Custom Toolbar Buttons

razord
razord
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hey Guys,

I'm not seeing any button style images under Browsers in preferences, so i'm stuck with the default "1P" icon in my browsers.

This doesn't seem to be a known issue. I'm running 10.6 (10A432).

-Liam

Comments

• roustem
    edited December 1969
    We are reworking how the browser toolbar customization is done.

For now, you please download the attached archive, choose the theme and then copy chosen .png files to this folder. Create the folder if it does not already exist.
    /Users/YOUR-USER-NAME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Custom/ToolbarButtons

The folder structure will look like this:

20090814-ppjiiykpiccce6rfc7gee8n4ni.jpg
  • VTSkier
    edited December 1969
    After creating the Custom folder and expanding the BrowserButton zip, my heirarchy looks like this:
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    VTSkier wrote:
    After creating the Custom folder and expanding the BrowserButton zip, my heirarchy looks like this:

You need to choose one style and copy its images. The .zip archive includes all styles that were available in version 2.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm still having trouble with this.

My desktop machine is running Leopard and FF3.5. Ever since upgrading to 3.5, FF has always shown the grey oval with the lock. That's what I want. However, there is no 1Password > Custom folder at all.

I've now upgraded my laptop to Leopard and FF3.5 and have downloaded 1P3, but FF is showing the Firefox16/Firefox24 buttons. Installing the custom ToolbarButtons folder from above doesn't change that.

Also, my laptop doesn't show the Button Style column in the Browsers preferences window and and only shows Install All Extensions, Remove All Extensions, and Display in Main Menu in the Action menu. (My desktop installation shows options for installing and removing the Input Manager and for changing the toolbar button style.)

My desktop is running 2.9.29, with the terminal upgrade process; my laptop -- the one with the problem -- is running 3.0.0b28. Is this related somehow?
  • jw_randall@mac.com
    edited August 2009
    roustem wrote:
    We are reworking how the browser toolbar customization is done.

For now, you please download the attached archive, choose the theme and then copy chosen .png files to this folder. Create the folder if it does not already exist.

This worked fine for me. The 1P button was no where to be found but is available now. Thanks.
    MacPro 2008, 10.6, 1Password 3 beta.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    mrtoner wrote:
    I'm still having trouble with this.

My desktop machine is running Leopard and FF3.5. Ever since upgrading to 3.5, FF has always shown the grey oval with the lock. That's what I want. However, there is no 1Password > Custom folder at all.

We plan to make it easier in future. At this moment it needs to be created manually.

mrtoner wrote:
    I've now upgraded my laptop to Leopard and FF3.5 and have downloaded 1P3, but FF is showing the Firefox16/Firefox24 buttons. Installing the custom ToolbarButtons folder from above doesn't change that.

Also, my laptop doesn't show the Button Style column in the Browsers preferences window and and only shows Install All Extensions, Remove All Extensions, and Display in Main Menu in the Action menu. (My desktop installation shows options for installing and removing the Input Manager and for changing the toolbar button style.)

Button Style column is gone. We plan to ship the standard set of "1P" icons with 1Password and have other styles to be downloaded separately.

I think that it can be done similar to Adium Xtras where you just download the file, double-click on it and the customization is installed automatically. Not that we are going to make 1Password fully customizable but I feel that it is a good solution for toolbar icons.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Sorry, Roustem, I haven't made myself clear:

On my desktop machine, I updated 1P2 to 1P3 using the terminal hack. Since doing so, FF3.5 shows the correct icon (keyhole in a grey oval) for the 1P button -- even though there is no Custom folder. (Although there seem to be some other issues with this version due to the update process -- see my other posts.)

On my laptop, I downloaded 1P3. FF3.5 shows the FF16/FF24 icons. There is no Custom folder. When I create it and use the icons and process you provided above, the only change I see is that any new window shows "1P" in a grey oval for the 1P button, then immediately switches to the FF16/FF24 icon.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    mrtoner wrote:
    Sorry, Roustem, I haven't made myself clear:

On my desktop machine, I updated 1P2 to 1P3 using the terminal hack. Since doing so, FF3.5 shows the correct icon (keyhole in a grey oval) for the 1P button -- even though there is no Custom folder. (Although there seem to be some other issues with this version due to the update process -- see my other posts.)

On my laptop, I downloaded 1P3. FF3.5 shows the FF16/FF24 icons. There is no Custom folder. When I create it and use the icons and process you provided above, the only change I see is that any new window shows "1P" in a grey oval for the 1P button, then immediately switches to the FF16/FF24 icon.

By terminal hack, do you mean "DevFeaturesUI" setting? This was used for almost 6 months to develop 3.0 in parallel with supporting version 2. At some point we had to branch 3.0 codebase and it is now very different. You need to download 3.0 BETA-28.

I will look at FF3.5 issue.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    By terminal hack, do you mean "DevFeaturesUI" setting? This was used for almost 6 months to develop 3.0 in parallel with supporting version 2. At some point we had to branch 3.0 codebase and it is now very different. You need to download 3.0 BETA-28.

I will look at FF3.5 issue.

Yep. I don't recall seeing any message about "hey, stop using this version and download this separate version." It wasn't until I upgraded to Leopard on my laptop, downloaded a fresh copy of 1P and went to find the DevFeaturesUI setting that I realized there was a change. Of to download another copy...
  • Taliesin2
    edited December 1969
    I would love too see the 1password icon in the dock in use as an icon in Safari. That would rock!
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Taliesin2 wrote:
    I would love too see the 1password icon in the dock in use as an icon in Safari. That would rock!

Now that custom icons can be configured you can give it a try. It will be difficult to make it look good at such a small size though.
  • PrincessMattakiStar
    edited December 1969
    I went ahead and upgraded to build 30, followed all the directions to create a custom toolbar button folder etc., but they are still not showing up under preferences. Did something revert from build 29, or is there a step that i am missing?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    I went ahead and upgraded to build 30, followed all the directions to create a custom toolbar button folder etc., but they are still not showing up under preferences. Did something revert from build 29, or is there a step that i am missing?

Sorry for the confusion. There will be no preferences for the custom toolbar buttons in version 3.0.

Instead, creating the "~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Custom/ToolbarButtons" folder and placing a set of ".png" files in it will allow you to use any custom icons.
  • mreed
    mreed
    Community Member
    edited August 2009
    I followed your instructions and went to customize the toolbar in Safari. One fo the custom icons was available, but when I tried to insert it the default button remained.
    Version 3.0.0.BETA-30 (build 30030)
  • mreed
    mreed
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It seems that I needed to log out and back in for the changes to appear.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    mreed wrote:
    It seems that I needed to log out and back in for the changes to appear.

Thank you for the update. Usually restarting the browser should be enough to get the new icon.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello,

I do not have that custom folder in my 1password folder !???

Do I need to tash and reinstall all together ?
    if so won't I loose my license ?

Thanks
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Gilles9 wrote:
    Hello,

I do not have that custom folder in my 1password folder !???

Do I need to tash and reinstall all together ?
    if so won't I loose my license ?

Thanks

Did you download and copy them to the custom folder?
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello,

I wouldn't know wher to download them from, and as said I do not have a custom folder (indeed, I can create one)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    See post # 2 in this thread under the pic there is a zip file.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello

thightower wrote:
    See post # 2 in this thread under the pic there is a zip file.

Oh!!! I should have read more carefully

Thanks
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    No problem,

I read the thread and still didn't see it till it was mentioned by roustem in a thread somewhere else.
  • MattyGB
    edited December 1969
    Hello,

So I've downloaded the zip file, created the necessary folders in my user library and copied over the Safari and Firefox keyhole icons that I want, into the ToolBarButtons folder, logged out and in again but I still have the '1P' toolbar icons both in Safari and FF.

Image of my folder-structure is attached.

How do I actually tell it to use the keyhole one instead of the iP one?? :^)
  • statman
    statman
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    worked like a charm for me...thanks.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    MattyGB wrote:
    Hello,

So I've downloaded the zip file, created the necessary folders in my user library and copied over the Safari and Firefox keyhole icons that I want, into the ToolBarButtons folder, logged out and in again but I still have the '1P' toolbar icons both in Safari and FF.

Image of my folder-structure is attached.

How do I actually tell it to use the keyhole one instead of the iP one?? :^)

Please copy all the icons. I only see Safari.png which is the icon that was used in Safari 2 and DEVONagent. You'll need SafariL.png for the most recent versions of Safari.
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Why is this randomly missing from 3.0? Seems like an odd thing to have to do manually now that 3.0 is live?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    "randomly"? I assume it just didn't make it into the 3.0 release.

Work on future releases is already underway. :)
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    DBrown wrote:
    "randomly"? I assume it just didn't make it into the 3.0 release.

Work on future releases is already underway. :)

But this already existed... I would understand for something that was *new* not making into 3.0 but I would have expected at least the 2.0 features to have been transferred to 3.0...

Seems like a random oversight to me :)
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    binaryeric wrote:
    But this already existed... I would understand for something that was *new* not making into 3.0 but I would have expected at least the 2.0 features to have been transferred to 3.0...

Seems like a random oversight to me :)

Yes, it already existed, but in a very different form. Customization of the toolbar items is being reworked to be more flexible and robust. This is similar to how the 1Password bookmarklet for Mobile Safari went away and came back for 1Password 3. The toolbar button options just didn't make it back for 3.0. Hopefully we'll have the customization features sorted out for a new release soon.
  • rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:
    Customization of the toolbar items is being reworked to be more flexible and robust.

I sincerely hope that customisation of Wallet items is taking precedence though because the toolbars are cosmetic whereas the Wallet customisation is essential for those of us who do not live in the US! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.