Have to enter master password every 5 hours

It's super annoying that every 5 hours I have to enter my master password on my my.1password.com web page in Chrome. It's set for 300 minutes. I'm working on my Macbook literally the entire day without a mouse keyboard break ever extending beyond 30 minutes and yet when around 5 hours hits it loses my login state. This has been the case since I've been evaluating 1password.com a few weeks ago.
Macbook Pro 2017 10.14.4, Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103, 1password X 1.14.3, usb keyboard and mouse plugged into external monitor's usb 3 port, External monitor usb 3 is plugged into macbook pro's thunderbolt 3 to usb 3/hdmi adapter. Macbooks have no built in usb ports anymore.
Please fix this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ckp Is this a joke? 5 hours is 5X60=300 minutes.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

yes, i set idle time to 300 minutes, or 5 hours, because that's the max idle time you can set. that means i should not have to enter my password unless i'm not touching the mouse/keyboard for 5+ hours straight. not sure what it is about this that makes you think it's a joke. if i'm going to pay for a subscription, i expect the settings to work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp!

Just to clarify: does your 1Password X lock after 300 minutes regardless of whether you are using your computer or not in that time?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I would say yes. I do the same thing every weekday starting in the early AM. Login to laptop (wake laptop from sleep), enter the 1p password, work on the laptop all day, around 5 hours later have to enter it again, next 5 hours again , and so on. it might not seem like a big deal, bu tit is to me as it really disrupts my workflow. it always seems to strike when i'm in a hurry to login to some website. thanks.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying that. I've got a couple questions for you –

• Do you have the Lock when device goes to sleep setting triggered on?
    • Do you fully close Chrome at any point during the day?

I'm also curious about your max idle setting. You mentioned it was 300 minutes, but you should be able to go all the way up to 999 minutes. I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the issue here, but I'm wondering where you heard the 300 minute max from.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Do you have the Lock when device goes to sleep setting triggered on?

Sleep is disabled, but the system is not even getting locked at all as I'm on it all day

Do you fully close Chrome at any point during the day?

I never close Chrome. I know that if you do, it will kill the authenticated session

Sounds like you have never tried setting above 300 minutes and going back to check it, as it will not be set above 300.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

in case i didn't clarify. I have to enter the master password in the regular my.1password.com. but the extension x also makes me enter it there too. the two dont seem to be in sync as i can enter it on 1password.com and still have to enter it again in the chrome extension x.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

i now see that teh extension ALSO has idle settings. that explains why kaitlyn asked about the 300 minute max as it has a different max than the idle settings in my.1password.com, ok so the my.1password.com still is the issue i've been talking about having to enter every 300 minutes. the toolbar extension x is now set to 600 minutes, so i'll see if that one actually works. if it does, i can use that most of the time. but i still like to look in my.1password.com sometimes for stuff, so i would like that idle setting to work as well.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ckp,

I can see how the multiple idle settings can make for confusion. The 1Password X extension has an idle setting, the 1Password for Mac native application has an idle setting and so does the web interface for the 1Password account. 1Password X and the native 1Password application use the words system or computer when they talk about idling and both do use idle system time. The website though doesn't.

1Password will lock in this browser when closed or after it is idle for 10 minutes.

Here idle time is based on when you last interacted with the page rather than the computer. This is why it's locking when you believe it shouldn't. What I'm less certain of is whether a web page can monitor system idle time and whether it's a good measurement to be using here. It might be using the native application is an option given it does behave similar to 1Password X once its default settings have been adjusted to better suit your needs.

This discussion has been closed.