we would add her to my account and pay the "family" rate vs having two accounts. Worked just fine, until a few days ago when my wife had to get a new iPhone. During the set-up and the transfer of data...when she tries to log into the 1Password account she gets the message "Account Frozen". She can access the data from her computer but not from the iPhone...or iCloud. My account...the one with the "family subscription" is valid until 2/20. I have tried every stinking DIY article published in the support pages here...and get nowhere. Just keep going in circles...is there someone to talk too...or someone that can help?????

_1Password Version:1Password
Version 6.8.8 (688001)

Extension Version: Not Provided

_OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Beta (18F108f)

Sync Type: Not Provided

Referrer: forum-search:Is it just me or is support non-existent here?

Comments

• Hi @jam9663

We'd be happy to help. It sounds like your wife may have ended up logging into this account:

My wife had a separate account that she was using.

Instead of this account:

We decided that we would add her to my account and pay the "family" rate vs having two accounts.

(i.e. she has two separate accounts -- the old frozen one, and the one that is part of your 1Password Families membership)

If your wife is signed into her account that is part of the 1Password Families membership on her computer she should be able to get her Setup Code from that device, which she can then scan on the iPhone to add that same account to the phone:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

To get back to the welcome screen so she has opportunity to do this she can uninstall and reinstall the 1Password for iOS app. Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

P.S. Once we get this sorted, if that is indeed the situation, we'll probably want to get that original account deleted so as to avoid this kind of confusion in the future.

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app at least 4 times...I have done the "recovery" thing at least 4 times...I've done the Secret Key...Setup Code...no change at all. I'm really frustrated right now because I've done all of those things more than once...

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

Ben, I had one account...she had a different account. I invited her onto my family plan. There was no sense in paying for two subscriptions when we could pay for one. That's why I paid the extra $$ to upgrade.

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

This was all working fine since February until she got a new phone 3 days ago.

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

Do we share the same Secret Key? With two different login passwords?

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

Ben, I have to say, you guys have a great product...been using it for a few years now, but the DIY articles and the product support is TERRIBLE! I don't understand why there isn't a phone line to call....or at the very least a chat box support. This is the 21st century after all. I've spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get this resolved on my own following the tips provided in the "support" links. Finally, posted this thread here in the forum...and have spent an hour here with no other solution other than to go back to the "Find Your Secret Key or Setup Code" link.

• jam9663
    jam9663
    Community Member

I have to say, you guys have a great product...been using it for a few years now, but the DIY articles and the product support is TERRIBLE! I don't understand why there isn't a phone line to call....or at the very least a chat box support. This is the 21st century after all. I've spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get this resolved on my own following the tips provided in the "support" links. Finally, posted this thread here in the forum...and have spent an hour here with no other solution other than to go back to the "Find Your Secret Key or Setup Code" link.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:I have to say, you guys have a great product...been using it for a few years now, but the DIY articles and the product support is TERRIBLE! I don't understand why there isn't a phone line to call....or at the very least a chat box support. This is the 21st century after all. I've spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get this resolved on my own following the tips provided in the "support" links. Finally, posted this thread here in the forum...and have spent an hour here with no other solution other than to go back to the "Find Your Secret Key or Setup Code" link.

• @jam9663

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app at least 4 times...I have done the "recovery" thing at least 4 times...I've done the Secret Key...Setup Code...no change at all. I'm really frustrated right now because I've done all of those things more than once...

She appears to be signing into the wrong account. Recovery isn't going to help when she is signing into a different account than the one you are recovering.

Ben, I had one account...she had a different account. I invited her onto my family plan. There was no sense in paying for two subscriptions when we could pay for one. That's why I paid the extra $$ to upgrade.

Inviting her to join your 1Password Families membership established a separate (2nd) account for her. It wouldn't add her existing account to your membership. She still would have the original one (which it sounds like is now frozen for lack of a subscription) as well. And it sounds like that is the one she is signing into. She'd need to sign into the one that is part of your membership instead. You're right: she probably only needs one. But everything you're saying indicates that she has two, and that is the problem: she is signing into the "wrong" one. She needs to get the Secret Key / Setup Code for the right one, and sign into that one instead.

Do we share the same Secret Key? With two different login passwords?

Separate Secret Keys and separate Master Passwords, unless you both happen to choose the same Master Password. She can get the Secret Key for the correct account from the computer, if she is signed into the correct account there, using the instructions in the "Find your Secret Key [...]" guide:

(for Mac...)

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Preferences.
    3. Click the Accounts icon, then select your account.
    4. Click your Secret Key to copy it. Or click “Set up other devices” to see your Setup Code.

I don't understand why there isn't a phone line to call....or at the very least a chat box support.

Unfortunately we don't have the resources available to offer those options. We do make every attempt to resolve all email and forum inquiries within 24 hours.

I have to say, you guys have a great product...been using it for a few years now, but the DIY articles and the product support is TERRIBLE!

I do apologize for the frustration... I hope the above helps. As I mentioned in my original post to avoid running into this frustration again in the future we'll want to help your wife get the original account deleted once things are sorted out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.